3 truths thru 6 games

cncchris33

1. Victor Bailey is a ballplayer, so you better get used to it.

2. Keon Johnson is still very much a work in progress, offensively. He is an elite defender, but he has a ways to go with his outside shot, his decision-making, and valuing the basketball. That's not a knock on him, but he clearly isn't a finished product, yet.

3. Olivier Nkamhoua is getting better with every game. He is earning more playing time with every outing.

I agree about Keon offensively. Still a little loose with his passing and ball handling coming into the lane or a crowd. He is learning quickly you can’t out athlete everyone in college. Super excited to see what Barnes can do with his natural talent.

2. Keon Johnson is still very much a work in progress, offensively. He is an elite defender, but he has a ways to go with his outside shot, his decision-making, and valuing the basketball. That's not a knock on him, but he clearly isn't a finished product, yet.

3. Olivier Nkamhoua is getting better with every game. He is earning more playing time with every outing.

This is good about Nkamhoua, we're going to need help in the post once we get to SEC play...

Some on here think Bailey is nothing more than just a role player.

And I'm a big fan of ON. I really hope he reaches his potential

Keon absolutely must tighten up his dribble to get where he needs to be offensively. His shot consistency will be easier to overlook but his ballhandling is just too loose, gets it away from his body, too soft with it and lacks some awareness of the defender. With that said, his ceiling is still absolutely elite.

I kinda think we should have jjj run backup point and just move Keon to the wing. No doubt Keon will be great there in the future (if he stays), but with the way we run offense and the makeup of the team I think we just need to find a way to get into our set offense and it will take care of itself.

Nkamhoua just may make a believer out of me.

With all the hype around Johnson in the offseason, Springer was somewhat pushed to the side. He is a baller. He could possibly be our best offensive player.

Bailey looks good. If he maintains this trajectory through SEC play, wow, what an asset.

I literally can't think of anything else meaningful besides these first few games have been an absolute pleasure to watch. It seems like the offense is starting to gel. I'm just going to sit back and take it all in. The upcoming Missouri game should reveal even more truths.

Keon has the best potential of anyone on the team. He reminds me of a freshman that goes to Kentucky, learns how to play high caliber ball and by the end of the year their a lottery pick.

Springer is much more well rounded but not the athlete Johnson is.

The real question is did Fulky and Pons reach their peak last year? Maybe it’s just me, but it feels like they aren’t as aggressive

Johnsons TO’s earned him the bench for most the night tonight, I think he had 5. Springer may be the best penetrater we have, he’s tough to handle 1 on 1.
If Springer and Johnson keep improving as they should, it’s going to be really hard to keep them off the court. Which is great because that’s really going to push Santi, James and Bailey all to keep getting better. It makes it very hard on other teams the fact that if one of our guards is having an off night, there’s 2 more waiting to come in and play that spot. We may have the best guard depth in the country

Reactions: Goalpost82
1. Victor Bailey is a ballplayer, so you better get used to it.]
three points -- all look true
wanta see us get a little better from 3

cbs sports network just gave vols some love in pre-game show for Boise State-Lobo game
one analyst said wisconsin only team that looks better on d

The real question is did Fulky and Pons reach their peak last year? Maybe it’s just me, but it feels like they aren’t as aggressive
Good question but I think a lot of it is less minutes as the depth at this time has trimmed a good 7 to 8 minutes off their playing time as Barnes is busy working all kinds of lineups and setting roles for everyone. Pons hasn’t been at his best but I suspect he’ll get back to his old self quickly. Missing the early part of the season through everyone off some and playing 4 games in 8 or so days has played into it also. I think as we get some rest before the Missouri game they’ll get their legs back and be on top of their game. Stats will be lower with a 8-10 man rotation and everyone being able to contribute instead of 6-7 they had last year while logging 32-35 minutes.

Reactions: StrangeVol
ON had a good game today, but many have still been knocking him in the game threads previously this year, so I don't want to over react to one really good game. With that said, I think he looks physically more filled out and is working hard to carve a role out. I think he is still a year away and will be relied on alot once Fulky and Pons leave. So we need to keep giving him minutes and trying to get him to grow into being a consistent contributor.

I also think Victor Bailey will be our most consistent, reliable player this year. He has the smoothest shot on the team (closely followed by Vescovi) and seems to be a nice veteran presence to have on the court as much as possible. A type of guy that can pick up the team abd has alot of respect from his teammates.

Jaden Springer looks to be the most natural player we have that can drive and finish around the basket. Overall, he seems to have a knack for finding ways to score and is building confidence with every game.

Keon is an elite defender on the perimeter. He is averaging close to 2 steals a game. Works very hard and locked in to the UT culture. I want to see him continue to drive in to the basket more. He could really use another year under Barnes to perfect his shot. Thats not a knock on him as much as I'd personally like to see him after a year in the system.

Last edited:
Reactions: lastlap and The Dog
Springer may be the best penetrater we have, he’s tough to handle 1 on 1.
Yes, Springer is the best penetrater UT has, since Ramar Smith, imo. Springer is the most NBA ready player on the team, once again, imo. I have conceded that Jaden will be one and done, but I'm starting to believe, UT and their fans may get 2 years of Keon and that's a good thing.

In the post game talk with Bob, The Deacon had some sort of positive comments about Uros. If Uros steps up we gonna be really good. I have no doubt Keon will keep getting better. Hopefully Nkamhoua keeps improving. If all 3 do I think there will be at least one of the 3 championships won.

I think the difference this year is they have more options. Last just about everything had to go thru them, at least until Vescovi played against LSU. This year you’ve got Bailey, JJJ , and Anosike along with the 2 freshmen.

Reactions: twoffo
As a coach, what I love about Springer's drives is that he almost always attacks his shot off two feet. That is a sign he has been well coached and we receptive to the coaching. Most players want to score off one foot when they attack the basket. Springer is terrific and gathering off two feet and that is one reason why he scores thru contact so well. He uses his body really well to create space and angles when he goes up off two feet as well.

As a coach, what I love about Springer's drives is that he almost always attacks his shot off two feet. That is a sign he has been well coached and we receptive to the coaching. Most players want to score off one foot when they attack the basket. Springer is terrific and gathering off two feet and that is one reason why he scores thru contact so well. He uses his body really well to create space and angles when he goes up off two feet as well.
Absolutely. I have noticed this since game one. He also doesn't try to over pursue the basket by attacking the rim when it isn't there. He is very content to stop and attack from both feet from 3-5 feet as the defense flies by him expecting a run at the rim like most kids would do (Keon).

KJ is more athletic than Springer, but he could learn a lot about body control and taking what's there from Springer. Sometimes he puts it together from a control standpoint and it's beautiful, like the drive from the wing last night.

Boy I am so happy Olivier is continuing to get minutes and it’s paying off. His time is coming and now it seems reasoned to think he can be a 8-9pt game a night guy.
but dang we got to get him to get some boards
That is the one complaint I'd still have. A kid his size should grab more boards almost by accident.

They don't have to be as aggressive because we have so many more options. Last year, we had kids afraid to score. That isn't a problem, this year. Their minutes are also significantly reduced due to depth. That will be a good thing come tournament time. Fresher legs, more fouls to give, and different lineup combinations.

VN Store

Back