2024 Transfer Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
You think so? I’m not at all convinced there. Even if we made the Sweet 16 I think too much happened during the season. Just truly seemed like White was going a different direction no matter what.
I don’t believe they were going to move on with a Sweet 16, but there would have been a ton of pressure on her next year.

You think so? I’m not at all convinced there. Even if we made the Sweet 16 I think too much happened during the season. Just truly seemed like White was going a different direction no matter what.
IMO DW would have still wanted to, but wouldn't have been able to fire her if we had beat SC. 20 or so wins again, another S16 and a win (plus 2 close losses) over the otherwise undefeated national champs would have made it optically impossible for him. The outcry from the coaching community would have been huge, justifibly so. Would have made it hard to get anyone to take the job.

OTOH, the real 1.1, not the one we wishcast, was probably the end for KJH. Espec wo a miracle deep tourney run.

What? Did I miss some while I slept? Are Nye and Spearman official? I thought Latham was the only official so far.

Any confirmed visits this week?
Nye hasn’t visited here or anywhere else. Everyone assumes she’s following the Assistant Coach here because she has the no contact designation in the portal, but there’s been nothing concrete on that.

Nye hasn’t visited here or anywhere else. Everyone assumes she’s following the Assistant Coach here because she has the no contact designation in the portal, but there’s been nothing concrete on that.

No activity with her around other programs at all and Skim Milkey made their post shortly after she entered the portal. At this point it would be shocking if she went somewhere else.

Never know, I’m sure the likes of Brenda Frese has contacted her regardless of designation lol.

Thanks, that's what I thought. IMO we really, really need Nye. Athletic is fine, but athletic that can also shoot 3s is exactly what we need. Hope we hear confirmation on her in the next few days.

Also hoping to hear something fm Spearman soon, was hoping she'd commit immediately after the visit. Right behind athletics that can shoot, IMO our biggest need is a promising young post.

Donovyn Hunter is probably the best PG in the portal imo. Incredibly mature as a freshman last season. She was a huge reason for Oregon State’s return to some success last year.

She is a really heady guard with great court vision, poise and patience. 7 points 3.6 assists and 1.5 tos as a true freshman. Great PG numbers to build on…

Probably would have. A win over South Carolina would’ve pushed you up to a five seed, likely setting up a meeting with Virginia Tech, who was without their best player and did not advance out of the second round. Another Sweet 16 would’ve certainly gotten her another year.
I don't think it was the loss to Carolina as much as it was how they lost. I think White thought if you can't defend that play with the number of years of experience Kellie had, you aren't the coach to lead the Lady Vols. Pure incompetence. I'm not a Kellie hater or lover but that one play made me seriously doubt her coaching abilities of leading a program like the Lady Vols.

I don't think it was the loss to Carolina as much as it was how they lost. I think White thought if you can't defend that play with the number of years of experience Kellie had, you aren't the coach to lead the Lady Vols. Pure incompetence. I'm not a Kellie hater or lover but that one play made me seriously doubt her coaching abilities of leading a program like the Lady Vols.

And I still see that video pretty much everytime I open X or Instagram. It was such a bad look for the program.

And I still see that video pretty much everytime I open X or Instagram. It was such a bad look for the program.
Me too and I’m so sick of it! Lol Literally everyone in the comments always talk about the defense on that play! It’s also full of “the coach should be fired for that” comments! 😩😂 little do they know!

I honestly don’t know what the hell Kellie was thinking. I was already on the fence about her this whole season but that really took the cake for me! 😂

For sure, the optics of that last play was the killing blow. Sealed the image of just can't get it done. There was no coming back from that.

Reactions: dazzleme
Just going by the Skim Milkey site which says we have three commits. That site is almost always right on commits so hopefully three is correct regardless of if one is Nye.

Transfers Coach Lazo has made social media contact with in the last week.

