3 truths thru 6 games

Boy I am so happy Olivier is continuing to get minutes and it’s paying off. His time is coming and now it seems reasoned to think he can be a 8-9pt game a night guy.
but dang we got to get him to get some boards
This!
My Post priorities in order: 1. Defend 2. Rebound 3. Protect the basket. 4. Score from the post 5. Passing from the post

We’re starting to see a bit of 4, but we’ve got plenty of scoring options on the team. He’s not doing much with the others right now. Hopefully they come around too

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
That is the one complaint I'd still have. A kid his size should grab more boards almost by accident.

I haven't seen the past two games. Has Nkamhuoa been blocking out effectively on rebounds? Are opposing players beating him to the ball?

Someone who digs into the stats... How many offensive rebounds are opposing teams getting when Nkamhuoa is in the game, and how does that compare to our other inside guys? "Total opponent offensive rebounds, per minute played by individual Vol" has got to be a stat somewhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: BruinVol
They don't have to be as aggressive because we have so many more options. Last year, we had kids afraid to score. That isn't a problem, this year. Their minutes are also significantly reduced due to depth. That will be a good thing come tournament time. Fresher legs, more fouls to give, and different lineup combinations.

Agreed. I think that will be the next learning plateau for Pons and Fulky: developing situational offensive focus. They both know how to focus every posession on defense. Last season I think they had that same constant focus on offense because their offensive output was needed every other or third trip down the court.

So far this season, they've been watching and allowing the "new guys" and "newly uninjured" guys to fit their games into the system. Fulky's and Pons' points haven't been needed each trip down the court.

How soon can they learn how to maintain last year's offensive focus when it won't be called upon but every 5-7 trips down the court?

I think the Missouri game will reveal some things. Either Pons is going to have more semi-contested looks from outside, or Fulky is going to have room to shoot more 4-8 foot fall away jumpers. But getting the ball inside is going to be heavily restricted by Cuonzo's scheme.

That is the one complaint I'd still have. A kid his size should grab more boards almost by accident.

What’s interesting about that is when he’s in the game I don’t really notice it. It’s not like it’s easy to see his man beating him to the offensive boards and such. It’s just when you look at the stat sheet the lack of rebounds is glaring. It’s odd to say the least

I really think they've not had a hot game yet offensively. Hope it's against Mizzu. But I bet Conzo will have them pumped. If they win there they are for real. Go Vols!!!!

What’s interesting about that is when he’s in the game I don’t really notice it. It’s not like it’s easy to see his man beating him to the offensive boards and such. It’s just when you look at the stat sheet the lack of rebounds is glaring. It’s odd to say the least

I still think he needs another 15 lbs. or so. He has improved at rotating to the basket when his teammates penetrate, as he’s been the recipient of some nice feeds under the basket.

As a coach, what I love about Springer's drives is that he almost always attacks his shot off two feet. That is a sign he has been well coached and we receptive to the coaching. Most players want to score off one foot when they attack the basket. Springer is terrific and gathering off two feet and that is one reason why he scores thru contact so well. He uses his body really well to create space and angles when he goes up off two feet as well.

He is strong and patient with the ball, even if traffic. His B ball IQ is also extremely high. Might not have the overall athletic ability of Johnson, but he is plenty athletic enough.

Reactions: The Dog
1. Victor Bailey is a ballplayer, so you better get used to it.

2. Keon Johnson is still very much a work in progress, offensively. He is an elite defender, but he has a ways to go with his outside shot, his decision-making, and valuing the basketball. That's not a knock on him, but he clearly isn't a finished product, yet.

3. Olivier Nkamhoua is getting better with every game. He is earning more playing time with every outing.

Obviously, Bailey was not in a good situation at Oregon because I doubt he ever showed anything like he is showing here - coaching? That is what created my doubts with him since I had never seen him play. He is an above average defender and shooter. Might not be a passer/assist guy, but I wouldn't call that weakness.

