3 5 stars - so sad

I comprehend it just fine. But the season played out last year just like any other and Barnes team wasn't remotely going to be selected for the tournament. It's not like the season was cancelled in January. The season was complete sans our yearly flame out in the SECT and maybe an NIT bid. People using this excuse are extremely lame and are being dishonest. It will be like Duke claiming it's NCAA streak is still intact because they shut down for Covid this year. They weren't making it and neither was Tennessee last year. Also none of that changes the fact that Devoe has better post season success here than Barnes. Not Devoe getting a double bye in the SEC T, none of that. Getting a double bye is a great thing because it mean Tennessee was rolling in the regular season too. The success difference is even more glaring if you compare the first 6 seasons of each coach. Devoe made the tournament his first 5 years here and the field was 40-48 while he was doing it. So the poster who said it was laughable to compare Barnes to Devoe at Tennessee was right, Devoe was actually much better at this point in his Tennessee career than Barnes has been.

Devoe followed a TN that Mears had built into one of the best in the country. Barnes was the 3rd coach in 3 years.

SECT flame out? TN was in consecutive SECT finals in a 14 team league.

Reactions: papatomany
Did the freshman shoot like Bailey, viscovi and Pons today? Nice argument
Yes they did % wise. They just took more shots and they definitely weren't lights out like you make it sound. Besides Pons who only took 2 shots and was disappointing. Johnson was only 37%, Springer was 41%, Viscovi which was best at 44%, Bailey who did not play last year that also has only one really good game this year shot 28%. You would have a point if they shot 20% or 30% better but in reality Viscovi shot better than they did. So nice argument there stud! 🙄

Reactions: Tnphil
I'm not in the fire Barnes crowd. He has built some equity but I'm in no mood to defend the guy. He failed miserably with this group and today's game was embarrassing. This was an embarrassing coaching performance today and for the season as a whole.

Reactions: Tnphil
Yes they did % wise. They just took more shots and they definitely weren't lights out like you make it sound. Besides Pons who only took 2 shots and was disappointing. Johnson was only 37%, Springer was 41%, Viscovi which was best at 44%, Bailey who did not play last year that also has only one really good game this year shot 28%. You would have a point if they shot 20% or 30% better but in reality Viscovi shot better than they did. So nice argument there stud! 🙄
Lol the freshman took more shots because they are our best chance to win when the other guys can’t hit anything, springer and Johnson were our top scorers yet they catch all of the slack because pons and the other guys didn’t play their part so yeah your argument is invalid like the rest of the bad opinions

Lol the freshman took more shots because they are our best chance to win when the other guys can’t hit anything, springer and Johnson were our top scorers yet they catch all of the slack because pons and the other guys didn’t play their part so yeah your argument is invalid like the rest of the bad opinions
Here again Johnson 14 points and Springer 12 points is not lights out like you make it sound. Viscovi 11 points and Bailey 9 points are right there with them and I already said Pons was disappointing but he is a shot blocker and not a shooter. My point was when we didn't have a bunch of Freshman 5 stars and played with mainly Jr's and Sr's we played better ball. Just look at 2019, we made it to the sweet sixteen and since your so much more intelligent than me, how many 5 stars did we have that year? We had three this year and were one and done. Do your research there Jr!

When a team comes out lackluster, when they can't adjust during the game( other teams jump on them while they sleep), when a team has turn overs and plays sloppy I put that on coaching and poor practice. You bring what you practice to game time. Inconsistent play reflects on the coach.

I do believe Keon will be a success in the NBA but as I watched Springer shoot airball after airball in the most important game of his life, it gives me cause for pause.

Tennessee administration has tried several times to kill men’s basketball with godawful coaching hires & decisions (Houston, Green, Peterson, Tyndall, even Martin to a degree & undermining Pearl) but the program survives. Fan interest is like water to the desert, it brings life back to what was dead. The results don’t match the support the program receives. Annually top 10 in attendance, etc.

You can’t just assume we wouldn’t have made it last year. We could’ve gone on a run in Nashville. They beat UK at Rupp just a week before.

Ah yes, the man who hasn’t won a conference tournament since Bill Clinton’s first term definitely was winning the SECT with a 17-14 team that just got beat down by Auburn at home.

How do i get you to realize the very simple fact that just because historically you do one thing doesnt mean you cant change your fate? We pay Barnes elite money to get at the very best just barely over decent results...Are you seriously going to tell me that UT is some sort of special case where we are the only university that has to pay elite money for mediocre results? Man get the freak out of here with your ridiculous loser attitude. Im all vol until I die and I wont apoligize for just once wanting better than mediocre at best.
I'm like you. I'm so sick of these we are nothing without Barnes posts. This has to be the most negative of all negative attitudes.

Reactions: DixieVol
We’ll see how long they stick.
Pretty sure first round money is guaranteed? If so, they won't have to stick long. Bank that huge contract then head to Europe. If they're wise, they be set for life by the time they turn 30.

I'm like you. I'm so sick of these we are nothing without Barnes posts. This has to be the most negative of all negative attitudes.

We’re also tired of “we can do better” or “5 million a year” posts.

The drive by posters want to make the rest of the us feel miserable and guilty for trying to be level headed about the situation.

This forum used to be a pretty good place to have great discussions but now it’s the same constant BS that goes on in the football forum.

Pretty sure first round money is guaranteed? If so, they won't have to stick long. Bank that huge contract then head to Europe. If they're wise, they be set for life by the time they turn 30.

First round contracts are guaranteed for two years, and it looks like the lowest amount (for last pick of first round) is around $2 million per year...mid first round is around 3. I agree with you that it would be hard to turn that down.

As an aside, it will be interesting to see what the Celts do with GWill after this season. I’m not so sure that he will stick in the league, either.

The drive by posters want to make the rest of the us feel miserable and guilty for trying to be level headed about the situation.

This forum used to be a pretty good place to have great discussions but now it’s the same constant BS that goes on in the football forum.

Actually there are plenty of regular and reasonable posters who are disappointed and upset with Barnes too. Sure “drive by” posters are up but that’s gonna happen when you go 4th in the SEC when projected first and then flame out to a 12 seed that only got in because they won’t their conference tourney.

It's not level headed to think like this. Barnes has been a good hire but Tennessee basketball is more just Barnes. It's possible to support your coach but love the program more. It's perfectly legit to want better results than the last two years so I can understand where these people are coming from. They just live in the moment a bit too much.

Green wasn't as "nice guy" as Barnes. Threw a fit when people were critical of him. That made firing him easier after getting blown out in the NCAAT.

I’d say if you call out your fan base very openly and you underachieve, it’s a problem for you. Then never got a head coaching job again.

It's not level headed to think like this. Barnes has been a good hire but Tennessee basketball is more just Barnes. It's possible to support your coach but love the program more. It's perfectly legit to want better results than the last two years so I can understand where these people are coming from. They just live in the moment a bit too much.

This is rational. And look whether fair or not, his salary increased to elite level pay and he’s not getting elite results. He’s had two straight disappointing seasons. It’s totally understandable why the fan base is frustrated.

You can’t just assume we wouldn’t have made it last year. We could’ve gone on a run in Nashville. They beat UK at Rupp just a week before.

If you believe that I have a bridge to sell you. And after that UK game got their ass kicked at home by Auburn.

Suck so much that he has won 700+ games in a career and was coach of the year just couple years ago or so. Much rather have the coach from Duke and Kentucky, oh wait they didn’t even make the tourney.
You're wasting your time with these reactionary, know-nothings

VN Store

Back