247: Vols' projected depth chart next season

You struggle with comprehending what you are reading. I said there is no use bashing him all offseason and he will be the starting qb unless he is beat out.
And my response is if you don't want to discuss it then DON'T. Your attempt to cut off debate and dictate that other can't respond to the BS posted by JG apologists is just as offensive to some of us as the "bashing" is to you.

Do you really think he moved down the depth chart just because the season is over? I don’t care who starts as long as they are the best we have but we don’t need people like you bashing our players all summer. We all watched the games and know where we need help. Im excited about Bailey coming in but I don’t have to trash JG in the process.
If valid, objective criticism is "bashing" or "trashing" then so be it. I'll make you a deal. If his apologists don't post a bunch of BS spin then you won't have to worry about me bringing up the truth about his performance any more. Deal?

Reactions: KBVol and igotworms
Do any of you pedophiles have a reasonable explanation for why you aren't in jail yet? When you use the word "hater"... you're being no more truthful than I am using "pedophile".

Essentially the answer is that they didn't have a "best option". They tried Maurer and after exciting the coaches briefly he got hurt. Shrout for whatever reason hasn't developed as a manager of the O and doesn't really give you much more in the passing game than JG.

JG was the "best" by default... not because he's good.

And due pretty much to experience alone, he was better at managing the run game. That's a big factor and was key to Pruitt's decision when considering Shrout briefly.

He has strengths. I criticized his avoidance of the middle of the field over the off-season. He improved by leaps and bounds on the longer developing plays to the middle of the field. He still doesn't throw quickly to the middle often or well. But he made some very good plays this year he had not previously made... wouldn't even try them before.

But... he has a fatal weakness. He processes too slow. He also does not anticipate throws. That appears to be an innate weakness. It has and does manifest itself in late throws, underthrown balls, defenders closing on open targets, difficulty hitting hot routes, taking sacks, missing targets downfield, "checking down" because coverage closes, etc. It has always been a problem. I hoped after the 3 good performances at the end of the year he was overcoming some of those issues. Vandy caused concern. IU destroyed that hope.

It is time to cut bait and move on.
So long story short he was better than the other qbs.

Overall he improved year over year.

He was great the last couple of drives we saw him play.

Maybe you and your agenda should move on.

It is 100% on CJP as to who starts as our QB, why is anyone even thinking about questioning his decision?
I don't think Pruitt has made any unreasonable decisions. A decision can be reasonable and wrong... but IMHO he hasn't done anything stupid. Not when he invested in JG and tried to build his confidence. Not when he benched him and started Maurer. Not when he worked JG back in as the back up. Not when he started JG again. I would argue that starting JG in the last two games doesn't look like a great decision because of how he played... but not "unreasonable" based on how he had played the previous 3 games.

This will become harder to say if JG doesn't start processing faster and anticipating throws. Playcalling suggests the coaches know it is a problem.

Maurer is a guy who wants to see it and throw it. They may need to slow him down. One of HB's strong suits is supposedly reading quickly and getting the ball out. Both of those guys have a strength that aligns with JG's fatal flaw.

I do trust Pruitt to make reasonable, well-considered decisions even if I don't personally think they're the best available choices.

So long story short he was better than the other qbs.
A "short" story can't cover this season... and no... he was NOT the better choice in every game. Obviously since he was BENCHED.

Overall he improved year over year.
Yes. There were areas of improvement. I can see that and give him credit for it. Our difference is that I can also see his flaws and the impact of them. You deny he has any.

He was great the last couple of drives we saw him play.
LOL... you are a fundamentally dishonest person. In one line you want to summarize with "he's better"... then two lines later you want to excuse a really bad performance with a couple of drives.

Maybe you and your agenda should move on.
How 'bout no? I've been here a long time. Not going anywhere. As long as cultists like you post non-sense... I'll be calling you out on it. Just so you know... your recent whining won't make me less attentive to your posts.... Have fun with that.

Reactions: IamScaredOfTrees
Should be a WR starter. I hear he was something else on the scout team.

