3rd party thoughts on these Vols

Penalties threw off the flow of the offense early and I think having Tillman back while good had to mix up the flow a bit with the receivers and I dont think they got back in the groove with it until later in the game, actually I think Tillman my have came out late because Keyton was in there quite a bit, not sure on that tho.

UT is in THE BIGGEST GAME of the SEASON and get UGA head to head. I will not predict what this team will do from this point forward but, it seems like they don't want to lose and find new ways to win each week. UT is so volatile that UGA may actually be the 14 point underdog! Talk doesn't matter, it will be decided on the field where it should be. No where to hide for either team and a host of recruits will be watching. I love watching a game as the underdog especially with a team averaging 50 points per game! What a gift for the starved fans.

Call me a NegaVol if you want, but the honest reality is we did not play that great tonight.

Our offense was just a bit "off" most of the night. We were in cruise control mind you, but we were just not as precise as we have been.

Our D stepped it up big time, best overall game I have seen by our D in many years.

I give us a solid B. It really felt like the game was more of a blowout than it was as KY couldn't do crap. We left a lot of meat on the bone in a few of our drives with the ball though. McGrath suddenly looking a bit shaky does cause me a bit of worry also.
UK was statistically one of best defenses in the nation. Look at what they did to Miss State air raid. Smothered Florida. This game knocked them down several spot. The difference is that Uk wants to play antiquated offense, and that kept them pressing all night. Thus the interceptions. Heupel’s offense forces teams to be something they aren’t.

UGA is by far the best statistical defense we’ve faced, but their schedule is not that tough. Their bast win was the first game against Oregon. Everything else is, “meh.”

Personally, I prefer playing as the underdog rather than being the #1 team everyone wants to take down. It's a silly distraction to haggle over who is #1/2/3/4. Tenn just needs to keep playing good football and everything will work itself out.
I’m with you. Top 4 will decide who the champ is.

Just for the record, an "off" night for our offense to you is hendon hooker going 19/25 (76%) 245 yards 3TDs no INTs and a 9.8 yard average through the air. Also getting a rushing TD

Then add 177 yards rushing out rushing and out passing Kentucky. We played Kentuckys gameplan better than they did but that's an "off" night.

I'm not going to call you a negavol. I'm just going to suggest you are magnifying the negatives too much.
Possibly. But there’s also a sense, which I share, that as dominant as we are on O we haven’t played a complete game yet.

I think we’re poised to play that complete game in Athens this Sat. Everything seems to be coming together at the right time and we’re playing with house money. We’ve got everything to win and zero to lose except a game to the #1 ranked team as double digit underdogs (pardon the pun).

We certainly haven’t peaked yet and I’m not sure if or when we will. Win lose or draw Tennessee is still on the rise and will be a factor in the NC race come hell or high water.

Call me a NegaVol if you want, but the honest reality is we did not play that great tonight.

Our offense was just a bit "off" most of the night. We were in cruise control mind you, but we were just not as precise as we have been.

Our D stepped it up big time, best overall game I have seen by our D in many years.

I give us a solid B. It really felt like the game was more of a blowout than it was as KY couldn't do crap. We left a lot of meat on the bone in a few of our drives with the ball though. McGrath suddenly looking a bit shaky does cause me a bit of worry also.
What??? Kentucky got best D in the SEC! Don't believe me just ask anyone wearing a blue Walmart tank shirt.

Reactions: stolitonic
None of this will matter if we cannot best UGA, but for now soak it in friends.

Liam Blutman’s Top 10 + A Few – Week 10 - THE TRANSFER PORTAL CFB
I don’t think loosing to Georgia is gonna keep TN out of the playoffs as king as we win out after Georgia…it’s not gonna be the last game of the season after the game is played. I believe that the “sleeping giant “ of college football has awaken after one hell of a nap but now the giant is hungry looking for some DAWG meat to feast on …. Hopefully….

But imagine how much better our games played could have been if we weren’t leaving so many plays on the field. Can’t wait to see them play to their full potential and I hope it starts next week.

We didn't "leave so many plays on the field," and for the most part we haven't all season. That's why we are #1 in both total yards and scoring offense in the nation. We leave less plays on the field than any Tennessee team I've ever seen, and we leave less plays on the field than any team in college football this season. You're unlikely to see as complete a game as we had on both sides of the ball last night, for many years to come. It was the fewest points we've allowed in an SEC game in 14 years combined with a dominant offensive performance.

