2024 Transfer Portal Thread

That’s not the problem. We have a good NIL. We just didn’t anticipate this. A few programs have put together offers for top players at several programs. The size of these offers is of a different scale than we are used to.
Can we just make the same large scale offers for their players and go scorched earth

Jk but kinda not

How do you see eligibility playing out? Has that been discussed?

I assume the 4 years to play stuff will eventually go out the window and guys will be able to play forever.
I don’t know. I think the NCAA (or conferences) will hold on to the notion that it is a “college” sport as long as they can. Guessing, but I assume college-length eligibility is here for awhile. You may be right that it will be tossed out eventually, but the illusion of college sports seems to be something they want to protect.

Reactions: knoxvol52
Maybe it’s just me but I think it would be kind of disrespectful to Barnes if Aidoo and Mashack ended up leaving while a decision was supposed to be made yesterday.

That really puts Barnes in a bad spot.

Just my opinion.
Could have told Barnes yesterday and just taken time to portal?

This just blows. We have had to deal with transfer portal departures before, but nothing like the scale of this. It completely numbs my excitement for next season. All of the players we have grown to love and enjoy watching looking for greener pastries rather than graduating a Volunteer is depressing.

I never had any illusion that we wouldn’t see some solid turnover from year to year in the portal era, but an almost literal complete roster remake the off-season directly after making an E8 and winning the SEC is not something I saw coming.
And when all fans reach this level of indifference… the sport takes a huge value hit.

Curious to see where this all goes within the next 5 years.

Reactions: walkenvol
And maybe we bring in more than just 2 guys? I’ll take the wager that we don’t field a Top 20 team next year to anyone who wants the action, this is a regularly scheduled VN freak out.
Agree. I think Carr Estrella and Phillips all shown real promise last year.

My biggest concern is losing the culture on the team. As we lose more tenured folks, it’ll be easier to let that slip. Then, I have concern.

Agree. I think Carr Estrella and Phillips all shown real promise last year.

My biggest concern is losing the culture on the team. As we lose more tenured folks, it’ll be easier to let that slip. Then, I have concern.
Tenured folks leaving makes me question what I thought I knew about the culture of the program

Hey guys, first post here. I’ve been lurking for a little while and love the discussion over here so I finally joined. My thoughts after digging into these guys and watching the films of the 4 guys we seem to be in deepest with. Ranked in order of want for me.

1. Chaz Lanier: Love his game. He’s got a very quick release and some game off the dribble with decent explosion to the rim. I could see him doing really well running the baseline and coming around off the ball screens because he can catch and get his shot off quickly, and love the efficiency. I’d be surprised if he didn’t start, and maybe even be our leading scorer.

2a. Saint Thomas - Just an all around solid player. Good rebounder, good passer, solid game off the dribble for a player his size. Scores at all 3 levels. Nice high quick release on his shot, although not overly efficient. Average athlete and not sure how strong he is, but he could likely carve out a solid role imo. Maybe a starter, maybe a 6th or 7th man imo.

2b. Cade Tyson: As an off the ball shooter I would much prefer him over Dubar. Below average athlete, but has high decently quick release and a little bit of ability to score off the dribble. I could see him being a solid contributor with his ability to come off off ball screens and hit shots. Most likely a solid role player off the bench imo.

3. Dubar: I’m surprised we are bringing him in on an OV. He is very efficient I’ll give him that. But he has a very slow release on his shot, and I don’t see much athleticism or explosion to the rim. Most of his points down low appear to be from using his body. Not sure how replicable that is for a guy his size in the SEC. Also, most of his points from the outside come from spot up 3’s. Seems like he feasted on shorter guards sloughing off too much. SEC scouting won’t allow for that. Defenders will be crowding him and if he can’t make plays off the dribble (see image below), and he has a hard time getting his shot off due to a slow release then what will he really add to the team? His rebounding numbers are average for a guy his size at that level. Maybe he’s an elite defender? I’m not sure what it is that the staff sees in him on the tape to make him such an early priority.

818E652A-C211-43DC-AC1D-26B820B329E1.jpeg

Last edited:
Hey guys, first post here. I’ve been lurking for a little while and love the discussion over here so I finally joined. My thoughts after digging into these guys and watching the films of the 4 guys we seem to be in deepest with. Ranked in order of want for me.

