247: Vols' projected depth chart next season

So Mays is expected to be allowed to play?
No one knows. The lawyer representing him is the same guy who was involved w/ Nutt suing Ole Miss (which led to Freeze getting caught & fired). He represented Justin Fields & Shea Patterson, plus the other guys who transferred after the Freeze scandal. He seems confident about the NCAA approving the waiver, which is a good sign. I think Pittman leaving probably helps here though I haven't read over the waiver guidelines.

I think JG wins the starting spot, it had better mean much improvement in Chaneys system for a second year. If the Vols can get some quick slant rhythm throws, force JG to get rid of the ball quick he has a good deep ball. Will be interesting to see how JG responds with HB and maybe Mauer giving him competition. Not sure how it plays out but hope the competition makes the QB room much better. JG or HB i think the Vols have improved QB play next season.

Between running game, great WRs and a potentially elite OL, JG should be making a lot more high percentage TE throws next year and we should be able to mix it up quite well on offense and not be so predictable!

Reactions: Tnwoodsman
There is no reason to bash JG all offseason. He outplayed the other qb’s last season whether you want to admit it or not. He will start again unless one of the other guys step up.
No need to post BS delusions about JG all offseason. He was so bad that they put a true Fr in before he was ready whether you want to admit it or not.... and barring an injury that Fr probably would have started the rest of the season. If he starts again... he will hold the team back again.

Fixed it for you. Seriously, if we trot Jg out there I’ll begin to lose trust in pruitt. Bailey played at the highest level of high school football there is and was amazing. The only other former QBs in ga football history that have similar number are desean Watson, Trevor Lawrence, Justin fields, and jake Fromm. All of them proved immediately they were legit. Plus, we’ll have the best line (and likely running game) we’ve had in years. So what greater opportunity to easy a freshman in than this year. You only get a super star talent in college for 3 years so why not start him right away. We’ve already seen what jg ceiling is and it’s low. Really low.
Neither you nor Pruitt knows til he gets here and learns the offense. Maybe he’ll beat out JG, maybe he won’t. If he doesn’t - he’ll sit on the bench.

1) I'd like to see Chandler finish strong.
Helton did a heck of job with him his sophomore year.

2) Bennett looked good at the end of the year. Roman Harrison came on the last two games.

3) Who will emerge opposite of Palmer?
My money is on Keyton right now.
I would love for Gibbs to turn into our own Ja'maar Chase.

4) Gaurantano...please put it all together this year. PLEASE

There is no reason to bash JG all offseason. He outplayed the other qb’s last season whether you want to admit it or not. He will start again unless one of the other guys step up.
I agree he outplayed, that doesn't mean he was good though. That's just the honest truth, no bashing. My hope is he develops into something we didn't see last season or we have someone on the roster who out performs. It would be a shame for this OL not to have a QB that compliments them.

Last edited:
I think JG wins the starting spot, it had better mean much improvement in Chaneys system for a second year. If the Vols can get some quick slant rhythm throws, force JG to get rid of the ball quick he has a good deep ball. Will be interesting to see how JG responds with HB and maybe Mauer giving him competition. Not sure how it plays out but hope the competition makes the QB room much better. JG or HB i think the Vols have improved QB play next season.

I'm pretty critical of Dan Mullen at UF, but there is ONE thing I will give him absolute credit for. He has held on to their back up QBs. Trask didn't transfer. Jones hasn't transferred. I would only start JG next year if I looked at my team and truthfully felt they can win the SECe. We've already opined a bunch about our results next year. If you are in the camp that says we win eight or nine games next year, then why start JG over Mauer or Bailey? JG should only start and continue to start if the logic is that experience gets us a title. Otherwise, I want to see the other guys get reps. The SEC is wide open next year. It will not remain that way.

Reactions: jlawso21 and cgrish

You said it, bub. But you know how it is with haters. Still...for whatever reason, I got a sneaky feeling that the Hill is going to rise. Just a nagging sneaky feeling. A one-shot wonder kind of thing.

Pretty good overviews with projected starters listed below.

OFFENSE: Projecting Tennessee's way-too-early depth chart: Offense
  • QB: Jarrett Guarantano
  • RB: Eric Gray
  • WR: Josh Palmer, Ramel Keyton, Brandon Johnson
  • TE: Austin Pope
  • OL: LT Wanya Morris, LG Trey Smith, C Brandon Kennedy, RG Cade Mays, RT Darnell Wright
DEFENSE: Projecting Tennessee's way-too-early depth chart: Defense
  • DL: Aubrey Solomon, Emmit Gooden, Darel Middleton
  • OLB: Kivon Bennett, Deandre Johnson
  • ILB: Henry To'o To'o, Quavaris Crouch
  • CB: Bryce Thompson, Alontae Taylor, Shawn Shamburger (star/nickelback)
  • S: Jaylen McCollough, Trevon Flowers

Realistically we will have a strong line for the next two seasons on offense while breaking in 3 new starters (Keyton, Johnson/Gibbs, and Pope)

Find it hard to believe that the risks of letting Bailey play behind 3/5's of the same line for 2 years trumps wasting a year on JG who only has one year of eligibility left.....

In theory, Bailey would return in 2021 with the same core of offense... And at the end of the day, he can average around 200 yards per game and 2 touchdowns per game or come close to that, he's already ahead of JG as a 3rd year starter.

Good QB play is prolly the difference in going 9-3/10-2 next year and 7-5/8-4. Rolling out Bailey in 2021 with no serious previous playing time is bad idea for Pruitt. Especially when year 3 is when a lot of folks will be judging the temperature of his seat.

