2024 Transfer Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
We’re gonna need a player or two who can defend and doesn’t need to start. I think she’d be a good fit where there are a few other players who would likely want a bigger role than we will need for them.

Our bench needs to get deeper on defense for certain. We were deep last season at all, but the bench did bring some good offensive production at times. Mostly our bench was a huge liability defensively though. We need players who can come in and help us maintain a lead and prevent our opponent from going on big runs.
Interesting comment from a DII coach about Coach Lazo and defense. Excited!

It seems King is a real possibility. She would be a 5th yr senior. Would we take two 5th yr seniors and fill in the rest with underclassmen? That would leave us with 6 coming back plus Edie in year 2.
We need to start recruiting the best high schools players again. I don’t object to filling a hole or two from the portal, but we can no longer ignore the young stars and keep them for 3-4 years.

Maria needs to move on. Nobody cares that she was recruited by the previous staff. She’s trying to give them credit for something they don’t deserve.

Making it out like if she choose Tennessee it’s because of the previous staff. Who were fired because THEY COULD NOT RECRUIT.
Speaking of moving on….😜

Funny how this is the stance when it relates to Coach Caldwell, why can't the previous staff get credit for laying the foundation and the new staff get credit for sealing the deal. Kellie can't take credit for the 4 consecutive 1st round picks because 3 were recruited by Hollie and one was ready made according to some by Vic, but Coach Caldwell can take credit for Jewell deciding to stay as well as others, and if she lands any of the players Coach Sam and Kellie have already built relationships with.

Both Kellie and Kim can get credit should any recruit previously recruited under the old regime decide to come here.

MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!

By your definition…. Holly gets credit for Horston going into the WNBA ? And the debacle of Rae Burrell was Hollie’s doing that her coaching her got her to the WNBA? And Holly recruited Rennia and taught her all she needed to know in three years to make her a pro also ? But Kellie gets zero credit for coaching Rennia or Rae , and convincing all three players to remain at Tennessee when they all three could have left !!!! And getting Jackson out of the portal and convincing her to stay an extra year counts for nothing… 🤔

But coach Kim can get credit for Spears if she makes it to the W….

Amazing ….. simply amazing I think a better word might be unbelievable !🤷‍♂️

Sorry … I thought you really believed that crap! My bad

We need to start recruiting the best high schools players again. I don’t object to filling a hole or two from the portal, but we can no longer ignore the young stars and keep them for 3-4 years.
Yeah, the 25 and 26 recruiting classes will both need to be bigger just to balance the roster out. We’ll probably need major portal additions this year and next to get us where we need to be until those classes get here.

It seems King is a real possibility. She would be a 5th yr senior. Would we take two 5th yr seniors and fill in the rest with underclassmen? That would leave us with 6 coming back plus Edie in year 2.
I think Wells technically still has 2 years of eligibility if she wants them, since she was able to redshirt this past season. Or at least I’m guessing that is who might be missing from your calculation! (Wells plus Cooper, Boyd, Strickland, E. Darby, and three underclassmen transfers).

Sure sure, ok we’ve heard that a million times now.

We really only landed one really good player from the portal and that was Rickea Jackson.

Jewel still has a lot to prove, but I think coaching was her issue last season because she looked much better under different coaches in the ACC.

Alexus Dye was the only other player who was serviceable.

Jasmine Powell, Jasmine Franklin, Keyen Green never really made a huge impact.

Wells did not play enough to know what she can do at this level but the games she did play under Harper were not great. She’s a player who averaged almost 20 and 5 assists at Belmont. She was averaging 6 and 2 when she went out under Harper.
You are losing credibility by intentionally leaving out important facts.
You know as well as I do that Wells had not acclimated yet when she was injured AND her Belmont numbers were against a different level of competition.
Green was undersized and played basically on one leg. A huge heart! I would want her on any Lady Vol team.
JP was much better her second year here (coaching?!?) and was a steady performer for us.
Franklin, I don’t want to say the wrong thing but I believe there was an injury there as well?
You do not make CKC look better by denigrating Kellie and especially by leaving out important details about some really wonderful LVFLs.

I think Wells technically still has 2 years of eligibility if she wants them, since she was able to redshirt this past season. Or at least I’m guessing that is who might be missing from your calculation! (Wells plus Cooper, Boyd, Strickland, E. Darby, and three underclassmen transfers).
Speaking of Wells, I've noticed I never see her in anything Lady Vol related that gets posted. Anywhere. Ever.

