4th and 1 question

Instead of Crouch I would maybe use Mathew Butler,I remember part of his HS film showed him used as TB.He was pretty nimble for a big guy. Just a thought!
Butler has gained 50 # since high school days to be a DL . Not as nimble anymore:p

Too bad our redzone offense is one of the worst in the country, we could have seen more of Crouch.

Reactions: 508mikey
Yeah, I was just trying to find some type of logic behind it. Kind of a head scratcher on why we don’t put him in on 4th and 1 situations

if it's for a TD, he'll get a shot, if not he won't...coaches throw him a bone to keep the dog happy...:D

GO BIG ORANGE!

Well we have to do what the chart says. No but seriously, it probably has to be about field position. Don't make it at the goal line, they have the length of the field and even though we didn't get the points, odds are better that we get the ball back. 4 and 1 anywhere else, we don't get points and the other team doesn't have as far to score. That's my guess anyways.
I think most teams know that JG is not very accurate on the shoeter passes and they are willing to go Mam on man in the short yardage play in the red zone. In the open field, the recievers can get open and get the 50-50 balls. Therefore, when we are in the red zone, we need a power runner who can break tackle and score. One of the new RBs, both big and powerful, have a much better chance of scoring or getting a first down in short yardage situations. With the off eseason S&C, we will be much better in the red zone next year.

I think most teams know that JG is not very accurate on the shoeter passes and they are willing to go Mam on man in the short yardage play in the red zone. In the open field, the recievers can get open and get the 50-50 balls. Therefore, when we are in the red zone, we need a power runner who can break tackle and score. One of the new RBs, both big and powerful, have a much better chance of scoring or getting a first down in short yardage situations. With the off eseason S&C, we will be much better in the red zone next year.

To finish your statement in this sentence ----- or the intermediate or long passes,

How come on 4th and 1 on the goal line we bring in Crouch and he usually makes it. But on 4th and 1 anywhere else on the field we don’t use him. Am I’m missing something??
As a UT fan you're not missing a thing. Our coaches are missing something. Look at the stats and find UT near the bottom on 4th down conversions and red zone effiecency. UT defense is what kept us in games for the most part. We're just not executing at a high-level offensively mainly because teams feel and play us to beat them by passing.

He is only in to get the first down. Nobody expects him to take it to the house.
Good logic, but he was an electric RB in HS. Only came here because he was told he would be played primarily as a LB. Also, if his ceiling is as high at LB as touted, you don't want to risk injury to a potential key part of the defense every time there is short yardage.

Well we have to do what the chart says. No but seriously, it probably has to be about field position. Don't make it at the goal line, they have the length of the field and even though we didn't get the points, odds are better that we get the ball back. 4 and 1 anywhere else, we don't get points and the other team doesn't have as far to score. That's my guess anyways.
I read something about 10 years ago about how teams chart things based on down, distance, field position. And that some analytics whiz did some research showing those charts to be a bunch of crap. That going for it on 4th down is something that should be done WAY more than it is and that punting is a bad idea almost anywhere on the field unless you need more than 8 yards or something for the first down. It basically said that you should go at it like you were playing Madden.

Reactions: memtownvol
Now days to be great you have to score on almost every possession. To do that you can't get to 4th down very many times in a game. We need 40-50 points a game, 30-40 points against the big 3. We can kick field goals well though.

How come on 4th and 1 on the goal line we bring in Crouch and he usually makes it. But on 4th and 1 anywhere else on the field we don’t use him. Am I’m missing something??
Good question. The coaches spend time watching video. I'm sure they have a limited package for Crouch that they want to save. He also doesn't run the ball much. You never want to fumble but you win on field position by fumbling at the opponent's goal line rather than their 45.

Rickyvol77,did you watch the Titans/Patriots game?A 250 pound ran with the ball and did just fine.Is it a penalty to have a 247lb. running back/linebacker run 50yards.I think no.

Because he makes $5000 per TD but only $100 for a 1St Down! Risk vs Reward thing

Good logic, but he was an electric RB in HS. Only came here because he was told he would be played primarily as a LB. Also, if his ceiling is as high at LB as touted, you don't want to risk injury to a potential key part of the defense every time there is short yardage.

He was hurt in HS hence playing LB now

VN Store

Back