We were efficient and productive vs a very high level defense to the extent we coasted through the final 20 minutes of the game. We had three drives that ended in a punt/turnover on downs/turnover, all three were punts. No other team they've played this season had less than seven drives that ended in a punt/turnover on downs/turnover. I've never watched a football game from any team at any level where everything worked for the whole game on both sides of the ball. It just doesn't happen. Hooker had only 6 incompletions vs and completed 76 percent of his passes vs a top 15 defense in college football, on his way to 4 total touchdowns. That's absolutely great. I watch Peyton, Brady, Brees, Mahomes and Rodgers over the past 20 years and they are never perfect on every throw either. It irks me that that seems to be the standard some hold for Hooker.

What??? Kentucky got best D in the SEC! Don't believe me just ask anyone wearing a blue Walmart tank shirt.

Yeah I know.
Seriously, I have read all the hate messages I got from my post but I stand by what I said.
We were off by just a "smidge". Solid game I would "take" every time the Vols take the field. Still, just off by a touch from what we have shown we could do.
Yes, I know KY has a decent D, etc, etc. We made some mistakes which had nothing really to do with any pressure by the Cats.

Face it boys, our days of slapping each other on the back and being happy for days after a good win are over. We are back where we all said we wanted to be. We are expected to smack teams like the Mildcats around like we did last night. Celebrate a bit after the game, then back to work to fix the things we missed.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I dunno man. HH short armed a few there which should have been easy completions. Just stuff like that. I know I'm nitpicking at this point.

Just saying our D pretty much shut down Kentucky. We should have gotten more than a FG out of Levis' last two interceptions. Capitalize on those two mistakes and the backups are in for the entire 4th.

I know, I know-I hate me also. Still, off by just a "tick". Solid game overall.
I actually agree with you. I’m not overly concerned but CLEARLY we had a few plays that could have paid higher dividends last night. Doesn’t make me think less of the Vols. Actually I think we’ve left points on the field regularly this season. But we’re so dynamic it kinda gets lost with the causal observer.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
We didn't "leave so many plays on the field," and for the most part we haven't all season. That's why we are #1 in both total yards and scoring offense in the nation. We leave less plays on the field than any Tennessee team I've ever seen, and we leave less plays on the field than any team in college football this season. You're unlikely to see as complete a game as we had on both sides of the ball last night, for many years to come. It was the fewest points we've allowed in an SEC game in 14 years combined with a dominant offensive performance.

We were efficient and productive vs a very high level defense to the extent we coasted through the final 20 minutes of the game. We had three drives that ended in a punt/turnover on downs/turnover, all three were punts. No other team they've played this season had less than seven drives that ended in a punt/turnover on downs/turnover. I've never watched a football game from any team at any level where everything worked for the whole game on both sides of the ball. It just doesn't happen. Hooker had only 6 incompletions vs and completed 76 percent of his passes vs a top 15 defense in college football, on his way to 4 total touchdowns. That's absolutely great. I watch Peyton, Brady, Brees, Mahomes and Rodgers over the past 20 years and they are never perfect on every throw either. It irks me that that seems to be the standard some hold for Hooker.
EXACTLY!!!

Ummm… we’ll there have been quite a few plays this season that could have been touchdowns or kept drives going that could have led to scores. Not sure why you’re so butthurt over that comment I’m just trying to point out that we’ve been killing it and could have even put up more points than we have. Even the Hooker and the team keep saying they haven’t played to their full potential. Calm down.

Whether we win or lose next week, important to enjoy these moments. They don't always come along as often as we want.

(But we are gonna win :D)
Yes. Take some time to just sit and enjoy this! Our athletic programs are all on track. #11 Basketball team just blasted #2 Gonzaga. Lady Vols are a top 5 team in the country. Our football team is 8 and MF 0! It took me 30 min plus to fall asleep last night just laying there and savoring this moment! We've been through SO much as fans and this feeling I have now is SPECTACULAR!

I don't think this is overly negative. Defense looked great. Offense missed some opportunities. And outside of a couple nice runs by Wright, we had some trouble running the ball against an undermanned front.

