3rd n long and 4th downs

We chose to rush 3 at times and still got carved up... We made things way too comfortable for Richardson.. Secondary is pretty bad though, got exposed as such today.
We are terrible at zone defense, we should blitz every play and play man to man on the corners.

edit: I would rather make the QB uncomfortable and give up a big play than what we witnessed today

Our 3rd defense coming into this game was very good. Today was just something I couldn’t have envisioned but then again it’s FL

Huge Issue going forward. LSU will give us the same trouble next week. Their QB is a better runner than Richardson.

We are terrible at zone defense, we should blitz every play and play man to man on the corners.

edit: I would rather make the QB uncomfortable and give up a big play than what we witnessed today
I would have rather died on the sword there than bled out like they were doing. I mean i see the strategy, but after the guy had pulled all those 3rds and 4ths out of his rear try something else... It was a way too conservative game plan on UT's part. Made for good TV ratings though i guess. Was a great game if you liked all offense and the fact both defenses decided to take the day off.

I don't know....they punted once and went for it on 4th down at their own 28. That's sorta cheating if you ask me. Not playing straight up with us. Of course it worked, but it is not something most coaches would do.

Reactions: posivol
I think our D is too conservative considering it has our defense to lean on. It seems we play in a way where we are so concerned with getting beat over the top that we alow teams to steadily work the way down the field on us. Why not be aggressive? Play press man coverage and trust your D-Line to get to the QB. If we give up a big play here and there, so what? The long drives are killing us. Either force a 3-out and get the ball back on offense.

VN Store

Back