Reactions: Woke
Realistically we will have a strong line for the next two seasons on offense while breaking in 3 new starters (Keyton, Johnson/Gibbs, and Pope)

Find it hard to believe that the risks of letting Bailey play behind 3/5's of the same line for 2 years trumps wasting a year on JG who only has one year of eligibility left.....

In theory, Bailey would return in 2021 with the same core of offense... And at the end of the day, he can average around 200 yards per game and 2 touchdowns per game or come close to that, he's already ahead of JG as a 3rd year starter.

Good QB play is prolly the difference in going 9-3/10-2 next year and 7-5/8-4. Rolling out Bailey in 2021 with no serious previous playing time is bad idea for Pruitt. Especially when year 3 is when a lot of folks will be judging the temperature of his seat.
How can playing JG be wasting a year if yr 3 is the temp gauge season? Conflicting arguments. Regardless, seat temp is a nonissue. Pruitt will and should play the guy who he thinks will win the most games that year, or actually, whoever gives the best chance to win the next game on the schedule.

No need to post BS delusions about JG all offseason. He was so bad that they put a true Fr in before he was ready whether you want to admit it or not.... and barring an injury that Fr probably would have started the rest of the season. If he starts again... he will hold the team back again.

You struggle with comprehending what you are reading. I said there is no use bashing him all offseason and he will be the starting qb unless he is beat out. Do you really think he moved down the depth chart just because the season is over? I don’t care who starts as long as they are the best we have but we don’t need people like you bashing our players all summer. We all watched the games and know where we need help. Im excited about Bailey coming in but I don’t have to trash JG in the process.

I’d rather have a freshmen out there then Deandre Johnson. I’d take my chances with Morven or Baron.

WR will be good but middle road SEC, not the aggressive types that can own the ball & be QB best friend
think RB will be split carries between 3 RB's no real starter.
Everything else looks very good even ST , think we will be breaking in new long snapper.
Most experienced QB in SEC besides kellen mond
IMHO Palmer can be elite. He made some ridiculous catches this year. Keaton sure looked aggressive reeling in that deep ball at the bowl game. I wouldn’t be surprised if those guys end up in the top third of the conference. One must also keep in mind that we potentially have one of the best offensive lines in school history. That may well translate to devastating run game which in turn will lead to a bunch of wide open receivers. Just my opinion. I could be wrong!!!

Reactions: knox73
Weakest link to me are the OLBs. Would like to have better athletes at that pass rushing position with greater length and size.
I have high hopes for Bennett. It felt like he was on the verge of breaking out last year. Roman Harrison is a young guy who got a lot of experience last year that could also compete for starts. I think the main reason it's important to bring Banks back is because it will allow Crouch to stay outside.

Reactions: VOLED

Do any of you JG haters have a reasonable explanation why the coaches would intentionally start a guy that isnt the best option? While im not totally on board that Pruitt and company are gonna take us to championship levels but im fairly confident that they wouldnt start JG if he was as bad as some of yall let on, while the next coming rides the pine.

• OL: LT Wanya Morris, LG Trey Smith, C Brandon Kennedy, RG Cade Mays, RT Darnell Wright
The fact that Chandler, Jordan, Gibbs, Hyatt, Whitehead, Carvin, Jamir, HB, & BM are all considered backup role players on offense suggests we are getting deeper. U add Butler, Emerson, Simmons, JJ, Buchanan, Theo, Lawrence, Baron, D. Bailey, & Thomas as role players on defense and it makes this a real exciting time for us. Im pretty sure someone not named will make a surprise impact. If we get decent qb play we could shock some people.

Reactions: Bret178
How can playing JG be wasting a year if yr 3 is the temp gauge season? Conflicting arguments. Regardless, seat temp is a nonissue. Pruitt will and should play the guy who he thinks will win the most games that year, or actually, whoever gives the best chance to win the next game on the schedule.

What would you rather happen of the two scenarios below:

7-5/8-4 with JG (in final year of eligibility) at QB and rolling Bailey out with no serious playing time in 2021
7-5/8-4 with Bailey at QB and rolling into 2021 with the majority of the same offense coming back (Receivers/Running Backs/Linemen)

7-5/8-4 with a 5th year senior who has been a dud over his career is very different than rolling out a 7-5/8-4 season with a 5 star true freshman QB......

Reactions: 901 Orange and Woke
Should be a WR starter. I hear he was something else on the scout team.

B. Johnson/Keyton will be 3rd & 4th WRs with plenty of snaps each.
Couple of comments:

(1) Would be surprised if Gibbs is not a starter.
(2) With the OL we have, I would not be surprised to see the Vols line up with two tight ends and a fullback and run the ball like the 49ers. If I were OC, it would be my top priority. Line up and physically dominate the opposition. Beat them into submission.

Reactions: HuntlandVolinColo
Hodge will be our big goal line back next year instead of Crouch.

Pruitt has indicated that Whitehead will get strong consideration at RB. At 6'2"-230, probably 235-240 by the time the season rolls around, he could be a beast at RB. Hodge at 6'-210 not near as likely to be our short yardage back. You could be right, but Hodge will probably have to add 15-20 lbs. to contend with Whitehead.

I'd change:

QB: Harrison Bailey
WR: DeAngelo Gibbs for Brandon Johnson
OLB: Roman Harrison for Deandre Johnson

I agree that Crouch ends up inside next to To'oto'o.

Reactions: valoisvol

VN Store

Back