Am I crazy?

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Could be a number of reasons, one could be she’s not good at evaluating talent at this level and she thinks mid major talent can get it done, that was the issue with our last regime. Or she just didn’t want to tell players to go that just transferred and or are seniors, that might not be a good look.
Or she thinks they are P5 talent and will be great players in her system. So do you think you can evaluate talent better than our new coach?

Tennessee does not need Kiki anymore than Kiki might have interest in UT. I do not understand why people get stuck on certain players. A player with talent that wants to be in UT will have a chance to be one of the best in the country.
Look for players in the portal that want to be at UT. Tennessee has dominated the portal this is nothing new. With the addition of proven SEC recruiters and the most skilled young coach in WBB today this program has just solidified its place as one of two iconic programs in the country.
They in fact have not dominated the portal. If so them LSU wouldn’t have won it all last season. We picked 2 legitimate top players and one to be determined. That isn’t dominating the portal.

Love seeing the announcements of the upcoming visits list. The versatility. The athleticism.

Lazaria Spearman coming out of HS is what SEC fans project Sa’myah Smith to become in college that has yet to be seen.

Spearman was the #30 ranked player in the 2022 class. Smith was the #58 ranked player in the 2022 class. Spearman might benefit from a coach of scenery and an iconic program like UT. The great thing is she is not similar to Jillian Hollingshead in her playing style. They could compliment each other. I’m not sure we know yet who UT will use its available scholarships on but they will be active.

Remember that dating back to Alexus Dye, to Rickea Jackson, to Jewel Spear the Lady Vols have dominated the portal! GBO🍊!

Last edited:
You are losing credibility by intentionally leaving out important facts.
You know as well as I do that Wells had not acclimated yet when she was injured AND her Belmont numbers were against a different level of competition.
Green was undersized and played basically on one leg. A huge heart! I would want her on any Lady Vol team.
JP was much better her second year here (coaching?!?) and was a steady performer for us.
Franklin, I don’t want to say the wrong thing but I believe there was an injury there as well?
You do not make CKC look better by denigrating Kellie and especially by leaving out important details about some really wonderful LVFLs.

So why did we recruit players who were undersized or would need significant time to develop at a P5 level?

Especially if we were scheduling the #1 sos almost every year. I’m sorry, but I can’t make it make sense.

You’re gonna have to separate Kellie’s LVFL legacy from her coaching stint. Because they are not the same.

Reactions: Ovol
My intention is not to pile on, but I will defend the new staff from posters who continually post subtle shade or subtly indicate that Harper should not have been terminated.
Uh huh. So noble of you white knight!!

Some have questioned going with CKC because of her lack of D1 experience. A few have said that they could understand if Kellie had been given one more year but I have not seen any critical mass of posters who are saying that her firing was unwarranted. Maybe there has been a random poster here and there who said something like that but that is a real outlier opinion.

The new staff does not need defending either. The are on a great role and getting tons of positive reaction and optimistic assessments.

So, it really sounds like you indeed just want "to pile on" and keep grinding your anti-Kellie ax.

You are certainly free to do so but at least be honest about it...

Last edited:
Looks like were going to have portal 365 days a year real soon.

NCAA News
@NCAA_PR

Council changes transfer rules, permits immediate eligibility for transfers who are academically eligible/in good standing at prev. school & meet progress-toward-degree requirements at new school. Decision not final until meeting ends Thurs, must be ratified by DI Board Monday.

Seriously, when is the last time anyone saw Destinee Wells in any of the videos or photos or Instas or Facebook items posted by the Lady Vols? Is she just super camera shy?

Looks like were going to have portal 365 days a year real soon.

NCAA News
@NCAA_PR

Council changes transfer rules, permits immediate eligibility for transfers who are academically eligible/in good standing at prev. school & meet progress-toward-degree requirements at new school. Decision not final until meeting jends Thurs, must be ratified by DI Board Monday.
Just what everyone needs. More instability and chaos! I want players to be able to transfer during games. What a great half time adjustment. They just recruited the other teams top scorer to their side!

Or she thinks they are P5 talent and will be great players in her system. So do you think you can evaluate talent better than our new coach?
I don’t know yet, but I was able to do it better than the last one. But nobody is perfect when it comes to picking, I just look for certain attributes in players.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back