'22 SC SF Julian Phillips (Tennessee commit)

I may be wrong but I think Auburn is going harder after LSU decommit 6'8" SF Devin Ree per ON3. Looks like he will choose between Auburn and Louisville. Maybe Auburn has moved on from Phillips. Ree is supposed to be one of the most elite shooters in the 2022 class and Auburn struggled from 3 last season. They are also looking for a Center to replace Kessler as Trahore will slide in Smith's position per ON3. I think we may actually have a realistic chance of getting Julian Phillips.
I didn't realize Traore and Smith had a similar skillset.

I didn't realize Traore and
Smith had a similar skillset.

Traore use to be a guard until he had a major growth spurt and now is 6'10". He can shoot but he is not the elite shooter Smith is. He will probably be used more around the basket and midrange. Traore's ball handling is way better than Smith and he drives to the basket more rather than being a spot up shooter. They got a good one. He will be a problem if Auburn guards improve their shooting and shot selection. Tennessee should still be better though.

I think this is new. For some reason I recall hearing he wouldn’t take any more visits. Have to think one will be Auburn then
The article is a couple days old, and he even mentions that he doesn't have any visits planned or places to visit in mind. Also says he needs to talk it over with his family. Maybe they have changed course since Monday.

If we are unable to land Phillips/Reneau or any of the relatively good portal entrants this off-season after the season we just had, then I will be a little more concerned with our recruiting. Surely we can lobby the success and notoriety of this past year into a few good recruits/transfers.

If not…..I’ll start to worry a bit more.

If we miss out on Philips/Reneau and the good portal guys, we should all be extremely concerned about recruiting, and I would think Barnes would be too.

Clark has been the real disappointment. He’s either oversold his connections or recruiting ability, or both.

Phillips and Reneau are mentioned today in the Chandler going pro article in today's News Sentinel.

If we miss out on Philips/Reneau and the good portal guys, we should all be extremely concerned about recruiting, and I would think Barnes would be too.

Clark has been the real disappointment. He’s either oversold his connections or recruiting ability, or both.
I think saying "extremely" is a bit hyperbolic here, but ok

I think this is new. For some reason I recall hearing he wouldn’t take any more visits. Have to think one will be Auburn then

I think Auburn only has 13 scholarships limit due to their probation. They are looking to replace Kessler according to per ON3.

I mentioned this on another page, but....

Todays Basilio page expresses the view that Philips would start day one over ON and possibly be a one and done.

Any thoughts?

Todays Basilio page expresses the view that Philips would start day one over ON and possibly be a one and done.

Any thoughts?
I’ve not seen Phillips really to say if I’d agree. However, if he is good enough for Barnes to start him day 1 over a 4 year guy who he trusts and thinks of as a leader in ON, then the kid must be special. I’d be surprised if ON doesn’t start unless has really been set back by his injury.

I’ve not seen Phillips really to say if I’d agree. However, if he is good enough for Barnes to start him day 1 over a 4 year guy who he trusts and thinks of as a leader in ON, then the kid must be special. I’d be surprised if ON doesn’t start unless has really been set back by his injury.

Also, Basillio.

Barnes has a pretty clear track record on that type of situation and it would surprise me as well to see Phillips start even if he did log the majority of minutes. Barnes does a good job managing it I think. Guys come off the bench and they are bought in to process.

If Phillips is that good, I would think he’d start at the 4 and ON could start at the 5.

Any thoughts?
Basilio is simply echoing the opinion of Mark Griffin (former Vol and part of the EAB AAU basketball program) from an interview with Griffin on Tony's show, yesterday.

I have always enjoyed Griff's appearances and insight, but was pretty surprised at his lack of attention to detail in his appearance, yesterday.

First, he incorrectly pronounced and spelled the last name of the best player in the EAB organization on air, yesterday, which really had me scratching my head.

Secondly, he tried to rule out Auburn as a potential destination for Phillips because they just signed "some kid named Traore", whose name he also butchered, but more forgivable than the kid inside his own program. His belief was that Phillips wouldn't want to go to Auburn to share playing time with Traore. What he apparently fails to realize is that Traore and Phillips were both signed with LSU before Wade was fired. If they were comfortable playing at LSU together, what would deter that idea at Auburn?

In any case, he is extremely impressed with Phillips. Talked about some of his strengths and how he'd fit culturally at Tennessee. Griffin believes Phillips takes ON's spot on day one, but Barnes has a history of deferring to veterans. I think Phillips is clearly the more talented player, but he'll have to earn that spot in the lineup.

Basilio is simply echoing the opinion of Mark Griffin (former Vol and part of the EAB AAU basketball program) from an interview with Griffin on Tony's show, yesterday.

I have always enjoyed Griff's appearances and insight, but was pretty surprised at his lack of attention to detail in his appearance, yesterday.

First, he incorrectly pronounced and spelled the last name of the best player in the EAB organization on air, yesterday, which really had me scratching my head.

Secondly, he tried to rule out Auburn as a potential destination for Phillips because they just signed "some kid named Traore", whose name he also butchered, but more forgivable than the kid inside his own program. His belief was that Phillips wouldn't want to go to Auburn to share playing time with Traore. What he apparently fails to realize is that Traore and Phillips were both signed with LSU before Wade was fired. If they were comfortable playing at LSU together, what would deter that idea at Auburn?

In any case, he is extremely impressed with Phillips. Talked about some of his strengths and how he'd fit culturally at Tennessee. Griffin believes Phillips takes ON's spot on day one, but Barnes has a history of deferring to veterans. I think Phillips is clearly the more talented player, but he'll have to earn that spot in the lineup.

Maybe RB would start both ON and Phillips?

Maybe RB would start both ON and Phillips?
Potentially, but it would mean Phillips outpaced Uros, BHH, and Aidoo, as well. Tall task for a freshman, but not impossible given that none of those three have demonstrated a super strong post game, yet. I think Barnes like ON at the 4 because of his newfound outside shot, but he may not be opposed to bumping him to the 5. He'd need to become more aggressive on the boards to be a 5-man in my lineup, but I'm not Rick Barnes, so that probably doesn't mean much.

Reactions: Vols All Day
Potentially, but it would mean Phillips outpaced Uros, BHH, and Aidoo, as well. Tall task for a freshman, but not impossible given that none of those three have demonstrated a super strong post game, yet. I think Barnes like ON at the 4 because of his newfound outside shot, but he may not be opposed to bumping him to the 5. He'd need to become more aggressive on the boards to be a 5-man in my lineup, but I'm not Rick Barnes, so that probably doesn't mean much.

Could happen this way. Nice problem to have

If Phillips can't outpace Uros I'll be extremely disappointed.

VN Store

Back