'22 TN PG Brian Edwards Jr. (BJ Edwards) (Tennessee commit)

He gone

Thanks for the memories VFL
Air balling free throws doesn’t help the old draft stock. I think he’s probably gone, but it’s getting closer to a point where he’ll have a hard decision to make. At the start of the season I thought it would be a no-brainer

The roster wasn’t mismanaged it was a COVID year and there was no summer workouts or real preseason. Then the season had several starts and stops.

Didn’t have a real true PG. it wasn’t fair making Vesco play PG full time and neither KJ or JS were PGs. Too many of the same 2 guards.

I may be stating the obvious here, but I truly believe next years team will be pretty special. Getting everyone back except for Fulky and maybe a guy or 2 transferring out is not that bad. Getting Edwards and possibly another player, and then getting a healthy Olivier back to go in the post rotation. Ziegler-Vescovi-James-Nkouhma-BHH is a SOLID starting 5. Plavsic, Aidoo, Bailey Jr, Powell, Mishack, Edwards, etc. next years team may be even stronger than this years team IMO.

If Barnes could recruit an experienced transfer post to go with the young guys, I’d agree.

Reactions: TitanicVolz
Didn’t have a real true PG. it wasn’t fair making Vesco play PG full time and neither KJ or JS were PGs. Too many of the same 2 guards.
Practice time was cut in half due to covid but they were wanting to use that time to develop JS into the primary PG in my mind

BJE has the potential to be one of the best ever TN basketball players from Knoxville. Bowden, Roth, Bertelkamp, England, Justus, and Widby might be the current top 6 (in no particular order). Did I leave anybody out? John Johnson and Elston Turner would have been near the top had they stayed home.

Rob Jones? Would he crack the top 6?

Yes. Rob Jones should be in the top group. I’d put Widby, Justus, and England as the first 3. Then Jones, Bertelkamp, Roth, and Bowden after them. Jay Price, Travis Henry, and Jerald Hyatt somewhere below those 7. I bet that there are a few from the years prior to Widby.

Yes. Rob Jones should be in the top group. I’d put Widby, Justus, and England as the first 3. Then Jones, Bertelkamp, Roth, and Bowden after them. Jay Price, Travis Henry, and Jerald Hyatt somewhere below those 7. I bet that there are a few from the years prior to Widby.
If we can count Rutledge as Knoxville, I'd throw the Rutledge Rifle into the mix.

If we can count Rutledge as Knoxville, I'd throw the Rutledge Rifle into the mix.

I was thinking about McThree but totally forgot about AW. Grainger does border Knox, but it seems so much farther away than Blount, Anderson, Loudon, and even Sevier counties.

AW would certainly be top 4 and most likely top 2. Maybe even #1.

Reactions: lostsheep
I think Price was from Chattanooga. Or I'm just getting too old to remember.

Reactions: VOLED and walkenvol
Wasn’t Price from Chattanooga?

Reactions: VOLED
I think Price was from Chattanooga. Or I'm just getting too old to remember.

That’s right I was thinking that he was also a Roadrunner, but Chattanooga is correct. I might have been thinking about Jerald Hyatt. I think that he was a guard from A-E.

Aaron Green might have been from around Athens. But I’m thinking more along the lines of Knox County or barely beyond the county line.

Widby
Justus
England
Roth
Bowden
Rob Jones
Bertelkamp
Travis Henry

And two of the best ever, Elston and John Johnson left town.

Last edited:
That’s right I was thinking that he was also a Roadrunner, but Chattanooga is correct. I might have been thinking about Jerald Hyatt. I think that he was a guard from A-E.

Aaron Green might have been from around Athens. But I’m thinking more along the lines of Knox County or barely beyond the county line.

Widby
Justus
England
Roth
Bowden
Rob Jones
Bertelkamp
Travis Henry

And two of the best ever, Elston and John Johnson left town.
Aaron Green was from Sweetwater, IIRC.

Reactions: Putbacks
Aaron Green was from Sweetwater, IIRC.

Yes, somewhere off of I-75 between Knox and Chattanooga is where I was thinking.

BJE has the potential to be the best Vol out of Knox County in a long time.

I guess Knoxville might have been far more productive at cranking out great TN baseball players than basketball.

I was thinking about McThree but totally forgot about AW. Grainger does border Knox, but it seems so much farther away than Blount, Anderson, Loudon, and even Sevier counties.

AW would certainly be top 4 and most likely top 2. Maybe even #1.

Grainger is just so hard to get in and out of is why it feels so far.

Vincent Yarbrough played at Cleveland. Seeing how he was all-SEC a couple of times and got drafted has to put him up there in terms of being one of the best to come from the east Tennessee region and play at UT.

Reactions: The Dog

VN Store

Back