4-2-5 Defense

With a 3-3-5 I would worry about the down linemen not getting enough pressure. A more aggressive and athletic offensive line might be able to get off the line better but other than that the two are similar.

Yea, when we've tried to play the 3-4 we just haven't had the linemen to do it...not only does the DL get easily blocked but the good teams get bodies on the LBs and that pretty much negates one of the biggest benefits of the 3-4. I love the 3-4 front IF you have the caliber players to play it.

Yea, when we've tried to play the 3-4 we just haven't had the linemen to do it...not only does the DL get easily blocked but the good teams get bodies on the LBs and that pretty much negates one of the biggest benefits of the 3-4. I love the 3-4 front IF you have the caliber players to play it.
The 3 DL in the 3-3-5 have somewhat different responsibilities than in a traditional 3-4. They’re more attacking and less blocker occupying. A NT lines up on the Center but creates a push…more like a 4-3 DT. It allows for more versatility and coverage whilst rewarding aggressiveness.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Tulsa exclusively runs a 3-3-5 and gave Heupel fits last season…to the tune of snapping UCF’s 21 game winning streak. I think it’s why we heard tires being kicked on Zach Arnett, who’s maybe the best current 3-3-5 DC.
My God, the procedure calls against UCF. If TN has that many false starts, I'll have to put chicken wire in front of my TV to keep the remote from breaking the screen when I throw it........

Tulsa did well with the 3-3, but UCF helped them out by executing terribly in that game. I might watch another couple of Tulsa's games. Thx. Interesting to think about.

Reactions: LittleVol
My God, the procedure calls against UCF. If TN has that many false starts, I'll have to put chicken wire in front of my TV to keep the remote from breaking the screen when I throw it........

Tulsa did well with the 3-3, but UCF helped them out by executing terribly in that game. I might watch another couple of Tulsa's games. Thx. Interesting to think about.
They were a salty bunch. My take is they played a level above their rankings…good indicators of coaching and scheme.

Reactions: SayUWantAreVOLution
I dont care if its a 1-1-9 defense as long as there's not a WR standing in the middle of the field wide f+++g open waiving his arms for the pass like in Pruitt's game plan

Didn't we hire Pruitt because he was a defensive guru? It just seems like his defenses were poor and predictable and he left us very lean on defense.

I prefer the 4-4-4 defense, It just gets more players on the field.
You're joking but with all the advantages an office has in the modern game, I would be in favor of 11 offensive players going against 12 defensive to balance things out a bit.

Speed and tackling correctly are the biggest s keys. If our coaches teach those fundamentals and the players are fast to the ball, I think a 4-2-5 or 3-3-5 can work in the SEC

Reactions: LittleVol
I think you are asking an awful lot of your D line when using a 3 man front.
Gotta have a pass rushing OLB assisting or hitting the gaps and some BIG mfers upfront. And a lot of depth at DL… it’ll take some different recruits to make this viable, especially assuming the tempo of the offense

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I think coaches that aren't playing situational defense based on the offensive personnel are going to get smoked. I don't care what allignment you call it.

In todays college world you better have ends that can rush and play the field. You can classify them as DE or OLB but they better be able to do both.

Safeties have gotten smaller and are better covers than 10 years ago. You can classify as CB or FS but they all better cover.

Just get your best alignment based on what the offense is doing. If you aren't doing some of it all, you won't fare well against good offenses.

I’m a football nerd and love to doodle offensive plays and things of that nature. I’m not very smart or anything I just do it for fun. Anyway the more I think it seems that a 4-2-5 defense might be the most optimal defense in the modern game. I’ve seen the Patriots do a 5-1-5 once and it was fantastic. In my opinion the 4-2-5 would reduce the amount of talent needed to play good defense in this era. I think with a decent defensive line and competent safeties a defense with mediocre linebackers and decent corners could really punch above it’s weight. I’m interested to here what y’all think.

Well for the time being we have more proven Safeties than LBs.

Tulsa exclusively runs a 3-3-5 and gave Heupel fits last season…to the tune of snapping UCF’s 21 game winning streak. I think it’s why we heard tires being kicked on Zach Arnett, who’s maybe the best current 3-3-5 DC.
They also gave Ohio State fits yesterday.

5-1-5 seems to be the best. Linebackers don’t do anything anyway, so toss 1 in there to keep someone on scholly. Force 1-1 matchups with the o-line equaling the total d linemen, 5 DBs allows us to do a man d against a 5 wide with the loan linebacker either blitzing to gain an attacking advantage or sitting in a zone in the middle of the field to help with the slants

/blue
"Loan" linebacker?

High interest?
Do we have to pay it back?
Credit dependant?
Collateral?

I just don't know how this position works 😕

I’m a football nerd and love to doodle offensive plays and things of that nature. I’m not very smart or anything I just do it for fun. Anyway the more I think it seems that a 4-2-5 defense might be the most optimal defense in the modern game. I’ve seen the Patriots do a 5-1-5 once and it was fantastic. In my opinion the 4-2-5 would reduce the amount of talent needed to play good defense in this era. I think with a decent defensive line and competent safeties a defense with mediocre linebackers and decent corners could really punch above it’s weight. I’m interested to here what y’all think.

If you have the D-Line and ILBs to run it. You need monsters that can stop the run and get pressure; ideally w/o blitzing often.

That’s a tall order against top tier teams but can be done. Of course, there’s isn’t any one defense that’s a cure all. You have to fight for the best matchups week to week and scheme accordingly.

If you have the D-Line and ILBs to run it. You need monsters that can stop the run and get pressure; ideally w/o blitzing often.

That’s a tall order against top tier teams but can be done. Of course, there’s isn’t any one defense that’s a cure all. You have to fight for the best matchups week to week and scheme accordingly.
It is a big ask. I was at a highschool game few days ago just watching, it was maddening watching a team persist with the 3-4 against the spread, against a team with maybe elite speed

Reactions: GoVols64
In order for a 3-3-5 to work the S&C program would have to be very legit and at least 2 of the 3 DL would have to be beast lane cloggers. That’s not happening with our current roster. We don’t have the horses on the DL.

Still need to have Jimmy's and Joe's with any defense.

Clemson and Ohio State run a ton on 3-3-5.

Therein lies the problem, Tennessee can’t seem to get the better Jimmy’s and Joe’s.

UT’s 5 star recruits turn out to be 3 star players at best…. more often than not!

VN Store

Back