As long as Keon keeps his head up and doesn't lose any confidence, he will overcome many of his deficiencies by mid season. He is not a PG, IMO.

ON has only lacked confidence and experience. I still think he could be our best rebounder.

Reactions: StrangeVol
I want to see how our offense looks against the big boys. It's easy to hit the century mark against Tech and St. Joe's. But when an SEC team plays zone against us, what are we going to do? Because you know that's what they're going to do. Our defense will be fine, but what's exciting to think about is how this offense is going to develop over the season. Once KJ figures it out, we're going to be even more stout. And I'm excited to see what Walker can do as well.

Nice post Chris. This team has quality depth, The most I have seen in a long time. The acquisition of Bailey was huge by CRB. His scoring mentality is going to pay huge dividends as the season progresses. A concern I had early on was who would step up And contribute off the bench in the post. If Olivier can provide solid minutes then we are in better shape than I thought before the season began.

Bailey is better than I thought. I still want Springer/Johnson getting at least 25mpg and I’d be shocked if Bailey is putting up 18 points again SEC teams but he’s been a nice addition.

Johnson definitely seems tentative on offense which I get. He doesn’t have the natural offensive game that Springer. But best on ball defender we’ve had since Richardson for sure.

ORN has tools to be a good player and building confidence against some weaker teams is really important. We need him to be solid.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
I agree with all of these points.

Keon is not (and in my opinion never will be) a point guard. But I like the idea of playing him there in these early games to get him more experience handling the ball and running the offense. He will get better.

I commented to my daughter last night that ON has gone from terrible to mediocre. I honestly didn't think that was possible. It has only been a few games, but I hope the ON we saw the last few games is the new floor and he continues to get better.

Nkamhoua just may make a believer out of me.

With all the hype around Johnson in the offseason, Springer was somewhat pushed to the side. He is a baller. He could possibly be our best offensive player.

Bailey looks good. If he maintains this trajectory through SEC play, wow, what an asset.

I literally can't think of anything else meaningful besides these first few games have been an absolute pleasure to watch. It seems like the offense is starting to gel. I'm just going to sit back and take it all in. The upcoming Missouri game should reveal even more truths.
Springer just looks so smooth on offense. Need to get it to him more

Reactions: cardvolfan
I haven't seen the past two games. Has Nkamhuoa been blocking out effectively on rebounds? Are opposing players beating him to the ball?

Someone who digs into the stats... How many offensive rebounds are opposing teams getting when Nkamhuoa is in the game, and how does that compare to our other inside guys? "Total opponent offensive rebounds, per minute played by individual Vol" has got to be a stat somewhere.
He doesn't seem to yet understand that rebounds are just going to come to you because you're 6-8. That was probably the case in high school, but you have to work for them in college where everyone is your size.

Obviously, Bailey was not in a good situation at Oregon because I doubt he ever showed anything like he is showing here - coaching? That is what created my doubts with him since I had never seen him play. He is an above average defender and shooter. Might not be a passer/assist guy, but I wouldn't call that weakness.

As long as Keon keeps his head up and doesn't lose any confidence, he will overcome many of his deficiencies by mid season. He is not a PG, IMO.

ON has only lacked confidence and experience. I still think he could be our best rebounder.
He has a long way to go to get there. It is currently his biggest weakness and likely what's kept him from him playing much. He has shown some real improvement in other areas, though, so I'm finished (for the time being) doubting him.

Everyone needs to remember it’s been almost 2 years since Keon has played as he was injured most of last year. At this point, Bailey is the most impressive player but I think in league play Fulky and Pons will come around. We just don’t have to depend on them as much as last season because of Bailey, Keon and Jaden.

Reactions: Vol49er and VOLED
He has a long way to go to get there. It is currently his biggest weakness and likely what's kept him from him playing much. He has shown some real improvement in other areas, though, so I'm finished (for the time being) doubting him.

