#4 on rivals

i agree we fell behind the pack last year. our talent level took a big hit. i also think it will hurt us real bad in the upcoming year. i thought this year we would be lucky to have a top 20 class though and he has done really well. i just hope some of these players can step in as freshman or we may have a bad season next year.

that's what I've been trying to point out, you just cant take a year off in recruiting and expect it not to matter. We had some moderate success on the field this year and our present class looks good, but the effects of last year will linger for some time. If you're starting freshman in the SEC, you're in trouble

Griping about being 3rd in the SEC while being 4th in the nation in recruiting(especially this early) is "questionable" at best.

UGA-17 of 21 commits are either from Georgia or are coming out of prep/JUCO. We don't have that luxury.

UF-14 of 20 commits are either from Florida or are coming out of JUCO. Again, we don't have the luxury of recruiting so many instate.

I wholy believe that we will finish ahead of UGA and will finish in the top 5. I would say around 4 being behind USC, Texas(unless the loss of Chizik loses recruits), and very near UF(maybe even ahead).

HV, what happened to Chizik? Was he fired? Texas gave up a lot of points this year but his D won the NC last year. Gene was a former graduate assistant at Tennessee. When he was at Auburn I thought he was the second coming of Bob Stoops and was secretely hoping one day he would be at UT (the real UT).

that's what I've been trying to point out, you just cant take a year off in recruiting and expect it not to matter. We had some moderate success on the field this year and our present class looks good, but the effects of last year will linger for some time. If you're starting freshman in the SEC, you're in trouble
Tebow, Coker, Foster last year,your boy mcfadden last year, little from kentucky last year, crompton did ok this year, matt stafford, mitch mustain........

HV, what happened to Chizik? Was he fired? Texas gave up a lot of points this year but his D won the NC last year. Gene was a former graduate assistant at Tennessee. When he was at Auburn I thought he was the second coming of Bob Stoops and was secretely hoping one day he would be at UT (the real UT).

The loss of Chizik won't hurt Texas much in recruiting. Mack Brown is the selling point, a very good recruitier. Doesn't hurt that Austin is an awesome place to live and a very easy place to attract talent.

Man, #4 ranking is awesome, much better than I would have hoped for - and we are still leading the running for Donald and Berry, right?

I could care less if Florida and Georgia are #2 and #3. Recruiting is so subjective, how can you honestly separate the 2, 3, 4...? The fact that we are in the top 5 is a solid indicator of a large measure of success. That really made my morning...!

Tebow, Coker, Foster last year,your boy mcfadden last year, little from kentucky last year, crompton did ok this year, matt stafford, mitch mustain

Coker didnt do much outside of the bad teams. Foster, same thing last year. Tebow is situational. Crompton was less than ok in my book, same for Mustain. Stafford came on at the end of the year but his season stats have lots of picks. I think only McFadden and Little were the clear good seasons for a freshman.

Tebow, Coker, Foster last year,your boy mcfadden last year, little from kentucky last year, crompton did ok this year, matt stafford, mitch mustain........

Tebow doesn't start.
Coker started very little games
Foster - 5-6 year
McFadden - 4-7 last year
Little wasn't a freshman last year
Stafford didn't start much - UGA had their worst season in 6 years
Mustain started ... 4 games?

Coker didnt do much outside of the bad teams. Foster, same thing last year. Tebow is situational. Crompton was less than ok in my book, same for Mustain. Stafford came on at the end of the year but his season stats have lots of picks. I think only McFadden and Little were the clear good seasons for a freshman.

Little was a sophomore last season.

Well I am pleased with the efforts this year, because we are up right now 19 SPOTS from last year. WE may not be at #4 after National Signing Day, but the popularity in our program this year proves that last seasons 5-6 record was a fluke and didn't affect as bad as we thought it might. I think we will end up in the Top 5-8 personally, but that doesn't mean anything other than we had a great class once again. I want these guys to realize they have to come in here and grow up fast. This is the SEC, not C-USA, where you have to be physical and knock some teeth out. The more physical we get this year and next, will determine whether we are gonna be a contender in 08. We already know that we WILL be a contender in 07 and will probably be ranked in the TOP 5 in both polls. I just hope that Fulmer keeps our team away from the TVs so we don't get the big head and we play as an underdog instead of a favorite.

Yep, it isn't always about the ranking but how you filled your needs. We had 4 huge needs in this class(DL, DB, WR, and SPEED). We will end up filling these needs greatly. The other positions are just for depth.

