'21 Class Includes Only 2 TN Players - #15 and #21 In-State

As long as we got who we want from the state I’m happy. It is always nice to keep big time talent home . That’s why it’s been so damn hard to see Clemson with Higgins and some of our in state talent go in the draft.

I really want Wolfe and Colson. Those guys we need to keep home.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
17 of 19 recruits for the 2021 class are from out of state. The 2 commits in-state boys are ranked #15 and #21 within TN.

Should this be of concern? Any reason why we're not attracting in-state talent?
F'm if they don't want to ride on thre big orange train

17 of 19 recruits for the 2021 class are from out of state. The 2 commits in-state boys are ranked #15 and #21 within TN.

Not sure why this post is getting so many negative replies. Its a legit question, and OP is just wondering if there is any cause for concern, or what the reason is behind the historically low number of TN recruits. Nowhere does the OP complain or say the sky is falling. People can't even ask a question without others losing their sh!t these days.

Anywho... I don't think this is a concern, unless there is some problem with the instate relationships and we're missing on TN kids that we are actively recruiting. Honestly, I think it's actually refreshing that TN is recruiting nationally at a higher percentage, especially when TN football talent isn't typically on par with other states.

Not sure why this post is getting so many negative replies. Its a legit question, and OP is just wondering if there is any cause for concern, or what the reason is behind the historically low number of TN recruits. Nowhere does the OP complain or say the sky is falling. People can't even ask a question without others losing their sh!t these days.

Anywho... I don't think this is a concern, unless there is some problem with the instate relationships and we're missing on TN kids that we are actively recruiting. Honestly, I think it's actually refreshing that TN is recruiting nationally at a higher percentage, especially when TN football talent isn't typically on par with other states.

Thank you.

I'm excited as everyone else to see Pruitt and company absolutely crushing it. They are recruiting on a level to eventually compete for an SEC and NC title, and it wasn't my intent to come off as being negative.

I do think the question raised is valid, and I don't buy the arguments that the '21 class is weak in TN. So what?

I'll throw out my own theory:

(1) Some of the in-state guys just weren't a match for the type of players Pruitt prioritizes - very tall and fast DBs, OL guys on the heavier end of the spectrum, non prima donna personalities, etc.

(2) For reasons that are unclear, quite a few of the in-state guys with UT offers simply haven't signed yet, but will, including:

#7 Quenton Barnes
#8 Javon Nelson
#9 William Griffin
#10 Dietrich Pennington

(3) For other reasons and #1 above, it would appear we will not get the #1 through #6 top-ranked players (per Rivals), including Hudson Wolfe.

I recognize there are a huge number of variables that go into recruiting, but considering UT's success to date with this class, it raises the question why.

Y’all are just a bunch of crazy conservatives thinking this staff should be focusing on the very best at each position. Someone needs to file a complaint with ACLU and demand a quota system for college recruiting to level the playing field.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019

This is what your concerned with? Who cares where the kids are from. We have suffered long enough. Do you think Alabama fans nit pick at where Saban gets his kids from? As long as you win, that's what matters.

Literally every thread you're starting or posting in is ridiculous

tenor.gif

It ain't over, the question. What position of need vs. Tn players?

I have never in my life read such silliness. We have the top ranked class in the SEC and you are worried because it doesn't have more from Tennessee!!!! It is either the star children or the miserable minority constantly worrying and complaining about everything. Can you people not just be happy with good news without feeling the need to create something to stress out about. Hmmm....well.....creating panic by creating news......seems somehow appropriate these days.

Dang man. He just asked if it was a concern.

Even after a losing gameday, I've never seen so many posts TOTALLY MISSING (and pi**ing on) the point of the OP!

What's the first thing a new coach does? "Build a wall" around the state. The OP's question isn't about having x-number of players from in-state. The question is, are we losing influence in-state?

The reasons for this year might be good, they might be bad--but the question is legitimate! What is the REASON for us not getting any commitments from among the #s 1-14 in Tennessee? In any other recruiting season, posters would be demanding to know why the top players in TN might be not-Knoxville bound. Is this year an anomaly? Is this the start of a trend for Tennessee?

- Do none of the top in-state players measure up to what we've recruited from out of state?
That would be a positive reason.
- Are none of the top players in TN at positions of need for the Vols?
- Are other schools building successful relationships with our high schools?
That would be a negative reason.
- Do none of the top 14 players in TN fit the football culture, or academic demands of the Vols program?
That would be a concerning reason.