He has the instincts and physical abilities. He just needs to believe, and develop an attitude and grit to get it done. The last two might be the hardest to develop for a player. If anyone can make him do it, Barnes can.

Truth 1. HUGE difference in talent from last year to now.

1st year - Nkamhoua, Plavsic, Gaines, Pember

1st year - Anosike, Bailey, Springer, Johnson

And improved Vescovi & Nkamhoua (now)

Truth 2. WAY better rebounding
41 per vs 34 1/2 per

O rebounds per: 13 vs 10 per

Truth 3. Fulkerson & Pons were really good last year

Given the “overall” talent, Tennessee had last season (easy to now see players “had” to play that probably had no business playing as much as they did) Fulkerson kept Tennessee in games and helped Tennessee win games with sometimes very sub par talent on the floor (as did Pons especially on D). This also shows how well Barnes coaching and system works......in my opinion.

Reactions: VOLINVONORE
I like ON better than Anosike... he is more athletic and can play above the rim on both ends... I like anosike and his effort and leadership but I think he will struggle in power 5 play vs taller more athletic bigs...

Bailey is better than I thought. I still want Springer/Johnson getting at least 25mpg and I’d be shocked if Bailey is putting up 18 points again SEC teams but he’s been a nice addition.

Johnson definitely seems tentative on offense which I get. He doesn’t have the natural offensive game that Springer. But best on ball defender we’ve had since Richardson for sure.

ORN has tools to be a good player and building confidence against some weaker teams is really important. We need him to be solid.
Keon and James can completely shut down the perimeter defensively, I'm not sure we've ever had 2 side by side that good on that end of the floor. I think Barnes is using Keon the same way he did JJJ and I believe we'll see them on the floor together a bunch more going forward. The others are ok at point but Vescovi or James one will likely be on the court at all times as they are the only 2 guards that can really get the offense set up, I like Springer in that role too as the season progresses. I agree with you on Bailey and I've always liked Big O.

I like ON better than Anosike... he is more athletic and can play above the rim on both ends... I like anosike and his effort and leadership but I think he will struggle in power 5 play vs taller more athletic bigs...
Barnes now has a luxury of being able to use different combos because of Big Os play. Those 6 games were all just scrimmages, we'll find out soon if either of them can handle the physical play they're about to see from here on out.

Boy I am so happy Olivier is continuing to get minutes and it’s paying off. His time is coming and now it seems reasoned to think he can be a 8-9pt game a night guy.
but dang we got to get him to get some boards
I told everyone earlier on here that i liked Big O and i got laughed at off the board. My thought is that if you are athletic and have that kind of basketball frame you have a chance to be good. He's still probably going to look really bad some nights as the competition gets tougher but he's definitely developing, gonna be a fan favorite before it's over if he sticks it out 4 years.

Keon and James can completely shut down the perimeter defensively, I'm not sure we've ever had 2 side by side that good on that end of the floor. I think Barnes is using Keon the same way he did JJJ and I believe we'll see them on the floor together a bunch more going forward. The others are ok at point but Vescovi or James one will likely be on the court at all times as they are the only 2 guards that can really get the offense set up, I like Springer in that role too as the season progresses. I agree with you on Bailey and I've always liked Big O.

As good as Springer has looked on offense, especially attacking the basket, I have not seen this shutdown defender that you see. Maybe a case of you seeing what you want to see? Don't know but I have seen him get beat off the dribble quite a bit and not really seen him apply pressure to the ballhandler like Keon does. Not saying he has been terrible or anything but certainly not lockdown on-ball defender.

I like anosike and his effort and leadership but I think he will struggle in power 5 play vs taller more athletic bigs...
I agree with you. I love Anosike’s effort, but some of these mid-majors were blocking his shot like he was a little kid. There were a couple blocks were the guys didn’t even leave their feet to block his shot.
1608958358307.gif

VN Store

Back