28.7%...

zaqhhh

is what Lamonte is shooting on the year.

23.9% from 3

Now I know he won us the VCU game at the buzzer.

But here is another startling stat

First 5 games AST/TO ratio: 46/15
Last 4 games AST/TO ratio: 18/18

I know he has had the injury nagging him, so for his health and the sake of the team. Should we sit him now? Or just wait for Vescovi?

Reactions: vol94

23.9% from 3

Now I know he won us the FSU game at the buzzer.

I know he has had the injury nagging him, so for his health and the sake of the team. Should we sit him now? Or just wait for Vescovi?

Sure about that?

Reactions: zaqhhh

23.9% from 3

I’ve commented a few times today regarding Turner. I think it’s mental w him. If he is injured then it’s better to give him rest before we get into SEC play. He struggling offensively this season but a lot of games remain.

I'm going to reply to this thread like I did a couple others. You guys should go back to posts prior to this season and see what many thought the team would look like this year. Now that we far outperformed those summations people think some of the players are trash or played like trash ect. WE'VE OUTPERFOMED SO FAR.....BE THANKFUL...Be thankful for JJJ improvement and you can see improvement of both him and Gaines from just the last game....as confidence comes that they can play in this league so will the scoring....

Reactions: lvocd
I'm going to reply to this thread like I did a couple others. You guys should go back to posts prior to this season and see what many thought the team would look like this year. Now that we far outperformed those summations people think some of the players are trash or played like trash ect. WE'VE OUTPERFOMED SO FAR.....BE THANKFUL...Be thankful for JJJ improvement and you can see improvement of both him and Gaines from just the last game....as confidence comes that they can play in this league so will the scoring....

This thread is about Turner.

I for one am very proud of our team and what we have accomplished this year.

However, there are legitimate concerns around Turner that warrant discussion.

Turner isnt shooting well but other guys need to step up. What happened to Pons jumper we saw earlier in the season? Bowden looks afraid to shoot or dribble. This team severely lacks 3 point shooting.

Reactions: chuckb1448

What are we going to do? Bench him? There isnt another PG on the roster. Deal with it

Reactions: Tstormtrooper
Did you read the OG post? I literally asked this question with regards to waiting for Vescovi. Calm down and learn to read before opening your mouth.
I am calm. I did read. There is no guarantee Vescovi even plays this year. How are we going to sit him with no other PG?

Reactions: Tstormtrooper

23.9% from 3

I just don't think we can sit him. Some other players need to step up their scoring so he doesn't feel the need to shoot the ball as much.

I am calm. I did read. There is no guarantee Vescovi even plays this year. How are we going to sit him with no other PG?

If he is injured and not playing well then it may be better to let him recover and switch James to the point. Again, I don't know the right answer. But I don't think our only option is to do nothing (although it is an option)

If he is injured and not playing well then it may be better to let him recover and switch James to the point. Again, I don't know the right answer. But I don't think our only option is to do nothing (although it is an option)
If he is injured to the point where his future is jeopardize I seriously doubt he would be playing. James isnt a good enough ball handler to play PG full time

Turner isnt shooting well but other guys need to step up. What happened to Pons jumper we saw earlier in the season? Bowden looks afraid to shoot or dribble. This team severely lacks 3 point shooting.
Unfortunately, Jordan Bowden tends to disappear in big games. He has done it a great deal his entire career.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
A game where you shoot this low from 3 point range you just erase and hope it was an anomaly. No discussion necessary, nothing to talk about.

Seeing you have legitimate concerns then I would like to know your suggestion of what you would do with Turner when you are hoping you can at least develop 7/8 players that can not only give your starters some rest but also some scoring power. So what's your supposed cure for the situation. How would you solve the problem you see the Vols have?

Seeing you have legitimate concerns then I would like to know your suggestion of what you would do with Turner when you are hoping you can at least develop 7/8 players that can not only give your starters some rest but also some scoring power. So what's your supposed cure for the situation. How would you solve the problem you see the Vols have?

As I have said, I don't have a solution. I really want to see where others are others are at on this.

My belief although perhaps uninformed compared to others is:

1. Turner should play until Vescovi is ready if he is healthy. However, he should shoot less.
2. If unhealthy, move James to the point and wait for Vescovi. Let Turner recover even if it means dropping a few games. I'd rather him be 100% down the stretch.
3. If Vescovi can't make it in this season. Make a determination around Turner's health and be prepared to move James over if necessary.

As I have said, I don't have a solution. I really want to see where others are others are at on this.

1. Turner should play until Vescovi is ready if he is healthy. However, he should shoot less.
2. If unhealthy, move James to the point and wait for Vescovi. Let Turner recover even if it means dropping a few games. I'd rather him be 100% down the stretch.
The problem is we don't really know what Turner's issue is and whether a few games off would help. I have to believe Barnes would sit him if he thought it would solve his shooting issues. idk.

The problem is we don't really know what Turner's issue is and whether a few games off would help. I have to believe Barnes would sit him if he thought it would solve his shooting issues. idk.

True. Maybe this is the better question.

I trust Barnes but I have to wonder if the calculus is its better to play him injured than not at all. Which may be true. But then why is he still being allowed to take so many shots.

All speculation on my part. But I would like to hear a statement from CRB to clarify the position.

True. Maybe this is the better question.

I trust Barnes but I have to wonder if the calculus is its better to play him injured than not at all. Which may be true. But then why is he still being allowed to take so many shots.

All speculation on my part. But I would like to hear a statement from CRB to clarify the position.
My opinion is that no one else is stepping up and Turner is forced to take more shots than anyone would like. Just a theory. In an ideal world, Turner has a bunch of assists and other guys are knocking down shots.

This is how I kinda see things. I believe with these freshman you just have to be patient and let the game come to them. Thats going to take a little while. As things kind of slow down for them and they begin performing better the confidence will come. As far as Turner is concerned, I think the kid is under so much pressure because the ball keeps coming back to him as time ticks down and he is under enormous pressure to put it up whether he is feeling it or not. Kind of like a hot potato. Fulkerson did pretty well today but others will have to find their shot with confidence. It's hard to play under pressure like that especially if you are dog tired.

Reactions: Jack Burton
I’ve been pleased with getting wins over Washington and VCU but I wouldn’t say we’ve far exceeded expectations. I said we would go 18-11 and I was on the lower end of expectations. That includes 11-7 in SEC play which means 7-4 OOC and we still have games against Cinci, Wisconsin, and Kansas so I’d say we are right where expected.

23.9% from 3

Turner seems to always be injured. Shoulder bothered him last year, too. If an entire off season didn't resolve the problem, I don't see rest being of much help. Maybe vescovi and James can handle the point and that will help him manage it more successfully.

I’ve been pleased with getting wins over Washington and VCU but I wouldn’t say we’ve far exceeded expectations. I said we would go 18-11 and I was on the lower end of expectations. That includes 11-7 in SEC play which means 7-4 OOC and we still have games against Cinci, Wisconsin, and Kansas so I’d say we are right where expected.
Not many expected us to be 7-2 with our schedule so far. With what we lost it is amazing. Add to the fact we aren't getting our best play out of Turner or Bowden so far.

Reactions: RollerVol

VN Store

Back