I do not think that we planned to fall of as much in recruiting as we did last season. I think that the failure of last season resulted in falling of AS MUCH as we did. But, I actually think part of our recruiting philosophy is to subdue every other class. Have a really strong class like 2 years ago, and then drop down a little bit. So this is on course to be another big year again. I think we do that because it allows us to use playing time as a recruiting tool every other year when we try to assemble our monster classes every other year.

I'd say a few will be able. It is only early December though. We have two months to go so we could jump up some more, or slip some.

Is there honestly that much of a difference in the overall talent level from 3rd to 4th in the recruiting rankings? Even from 2nd to 5th? I could see the "We're far behind Georgia, Florida, etc." gripe if the Vols had about the 25th rated class again this year, but they don't.

Excellent point. It could come down to dead even but they get a 4* and we have a 3*, at that point who is to say until we see how it all shakes out but because of that 1* we are falling way behind. :whatever:

I do not think that we planned to fall of as much in recruiting as we did last season. I think that the failure of last season resulted in falling of AS MUCH as we did. But, I actually think part of our recruiting philosophy is to subdue every other class. Have a really strong class like 2 years ago, and then drop down a little bit. So this is on course to be another big year again. I think we do that because it allows us to use playing time as a recruiting tool every other year when we try to assemble our monster classes every other year.

you may be right, but I really cant see the coaches saying, "OK guys, lets NOT attract the top talent this year. This year we're only going after mid-level talent." I wish USC and Texas would copy that approach and then maybe the rest of the nation could land a 5 star.

We were after tons of top tier talent last year and they slowly started to drop us as a result of our season.

I was looking at recruiting for the last 5 years, if we all agree that there is not much difference between 5th and 10th in recruiting. Then you could say that even with last years bad class, we are pretty even with Ga and Fl. I averaged out the classes, since 02 we have an average class of 10, FL has an average of 9, and Ga has an average of 6. This is the average of both scout and rivals and all 5 years.

Another thing is the discrepency of the class of 03, Scout had it as the 7th ranked class and rivals had it at 18th. This is the class with Meachem, Swain, Brett Smith, Sears, Mcbride, B. Cottam, Fellows, McDaniel, Colquitt, etc. Some of these are also listed in 04, so I dont know if rivals ranks the red shirts or what.

Fl also had a sub par class in o2 (20th). They followed that up with a sub par year 03 8-5,04 7-5, 05 9-3, 06 12-1 to this point. Also in 04 they had another mediocre class rank of 11 on scout and 15th on rivals.

I guess what I am trying to say is that one bad year of recruiting will ot have that great of an impact, if we had serveral we would be in deep trouble.

I was looking at recruiting for the last 5 years, if we all agree that there is not much difference between 5th and 10th in recruiting. Then you could say that even with last years bad class, we are pretty even with Ga and Fl. I averaged out the classes, since 02 we have an average class of 10, FL has an average of 9, and Ga has an average of 6. This is the average of both scout and rivals and all 5 years.

Another thing is the discrepency of the class of 03, Scout had it as the 7th ranked class and rivals had it at 18th. This is the class with Meachem, Swain, Brett Smith, Sears, Mcbride, B. Cottam, Fellows, McDaniel, Colquitt, etc. Some of these are also listed in 04, so I dont know if rivals ranks the red shirts or what.

Fl also had a sub par class in o2 (20th). They followed that up with a sub par year 03 8-5,04 7-5, 05 9-3, 06 12-1 to this point. Also in 04 they had another mediocre class rank of 11 on scout and 15th on rivals.

I guess what I am trying to say is that one bad year of recruiting will ot have that great of an impact, if we had serveral we would be in deep trouble.

There you go, polluting a perfectly good image of how terribly far behind we are falling in the recruiting battle with your facts. :birgits_giggle:

There you go, polluting a perfectly good image of how terribly far behind we are falling in the recruiting battle with your facts. :birgits_giggle:

I think fulmer is a great recruiter, and while i was looking up all these facts, I was actually surprised with the consistency that Ga has. I thought we had been competing with FL in recruiting and Ga is really the top dawg in recruiting in the sec east. Just shows that recruiting isnt everything, because Ga has had a great class the last five years and look at this season for them.

What's up with these Tennessee "fans" that only see the negative in everything our football program achieves.

What's up with these Tennessee "fans" that only see the negative in everything our football program achieves.

I think a top ten average in recruiting over a 5 year period is great. I was actually surprised that Ga was that good at recruiting. I thought that this year was a great success, compared to what most post were predicting at the beginning of the season. If my post sounded negative, I appoligize that you misinterrpreted. I do feel fulmer needs assistants to work on developing the talent we get. But overall I am happy with the success that we had this year.

VN Store

Back