When all is said and done, the numbers may change. But honestly: when is the last time TN didn't have a commitment from any of the top 10 in-state players? If those numbers are accurate, it would be a legitimate question for fans to ask in any recruiting year.

Last edited:
Even after a losing gameday, I've never seen so many posts TOTALLY MISSING (and pi**ing on) the point of the OP!

What's the first thing a new coach does? "Build a wall" around the state. The OP's question isn't about having x-number of players from in-state. The question is, are we losing influence in-state?

The reasons for this year might be good, they might be bad--but the question is legitimate! What is the REASON for us not getting any commitments from among the #s 1-14 in Tennessee? In any other recruiting season, posters would be demanding to know why the top players in TN might be not-Knoxville bound. Is this year an anomaly? Is this the start of a trend for Tennessee?

- Do none of the top in-state players measure up to what we've recruited from out of state?
- Are none of the top players in TN at positions of need for the Vols?
- Are other schools building successful relationships with our high schools?
That would be a negative reason.
- Do none of the top 14 players in TN fit the football culture, or academic demands of the Vols program?
That would be a concerning reason.

When all is said and done, the numbers may change. But honestly: when is the last time TN didn't have a commitment from any of the top 10 in-state players? If those numbers are accurate, it would be a legitimate question for fans to ask in any recruiting year.
Considering we landed 3 of the top 4 just a year ago and 5 of the top 8 it’s way too early to think somehow we’ve suddenly lost track of the state while we’re recruiting so well. It’s more a matter of having more talent outside the state this year and pursuing that instead.

Reactions: 08Vol
No.

Only a couple of guys still left In-State worth going after comprehensive to what we are getting commitments from and still targeting out-of-state.

Tray Curry imo is more physically talented than any other WR we have committed right now. Nixon, Merril, and Roc Taylor are all good looking WRs too, but Curry could be special with great coaching.

A couple of big uglies left In-State too. But that's it

Get your brain out of this mindset. We should no longer pray for projects to work out because they seldom do. In the recent past we have had to settle for these kind of long shots, with the players CJP is getting to commit right now, why spend a spot of a project? Instead recruit the player WHO IS SPECIAL and with great coaching will be a top draft pick at his position.

This is a down year for instate kids, Colson, Wolf and Pennington seem to be the only ones we still want and Colson is looking like he is expendable. I do think if we miss with our last couple of spot then Griffin and Kollie could be fall back options.

Last edited:
Reactions: BruisedOrange
Dang man. He just asked if it was a concern.
You cant talk realistic to these guys on here... they think we gonna finish # 1 or 2 in recruiting .. you cant say anything about a guys film or point out any negatives .. they all thing we will have all Americans at every position .. so yea you cant offer up any kind of question or you get criticized.. just let them dream ..

This is actually perfect and not a worry at all. We will always land in state guys.... the fact that we are going outside the state is huge.... come on dude

YES, YES, YES!!! But be careful, I has taken to task pretty heavily a few days ago when I complained about St. of Tn coverage on this site and the lack of Tennessee info on instate palyers, let alone instate commits. Most said go get the "best" forget instate just because they are instate. I agree with this but surely there are a few instaters just as good or maybe better than some out of staters we offer and take. I feel a lot of this problem stems from less "advertising" about many rural guys in state. I notice mid tn is beginning to receive better "exposure" for their players and programs. As good and maybe better than east Tn.

Reactions: vettefool
Hard to complain about the class but I do hope Pruitt is able to get the top kids from Tennessee wanting to go to Tennessee in the future . Right now he and a lot of his coaches have better relationships with programs in Georgia, Alabama and Florida. I hope he is building those relationships in Tennessee because I do like seeing local kids wearing orange.
Hu ray!!!
This has been a problem most of my life. UT staffs have never had really strong relationships west of Nashville as I have thought and been led to believe. At one time in the recent past, some programs with strong ties and no other I could hear about even knew who to talk to at UT or were ever contacted by UT as to their relationship or lack there of.

I suppose it would be a problem if we were having to go out of state because we couldn't recruit in state. anymore But actually, I think we're going out of state because the grass is simply greener this year. The quality of commitments is quite high.

That said, it WOULD be nice to always have an inside track on any 5- and 4-star recruits being produced here. Best of both worlds.

Or at least make noise about them on this site and others ways trying to help the instate programs and kids. Can't hurt to "blow their horns" even if we are down their list of schools. If the staff/school/a. dept would/cold show them some attention even knowing they were not likely to be a Vol, the next kid from that program might look at UT in a different light.

VN Store

Back