'22 SC SF Julian Phillips (Tennessee commit)

Three point defense can be more effective when the big are missing layups and not getting offensive rebounds. When you shoot 21% for a game, the odds are you will not win the ballgame.

We held our own in rebounding when we went big. When we went small it blowed. I don't recall our bigs constantly putting a body on their center either. Sometimes he avoided it and killed us with outside shooting. As well as they played against us, I think it was still end of the road for them the next game.

If Phillips can't outpace Uros I'll be extremely disappointed.
Well, that wasn't necessarily an exhaustive list of players capable of outplaying Phillips solely based on talent. Rther, just a list of players that currently stand between him and a starting spot; players he will compete with for playing time.

We all know Phillips is more talented than Uros, but we've also seen that the most naturally gifted player isn't alway the starter. Barnes values experience, right or wrong. That is something Phillips will have to overcome. BHH and Aidoo didn't start over Uros, though BHH started alongside him after Nkamhoua was sidelined.

Ultimately, Phillips and Uros play different positions, so the 1 for 1 comparison isn't really worth discussing. I think we both agree Phillips is a better basketball player than Uros. The real issue at the heart of my quoted statement was the idea of whether Phillips is good enough, immediately, to start at the 4 and the suggestion by @vols 30 that he pushes ON to the 5 in the starting lineup, which would displace Uros from the starting lineup.

If Phillips is that good, I would think he’d start at the 4 and ON could start at the 5.
That's what I would think would happen. JJJ at the 3, Phillips at the 4 (or vice versa, doesn't really matter) and ON at the 5. Solid front court in theory. BHH and Aidoo get almost all of the minutes behind them.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
He was our second best rebounder last year? That was behind only Jo, who he would be sharing the court with. He was certainly a better rebounder than Uros and Fulky last year. He should improve with his maturation anyway.
Uros averaged 1.5 fewer rebounds in 7.5 (33%) fewer minutes per game. The idea being that if ON were to slide down and play the 5, we need him to be more active on the boards as part of his primary responsibility. I will admit that he was better in that area, last year, than he was in his first two years.

Reactions: AngryButchJones
I see a lot of Paul George in Phillips' game with how smooth his offense skill-set is.

A lineup of Collins, SV, Phillips, JJJ and Olivier/ BHH would be really solid.
Don't tell me that, PG13 is my man. Love him and the Clippers are my Western Conf. team. People forget PG snapped his leg in half playing for the USA team and came back, better than ever. Now, I gotta watch Phillips's highlights

Don't tell me that, PG13 is my man. Love him and the Clippers are my Western Conf. team. People forget PG snapped his leg in half playing for the USA team and came back, better than ever. Now, I gotta watch Phillips's highlights

my brother in christ, the grizzlies are in the western conference

my brother in christ, the grizzlies are in the western conference
My 2nd team. I love PG. I've learned to appreciate how good of a coach, Ty Lue is. Now, if Leonard (another favorite of mine) would get healthy, u never know ? Plus, the Grizzs will always be Vancouver to me, like the Titans are the Houston Oilers to me

Basilio is simply echoing the opinion of Mark Griffin (former Vol and part of the EAB AAU basketball program) from an interview with Griffin on Tony's show, yesterday.

I have always enjoyed Griff's appearances and insight, but was pretty surprised at his lack of attention to detail in his appearance, yesterday.

First, he incorrectly pronounced and spelled the last name of the best player in the EAB organization on air, yesterday, which really had me scratching my head.

Secondly, he tried to rule out Auburn as a potential destination for Phillips because they just signed "some kid named Traore", whose name he also butchered, but more forgivable than the kid inside his own program. His belief was that Phillips wouldn't want to go to Auburn to share playing time with Traore. What he apparently fails to realize is that Traore and Phillips were both signed with LSU before Wade was fired. If they were comfortable playing at LSU together, what would deter that idea at Auburn?

In any case, he is extremely impressed with Phillips. Talked about some of his strengths and how he'd fit culturally at Tennessee. Griffin believes Phillips takes ON's spot on day one, but Barnes has a history of deferring to veterans. I think Phillips is clearly the more talented player, but he'll have to earn that spot in the lineup.
Yes, I doubt Phillips starts, and I would say I’m surprised about Mark’s gaffe, but I’m really not, if that makes sense.

Reactions: cncchris33

Grew up in central indiana. PG led Pacers were the second highest peak of my Pacer fandom after the later Reggie teams.

Phillips’ game is really fluid and smooth. He’s missing PG’s pull up jumper but I’m sure it’ll come given how much of a threat he already is from 3. Not sure what kind of defender he is though.

ON needs to step up rebounding, ball security, and his lack of situational acuity. Too many blunders for a guy with his experience.
The difference between his good games and bad games is big. He seems to have a concentration issue. When he’s dialed in, I think he can be a serious contributor. Other times, he looks like a near-sighted toddler swatting a balloon.

My 2nd team. I love PG. I've learned to appreciate how good of a coach, Ty Lue is. Now, if Leonard (another favorite of mine) would get healthy, u never know ? Plus, the Grizzs will always be Vancouver to me, like the Titans are the Houston Oilers to me
The Grizz have been in Memphis for 21 years compared to only 6 in Vancouver. I think you need to get over that one. Oilers is certainly different as they actually had history there, but Vancouver was one of the worst franchises ever.

Personally, I do not see ON at the 5. He rebounded the ball from the 4 - if my memory serves me well.

Julian Phillips will likely play the 3, which is where I think he gets on the floor faster ... but he does have the makings of a body to play at the 4 (just a lot more people in front of him there).
JP wants to play as a freshman ... that suggests to me that Tennessee might not be as good a fit as some other schools.
Hoping I am wrong. Julian's objective appears to be the NBA after 1 year ... so he needs a place where he can play a lot and showcase his skills.
JP coming to UT makes a TON more sense if either Santi of JJJ stayed in the draft ... but it feels more like they both come back for one more year.

JP wants to play as a freshman ... that suggests to me that Tennessee might not be as good a fit as some other schools. Hoping I am wrong. Julian's objective appears to be the NBA after 1 year ... so he needs a place where he can play a lot and showcase his skills.

I can promise you if Phillips is as good as his ranking suggests, he will play major minutes. Just like Kennedy Chandler did the deep roster will not stop him.

He’s a very highly rated prospect so you really hope the hype is real. Reading his profile on 247 I think he’s more of a SF type player in the mold of Jabari Smith, but maybe a little less refined with his shooting ability. I think you could switch him and JJJ out and he be happy with being JJJ’s direct backup. I mean really after JJJ who we got? Powell? Mashack? I love the potential of those guys but they didn’t show me much last year. I’m rooting hard for Mashack, and personally I think a guy like Phillips would help make those guys better. That’s why Ziegler was so good as a freshman because he was going against arguably the best PG in the country. There’s something to be said about practicing against elite competition.

If all these guys happen the 2 deep could potentially look like this; PG: Collins, Ziegler SG: Vescovi, Murray or Key SF: JJJ, Phillips PF: ON, BHH C: Aidoo(hopefully), Plavsic. That’s not even mentioning guys like Powell, Mashack, Edwards, Etc. Also, who knows! Edwards may come in and be an absolute stud as a freshman too. Ziegler was so at this point who knows! We just need to land those 3 guys whether key or Murray is one of the three doesn’t matter, because both are solid.

VN Store

Back