B. Johnson/Keyton will be 3rd & 4th WRs with plenty of snaps each.
I'm pretty excited about the WR group. Losing JJ and MC is no small thing but there's a ton of talent left.

I'm still worried about who will get them the ball and if any of the QB's can do it well consistently.

Reactions: HuntlandVolinColo
Fixed it for you. Seriously, if we trot Jg out there I’ll begin to lose trust in pruitt. Bailey played at the highest level of high school football there is and was amazing. The only other former QBs in ga football history that have similar number are desean Watson, Trevor Lawrence, Justin fields, and jake Fromm. All of them proved immediately they were legit. Plus, we’ll have the best line (and likely running game) we’ve had in years. So what greater opportunity to easy a freshman in than this year. You only get a super star talent in college for 3 years so why not start him right away. We’ve already seen what jg ceiling is and it’s low. Really low.
There are 5 guys legitimately competing for the job. If Bailey is THAT good then I'll certainly be giddy about it. I just don't see him passing all of the others as a Fr.

I've criticized JG and drawn more flak than anyone... but if Pruitt starts JG in front of Bailey then Bailey isn't ready.... and isn't very close.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
Pretty good overviews with projected starters listed below.

OFFENSE: Projecting Tennessee's way-too-early depth chart: Offense
  • QB: Jarrett Guarantano
  • RB: Eric Gray
  • WR: Josh Palmer, Ramel Keyton, Brandon Johnson
  • TE: Austin Pope
  • OL: LT Wanya Morris, LG Trey Smith, C Brandon Kennedy, RG Cade Mays, RT Darnell Wright
DEFENSE: Projecting Tennessee's way-too-early depth chart: Defense
  • DL: Aubrey Solomon, Emmit Gooden, Darel Middleton
  • OLB: Kivon Bennett, Deandre Johnson
  • ILB: Henry To'o To'o, Quavaris Crouch
  • CB: Bryce Thompson, Alontae Taylor, Shawn Shamburger (star/nickelback)
  • S: Jaylen McCollough, Trevon Flowers
1. Nauseated to see Guarantano projected at QB
2. Where is DeAngelo Gibbs at WR?
3. I’d guess that Gray splits time with Chandler, he’s not a workhorse bellcow running back.
4. Austin Pope to start at TE? Good grief.
5. Agree with defensive starters.

Reactions: plaincityvol
Me either. Especially with how mediocre JG has been

Mediocre is being nice.

There is no reason to bash JG all offseason. .

Stop with the BS about how he's gonna be the starter then. He's terrible, and won't be the starter.

Guarantano is horrible. Just horrible. So horrible that coach had to 'start' someone else so the fans wouldn't boo his name.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
I don’t see us as a 7 win team in any scenario. 8 or 9 IMO. Evaluate the 1&2 QBs every week and play the one who gives you the best chance to win. Get Bailey some snaps when possible if he’s not getting starts.

If Pruitt sticks by his "he who wins the practice plays in the game" mentality when it comes to the QB position, then we will lose games in 2020 that we have no business losing, just like in 2019.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
I’m fairly confident that Bailey and Maurer would lead the offense to more points scored than JG. In The best game of JG’s career we only scored 24 points.
If Pruitt sticks by his "he who wins the practice plays in the game" mentality when it comes to the QB position, then we will lose games in 2020 that we have no business losing, just like in 2019.
Two cool stories.

DL: Solomon, (1a) Gooden(1b)Emerson,Middleton
ILB: To'oto'o, Banks
OLB: Johnson, Crouch
CB: Taylor, Thompson
Star/N: Shamburger
SS: McCullough
FS: Lawrence
Almost a hunnert with you ceptin one minor differing. Gooden was serviceable at nose and is quality depth there and either DE, but Emerson was a major reason for our DL’s turnaround and only getting better. Keep thinking I’m discounting Garland there also.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Almost a hunnert with you ceptin one minor differing. Gooden was serviceable at nose and is quality depth there and either DE, but Emerson was a major reason for our DL’s turnaround and only getting better. Keep thinking I’m discounting Garland there also.

I gree wit ya......I got em interchangeable 1a and 1b...

VN Store

Back