Kaitlyn Chen
Donovyn Hunter
Mir McClean
Shy Day-Wilson

Chen really wants to go to UConn but I don’t think they have a spot or a need for her.

Come to the dark (bright orange) side my friend….
I really like Hunter big point guard lot of potential. I like her better than the others we've been associate with thus far.

Me too and I’m so sick of it! Lol Literally everyone in the comments always talk about the defense on that play! It’s also full of “the coach should be fired for that” comments! 😩😂 little do they know!

I honestly don’t know what the hell Kellie was thinking. I was already on the fence about her this whole season but that really took the cake for me! 😂
If you go back and look at the sidelines on that play, it was too many leaders and not enough followers. Everybody was barking orders of what to do even players on the sideline that the play was doomed to begin with. Watch how Kea was initially up and told to move back, Joy was suggesting things at Kellie, players were yelling at their teammates to be here and there, it was a mess.

Definitely was a coaching issue, but if the Refs make the correct calls on Fulwiley prior to that, that play never happens and unfortunately there were several critical plays like that were her faults would've likely never happened if the refs made the right call.

But that's water under the bridge now. It is what it is. Wishing her well on her next journey and hoping Coach Caldwell truly is up for the task, because UT isn't Marshall or Glennville State, she won't get as long of a rope here with how toxic this fan base can be at times.

LOL I know no one wants to get spun off into over analyzing that horror again. But I thought of something madtowne (I believe) has said for a long time - that Kellie had a stubborness that was going to eventually be her downfall. And so it was. She ran that exact same out of bounds "defense", with Rickea floating useless on an island, for the rest of the season! The fact that Joy came up behind KJH twice clearly saying "the ball" sets that stubborn streak in stone. You have to have confidence in your plays, but also be open to situational common sense.

We were up by 2, I think it’s possible that since the same ref that called a foul on Sara when there was no time on the clock, then right at the end of the game watched the SC double dribble and didn’t call it, I think we were trying to avoid any possible foul by him especially being called, which could tie or win the game. Still, the end was gut wrenching.

Last edited:
Reactions: ReignSupreme
You can look at the play and easily realize we didn't know what to do on defense. Rickea was guarding no one what was her purpose of standing in the middle between the in bounds and Cardoso. Should have been a time out called just by the look of confusion on Rickeas face. Not calling a timeout was a huge coaching error. Three chances to win and we failed two of them and the Refs failed one.

I really like Hunter big point guard lot of potential. I like her better than the others we've been associate with thus far.
Absolutely my new fave. I'm breaking up w Day-Wilson in favor of Hunter. Bigger, much younger w lots of elig left, much better a/t.o., and about equal as a 3 pt shooter at 33%. This would be a much better get than McQueen or D-W.

Playing with Fair limited EVERYONES production 😂. She was in the right spot at Buffalo.

Needed too many shots to get her points at her size in the ACC. If she was a 6 assist per game player it’s a different story but she was definitely a shoot first, shoot second, pass third guard.

Hard for other players to get much going when you have one person taking 20 shots a game at 38%/35% 3pt.

For comparison Clark took 18 per game her first three years and 22 her senior season when they needed her to take more. But she was career 46% from the field and around 38% from 3. Plus 8 assists per game. Not a fair comparison but people on X keep trying to throw their names around together so…

In a system that shares the ball better Latham is going to thrive.
That will be a change for the LadyVols , team ball!

Reactions: VolBall09
Absolutely my new fave. I'm breaking up w Day-Wilson in favor of Hunter. Bigger, much younger w lots of elig left, much better a/t.o., and about equal as a 3 pt shooter at 33%. This would be a much better get than McQueen or D-W.

Hunter is a super player.

If we land her I will be over the moon, she is someone you can truly build around for the future. A kid other elite players will want to have as their PG without a doubt.

Chen as well? If you could bring her and Hunter in together for one season that would be the best PG duo in the country. Bar none.

Reactions: HeadVol77 and glv98
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back