1. Chaz Lanier: Love his game. He’s got a very quick release and some game off the dribble with decent explosion to the rim. I could see him doing really well running the baseline and coming around off the ball screens because he can catch and get his shot off quickly, and love the efficiency. I’d be surprised if he didn’t start, and maybe even be our leading scorer.

2a. Saint Thomas - Just an all around solid player. Good rebounder, good passer, solid game off the dribble for a player his size. Scores at all 3 levels. Nice high quick release on his shot, although not overly efficient. Average athlete and not sure how strong he is, but he could likely carve out a solid role imo. Maybe a starter, maybe a 6th or 7th man imo.

2b. Cade Tyson: As an off the ball shooter I would much prefer him over Dubar. Below average athlete, but has quick release and a little bit of ability to score off the dribble. I could see him being a solid contributor with his ability to come off off ball screens and hit shots. Most likely a solid role player off the bench imo.

3. Dubar: I’m surprised we are bringing him in on an OV. He is very efficient I’ll give him that. But he has a very slow release on his shot, and I don’t see much athleticism or explosion to the rim. Most of his points down low appear to be from using his body. Not sure how replicable that is for a guy his size in the SEC. Also, most of his points from the outside come from spot of 3’s. Seems like he feasted on shorter guards sloughing off too much. SEC scouting won’t allow for that. Defenders will be crowding him and if he can’t make plays off the dribble (see image below), and he has a hard time getting his shot off due to a slow release then what will he really add to the team? His rebounding numbers are average for a guy his size at that level. Maybe he’s an elite defender? Not sure what it is we see in him on the tape.

View attachment 633514
IMG_0026.jpeg

2b. Cade Tyson: As an off the ball shooter I would much prefer him over Dubar. Below average athlete, but has high decently quick release and a little bit of ability to score off the dribble. I could see him being a solid contributor with his ability to come off off ball screens and hit shots. Most likely a solid role player off the bench imo.

3. Dubar: I’m surprised we are bringing him in on an OV. He is very efficient I’ll give him that. But he has a very slow release on his shot, and I don’t see much athleticism or explosion to the rim. Most of his points down low appear to be from using his body. Not sure how replicable that is for a guy his size in the SEC. Also, most of his points from the outside come from spot of 3’s. Seems like he feasted on shorter guards sloughing off too much. SEC scouting won’t allow for that. Defenders will be crowding him and if he can’t make plays off the dribble (see image below), and he has a hard time getting his shot off due to a slow release then what will he really add to the team? His rebounding numbers are average for a guy his size at that level. Maybe he’s an elite defender? Not sure what it is we see in him on the tape.

View attachment 633514
I agree but he also showed he can play off ball. Shot at a super high clip from the corners and in spot up. Was an efficient shooter for what it’s worth. Has the length and athleticism to make plays at the basket and that video also said he had a a high block % so if he can provide cutting, spot up shooting and defense I’m fine with it. I do agree he’s not some superstar tho and will have to clean that shot up

At this point, why? I was thinking about this a little bit more today, and it is starting to feel like it’s pointless. If you take a high school player that needs some development, feels likely we either ask them to leave a year from now if they aren’t progressing, or if they do progress well but don’t get big minutes as a freshmen/sophomore, they’ll transfer.

Maybe just pure transfer portal refresh is the only way to go annually at this point
Almost better to go after project freshmen rather than recruit high schoolers because they can only transfer once

View attachment 633514
Can think of a few games from this past season when having someone who could make open spot up 3’s would have been tremendously helpful

Reactions: NighthawkVol
Dalton Knecht was on campus for 9 months - he’s now the most celebrated hooper at UT in 20 years. You’ll be okay.
The guy who carried the team on his back this season and became a consensus first team all American was a rando that was here for a few months.
I’m not sure why yall are offended on behalf of… college athletics as a whole? It’s not unusual to value something everybody valued two years ago and not be thrilled that it’s been completely trashed. Watching Knecht was fun but I’m always gonna have a bigger connection to guys like Grant and Admiral and Zakai. I never claimed we wouldn’t get successful players here through the transfer portal, of course we will. That’s immaterial to my point, which is that a substantial part of the enjoyment of college sports is watching young athletes who go to your school develop into great players and form a bond with the fan base over several years. And it’s sad that that’s pretty much done outside of rare instances.

VN Store

Back