247 rankings

Pay close attention to Clemson commit Bubba Chandler. He is a 3 star and rated in the 500's. Wouldn't be surprised if he get a bump or two.

Reactions: TheBigOne10
Early. A lot will probably change rankings and as far as commits. I’d rather be almost full early and adjust as we go.
yep. i won't be surprised if we look up sometime in the next month or so and see us with 25+ commits....that won't last obviously....it's may. and it's fluid. but so far, so good.....and i think that's a giant understatement....lol.....

In case you haven’t been paying attention stars matter a lot when we get a 4/5 star and they don’t matter at all when we get a 3 star.

I look at offer lists over rankings but stars usually reflect the quality of the offer list (not in all cases but in most). We are beating UGA, FL, Clem, Bama for recruits which is a good sign that we are on the right track

Based upon previous years you need to add 35 points to finish #5, and 55 points to finish #1. How many can you sign.

Even though we have 14 - 3 stars and our 4's are dropping in rankings.. we still finish in top 5 . Dont ya think !! 😃

The only opinion of this class that matters are the coaches. If they've evaluated and offered a young man that they think will contribute to a winning program ? Recruiting services be damned. Of course you want to get as much "elite" talent on your roster as possible, but I trust this staff to evaluate and develop players. Let em keep sleeping on Tennessee. GB🍊

Sign early you drop. CJP & Tee just need to fill our needs. Get guys who can hit the field.

No camps. No practice. No chance for evaluation. Yet recruits still drop? That’s dumb IMO. Take Lewis and Brooks. Bother consensus 5* players. Now for them to have gotten that ranking their film had to be watched and evaluated a lot. So seeing’s how no new film is available, how can you drop somebody?

Now There is the flip side. COVID has given the recruiting services a chance to watch guys they may not have paid much attention to. In that respect, I can see a guy getting moved up or down because of seeing more film. But dropping guys that have not had any new film? Especially guys who the services have ranked very high? That’s not right or fair.

Coaches are going to cut a recruit BECAUSE he doesn't get a boost in star ranking??
Absolutely. The coaches will not pull scholarships. However, the do get very creative
Total points for the ranking. They don't do an actual ranking based on average player rating.

But it's a good benchmark to use when judging over all quality of the class.

Our ranking is a product of point total with 23 commits... Which is more than anyone in the top 50.

Our average player rating is not typical of what most top 3-5 classes wind up being.

That said, I think if you take the top 10-12 guys in the class, most of whom committed inn three last 3 weeks, it's around 93 if I remember right.

Over all it's right at 90 I think.

So we're#2... But until/unless there's movement at three bottom of the class in either rating bumps or attrition, it won't stay top 5.

All that said... This cycle and the ratings are a little wacked out because there are no on campus or 3rd party camps. So rating adjustments like we saw yesterday kinda need to be taken in stride... They really don't mean anything at this point. They can't... Nothing really to rate from that wasn't already in the can...(Jr season film). So how a kid is a 5 star coming out of that season isn't in May of the following spring is just a math problem.

Another consideration is a lot of kids haven't been rated at all but some services... Like this kid '21 - FL CB Damarius McGhee
Top 100 player nationally by 247...2* by rivals...

Our class will experience attrition, and our ranking will move down over time.

As long as the core stays put, and we continue to stay in the mix for a lot of the high profile kids we're definitely in on... We'll be fine. I expect it will finish anywhere between 4th and 9th...

The number of commits does matter — but if you took this class and only kept the 4-star guys and cut the 3-star guys we would still be in the top five. So we will keep adding big talent and culling the herd, so to speak. Some of our current 3-stars will need a ratings boost or get replaced. Watch.
the rating boost has nothing to do with it....coaches couldn't care less about start rankings...unless your cbj.

the only reason a kid gets processed out of a class are because they are upgrading and don't have a spot for the kid, or the kid did something that warranted being processed (got in trouble or something). there have also been cases of kids that get injured, severely, and wind up losing their spot.

but it rarely, if ever, has a thing to do with the rating bump or drop.

Butch sucked but he is one of the only coaches in any recent memory to beat Florida and Georgia in same year. We were ranked 9th in the country. Then that win vs Ga. Tech. After that it all collapsed.

Based upon previous years you need to add 35 points to finish #5, and 55 points to finish #1. How many can you sign.
giphy.gif

Absolutely. The coaches will not pull scholarships. However, the coaches do get very creative, like blueshirts etc..
Rivals rankings only include the top 20 of a team's commits, they don't count the others.

As far as I know, 247 does their own rankings and the composite of Rivals, ESPN and 247. IMHO, Rivals and 247 treat UT pretty well and ESPN does not. Last year, Rivals had TN at #7 and ESPN had UT around #19.

Sorry about the double post.

