'22 TN PG Brian Edwards Jr. (BJ Edwards) (Tennessee commit)

Boy, this discussion sure took a turn when I forgot that Jay Price was from Chattanooga rather than Knoxville.

Knox County/Knoxville:

BJ Edwards (Catholic)
Handje Tamba (Catholic)
Ron Widby (Fulton)
Bill Justus (Fulton)
Jimmy England (Holston)
Doug Roth (Karns)
Travis Henry (Karns)
Rob Jones (Austin-East)
Jerald Hyatt (A-E)
Bert Bertelkamp (Bearden)
Drew Pember (Bearden)
Jordan Bowden (Carter)

and some other really good players:
John Johnson (Bearden) Maryland
Elston Turner (Austin-East) Mississippi
Gary England (Holston) Auburn
Chris Gettlefinger (Catholic) Kentucky
Kent Hollenbeck (Bearden) Kentucky
Ques Glover (Bearden) Florida
Lee Humphrey (Maryville (same district/division as Bearden, Farragut, and H-V-A)) Florida

Lots of walk-ons no doubt, including Brock Jancek (Catholic)

Boy, this discussion sure took a turn when I forgot that Jay Price was from Chattanooga rather than Knoxville.

Knox County/Knoxville:

BJ Edwards (Catholic)
Handje Tamba (Catholic)
Ron Widby (Fulton)
Bill Justus (Fulton)
Jimmy England (Holston)
Doug Roth (Karns)
Travis Henry (Karns)
Rob Jones (Austin-East)
Jerald Hyatt (A-E)
Drew Pember (Bearden)
Jordan Bowden (Carter)

Lee Humphrey (Maryville (same district/division as Bearden, Farragut, and H-V-A)) Florida

Let me say one thing, I played against Chris Gettlefinger, in a rec-league, in Jefferson City. I was in my early 20's, he was around 30. I scored 36 points, he had 32 and his team won in OT. He was a pr!ck and overrated, especially, if I could hang with in

Knox County/Knoxville:

BJ Edwards (Catholic)
Handje Tamba (Catholic)
Ron Widby (Fulton)
Bill Justus (Fulton)
Jimmy England (Holston)
Doug Roth (Karns)
Travis Henry (Karns)
Rob Jones (Austin-East)
Jerald Hyatt (A-E)
Drew Pember (Bearden)
Jordan Bowden (Carter)

Joey Brooks played with Roth & Henry at Karns. I think he went to Furman. That team was loaded.

Rupert Breedlove was a great player from Austin-East that was on the 1970-71 TN roster. One of A-E’s greatest. It didn’t work out for him at TN though.

Brandon Lopez was a walk-on from A-E, but again there have been a lot of Knoxville area walk-ons that were on TN rosters.

Wade Houston is from Alcoa, but had moved to Louisville by the time he was in high school.

Rupert Breedlove was a great player from Austin-East that was on the 1970-71 TN roster. One of A-E’s greatest. It didn’t work out for him at TN though.

Brandon Lopez was a walk-on from A-E, but again there have been a lot of Knoxville area walk-ons that were on TN rosters.

Wade Houston is from Alcoa, but had moved to Louisville by the time he was in high school.
Idk if you remember Denton Jones from Central, but he was highly thought of until the concussion during a Freshman game that effectively ended his Tennessee career.

Idk if you remember Denton Jones from Central, but he was highly thought of until the concussion during a Freshman game that effectively ended his Tennessee career.

I didn’t realize that he was from Central. I had heard that he could have returned, but the staff was going to require that he must wear protective headgear and he didn’t want to do that. So he transferred. There is a Denton Jones that was on the Stetson roster for 2 seasons ending in 1974.

I’d never known that Bobby Knight was to blame:

“A SCARY MOMENT, THEN AND NOW”

Reactions: LoudOrange
I didn’t realize that he was from Central. I had heard that he could have returned, but the staff was going to require that he must wear protective headgear and he didn’t want to do that. So he transferred. There is a Denton Jones that was on the Stetson roster for 2 seasons ending in 1974.

I’d never known that Bobby Knight was to blame:

“A SCARY MOMENT, THEN AND NOW”
Thanks. I hadn't heard that story, what a shame. Yes, that is the same Denton Jones. Stetson recruited the Knoxville area then as Halls also had a player go there around the same time.

VN Store

Back