Ummm… we’ll there have been quite a few plays this season that could have been touchdowns or kept drives going that could have led to scores. Not sure why you’re so butthurt over that comment I’m just trying to point out that we’ve been killing it and could have even put up more points than we have. Even the Hooker and the team keep saying they haven’t played to their full potential. Calm down.

I get tired of people who apparently think playing an absolutely perfect game is possible. We just played the best and most complete football game we've played in decades and people are complaining about missed plays. Every game has missed opportunities. There's no such thing as a perfect game.

Reactions: FBtime and DD4ME
I dunno man. HH short armed a few there which should have been easy completions. Just stuff like that. I know I'm nitpicking at this point.

Just saying our D pretty much shut down Kentucky. We should have gotten more than a FG out of Levis' last two interceptions. Capitalize on those two mistakes and the backups are in for the entire 4th.

I know, I know-I hate me also. Still, off by just a "tick". Solid game overall.

I understand what you mean. I said to my wife this morning, “Yes, we won by a lot, but honestly, I think our offense played better against Bama.” I wasn’t upset about it. It was more just a bewildered statement of, “Wow…we are so good, that even when we dominate, sometimes, we still don’t look our best.”

She agreed. She said our offense seemed slow at times, when compared to the Bama game, the pedal was always on the metal.

Having said that, I’m not worries about it. So our offense was Batman instead of Superman. Can’t complain about that, and I’m not trying to complain. I am so please with the way this season has gone, I can barely describe it. I’m just making an observation.

Of course, we all love the win. But several times we should have scored, we didn't. It looked impressive but the coaches know there is a lot to fix going into GA week. McGrath seemed to lose concentration a bit there. He needs to get his head back into what he is doing. A CA boy has to be brought back down to earth.

I understand what you mean. I said to my wife this morning, “Yes, we won by a lot, but honestly, I think our offense played better against Bama.” I wasn’t upset about it. It was more just a bewildered statement of, “Wow…we are so good, that even when we dominate, sometimes, we still don’t look our best.”

She agreed. She said our offense seemed slow at times, when compared to the Bama game, the pedal was always on the metal.

Having said that, I’m not worries about it. So our offense was Batman instead of Superman. Can’t complain about that, and I’m not trying to complain. I am so please with the way this season has gone, I can barely describe it. I’m just making an observation.

You are making observations coaches will be making this week. If everything was fine, they would cancel practice until Friday. No, they saw the problem areas and will work on fixing them.

Reading this thread is impossible without flashes of a certain SEC shorts video popping in my head. We win 44-6 and people are complaining we didn't play well enough. 8-0, but we have left too many points on the field. Why is it so hard to just enjoy this?
You can be critical/analytical and enjoy this. We have the luxury to sit back and dissect and think
What if. The huge blessing is that this year the what if is us winning it all…. And I’m not talking bout some 15-0 till we ain’t in august talk. The truth is we should have scored more last night. Doesn’t mean we arent enjoying whooping the cats after they thought will “first round” levis was going to out play hooker.

Our offense was different against Bama because we needed 52 to win. However the offense had a fumble against Alabama that they returned for a touchdown. It made no such huge mistakes in this game. It was just a thorough beat down where we actually ran the ball a lot.

The only reason we weren't as "explosive" last night is because we put a strong emphasis on our running game. We could have put north of 60 on them last night. First complete game Ive seen us play. I'm a converted negavol......
I think it was intentional work on the run game while showing that Tillman was back without showing how we plan to use him with what we have going right now. It’s great to be able to use games against top 20 defenses as practice.

Reactions: 67Vol
Tennessee hasn't looked this good since 1998
In 98 I recall we could’ve and perhaps should have lost the first game of the season and we had a couple more close calls as well, then we where miraculously handed a gift to play for the natty. All that to say every championship team has some breaks go their way and really good teams continue to improve as the season progresses…which I see this team doing GO VOLS!

Reactions: Jeff Clark
I’m not sure you will ever see a “perfect” game, however that was a dominant performance by both sides of Vols last night. We made a seasoned projected pro QB look horrible, our offense played balanced complimentary football. Really looking forward to Athens, I will be screaming my head off! It’s GREAT TO BE A TENNESSEE VOL!!

Can't wait for you take snaps this spring! Good luck to Warren in the playoffs 👍.

VN Store

Back