Last edited:
In the past four years, three different teams won NCs. See below, where I listed the national champion for each year over the past four years, that team’s completed recruiting class rankings over the most recent four years per Rivals, who held the #1 recruiting class each of those years and what the team’s average recruiting ranking was over those four years.

You will see Clemson won two National Championships over those four years, and they only had one top 5 recruiting class. Over those four years, they averaged a team recruiting ranking of 10 and they did not have a top 5 recruiting class. Same with LSU who won one. Bama who also won one did have four top 2 classes.

Still, look at Tennessee’s 2015 season where we had two top 5 classes, we had the same average as the team that won the most NCs over the past 4 years (Clemson) and had one more top 5 class than Clemson did when they won it, yet we ended up ranked by some as the 79th team.

If you look at the last team, it is our team next year with the same set of data points. If we closed at #2, we would have a .25 higher average ranking over the most four recent completed recruiting classes as our 2015 team, with zero top 5 classes. I bet we do much better than 4-8 if we have the season.

Clearly recruiting is important, and yes # of recruits boosts your total points which is how they rank recruiting classes, but coaching is imperative. My biggest concern is NOT our rankings or the coaches we have. It is the fact we lost Fitz and promoted someone with a relatively week resume in comparison to that of the person who just left and other examples of 1st time promos who have succeeded in the past. This is eerily similar to Butch Jones’ decision regardless of reason for it.

LSU 2019
2016 5th (Bama)
2017 8th (Bama)
2018 14th (Georgia)
2019 3rd (Georgia)
Average rank: 7.5

CLEMSON 2018
2015 4th (USC)
2016 6th (Bama)
2017 22nd (Bama)
2018 8th (Georgia)
Average rank: 10

Alabama 2017
2014 1st
2015 2nd (USC)
2016 1st
2017 1st
Average rank: 1.25

Clemson 2016
2013 14th (Bama)
2014 13th (Bama)
2015 4th (USC)
2016 6th (Bama)
Average rank: 9.25

Tennessee 2015
2014 5th
2015 5th
2016 15th
2017 15th (4-8) (0-8) ranked 79th by Athlon
Average rank: 10

Tennessee 2021
2018 20th
2019 13th
2020 7th
2021 2nd
Average rank: 10.25
And if we had a good coach we wouldn't of went 4-8 and we would have won the east under dobbs.

Who have we announced to replace Fitz?

Good post but I don't quite share your sentiment or level of concern. I see three probably scenarios playing out in regards to our strength & conditioning coach.

A. Pruitt brings in a homerun hire that assauges our concerns, similar to how he brought Chaney in.

B. Pruitt promotes from within. I find this most likely at this point.

C. Pruitt brings in an unproven outside hire.

I find option A unlikely at this point, B probable, and C very unlikely.

Was that guy Szernszen Butch gave the technical title to an outside hire or promoted from within? Regardless of which, he was unproven and clearly unqualified.

With Pruitt's previous DC tenures at Fl-St, GA, & AL I find it highly unlikely that Fitz didn't directly answer to Pruitt's purview, or that Pruitt would fail to properly vet a new hire/promotion. Whoever our Strength Coach is will operate within the confines of a system and answer to Pruitt. We're not going to have a Juice Bar option C play out again. Butch didn't have a process for us to trust...(Hangs head in shame, I was a Butch sunshine pumper).

More reason to trust Pruitt that Butch couldn't claim, is Pruitt's history of developing talent at all stops during his DC career. Pruitt fielded Top-10 elite defenses at Fl-St, GA, & AL. He proved at all three stops he could produce a Top-10 defense with 7-8 3rd year players rated 4*'s or better, with the other players being 3* or projects, as his starters. A couple of those elite D's weren't 5* heavy. I believe he only had one 5* one of the years he fielded an elite defense.

We don't quite yet have the star rating & experience that Pruitt fielded elite defenses at previous stops during his career. That's actually a positive indicator of the job Pruitt is doing. He showed major incremental improvement from 2018-2019 having to utilize less experienced players and more 3*'s than his previous stops.

Yes internal promo and I have read Fitz’ former assistant AJ is the man. His resume is not sufficient.

The guy BJ promoted was promoted from within based on player feedback and lack of funds from Hart. BJ had his hands tied.

Thank you for positive sentiments on post.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
It was said elsewhere that no 2 star long snapper will pull us down this year. I feel compelled to say that Will Albright is a great kid on and off the field. I sure hope he is able to contribute at some point in his time as a vol.

GBO!

We are not likely to finish in the top 5 with that many 3 stars tying up spots. I mean, i like the buzz from all the recruiting, but some of this is just noise. Those ither programs aren't closing deals early on 3 stars because they are hunting bigger game. They'll take 3 stars later. like leaving the bar at 2am with a 5 because you tried all night to leave with a 10.

VN Store

Back