2024 Transfer Portal Thread

Seems that Barnes will have to change the way he coaches. I find it hard to believe that 6 or 7 new guys would accept/be able to play D like he requires. This has been going around, and we might be about to get a big taste of it. I think all this will get worse before it gets better.
That's not even close to reality.

Is football just decimating our NIL budget in every other sport? I don't understand how we could be so far behind being able to match offers with some of these guys especially considering the success in basketball/baseball vs football.

I know money runs the show here but damn.
Are you a member? Or just a complainer? Sowing dissension in a moment of emotional upset is irresponsible.
That’s not the problem. We have a good NIL. We just didn’t anticipate this. A few programs have put together offers for top players at several programs. The size of these offers is of a different scale than we are used to.
Thank you. Someone sowing dissension in a moment of upset is irresponsible.

Yup. And I dont like that regardless, but on top of it, I worry we dont have the stature in basketball to be consistently successful with consistent roster turnover like Kentucky mostly managed. So we will likely have less success AND less of a connection with players than before this madness
I think we will still be successful with Barnes around, but that is a short shelf life at his age. It's year by year, I think. But once we flip the page on him, the next hire will be so very key. Someone deeply engaged in the new state of college athletics who will just outwork everyone is the order of the day. Our name will keep us relevant, but short of a workaholic head man, the success will possibly be more sporadic than we're used to.

Reactions: Vol49er
I think we will still be successful with Barnes around, but that is a short shelf life at his age. It's year by year, I think. But once we flip the page on him, the next hire will be so very key. Someone deeply engaged in the new state of college athletics who will just outwork everyone is the order of the day. Our name will keep us relevant, but short of a workaholic head man, the success will possibly be more sporadic than we're used to.

I presume the coaches aren’t heavily involved in the NIL. I don’t know how they could be.

I think now more than ever, the work done by folks in the AD and the collectives, fundraisers etc.. are as important as the coaching staff.

Nameless individuals.

Reactions: cncchris33
We old people are going to have to understand that living and dying with the same players year in and year out is a thing of the past. Someone earlier mentioned getting a portal player to buy in that learning how to play good defense would help him at the next level, just like what Dalton did this season. Maybe if you sell that coming here and learning defense will help you do better at the next level, then you won't have to ever be in a rebuild again possibly. It would be different than what happened with Kentucky because you're getting players that have college experience already, and you can kind of cherry pick which players out of the top portal players you bring in.

I honestly can’t think of a single player in the portal that if we landed would be a “blow your mind” moment. That seems a touch dramatic by Basilio.

Only player I think would even possibly qualify, as someone else suggested, is Bronny James and that would only be a “blow your mind” moment because he didn’t look that great this year and the inevitable circus that would come with him is not something I see Barnes wanting.
I think his skill set would be perfect for Barnes system, but I’d rather go grab a bucket getter to go next to zakai.

I presume the coaches aren’t heavily involved in the NIL. I don’t know how they could be.

I think now more than ever, the work done by folks in the AD and the collectives, fundraisers etc.. are as important as the coaching staff.

Nameless individuals.
I’m not the first one to suggest this, but I think it’s likely that we’ll move to a model where players will commit to NIL contracts with standard contract terms that include duration, incentives, penalties, and buyouts. Currently the contracts are fairly primitive compared to other endorsement deals for professional athletes. There is some caution around antitrust violations and keeping the universities separate from NIL, but most agents, coaches etc think that the model will shift to ensure more stability. One can imagine the landscape being much more predictable if financial incentives to stay were in place.

I’m not the first one to suggest this, but I think it’s likely that we’ll move to a model where players will commit to NIL contracts that have standard contract terms that include duration, incentives, penalties, and buyouts. Currently the contracts are fairly primitive compared to other endorsement deals for professional athletes. There is some caution around antitrust violations and keeping the universities separate from NIL, but most agents, coaches etc think that the model will shift to ensure more stability. One can imagine the landscape being much more predictable if financial incentives to stay were in place.
This is my hope. You almost have to get to a point where players are signing contracts that bind them, and you can't do that until the schools and collective can at least pretend like they're cooperating together.

I guess it is what it is. Nothing we can do but sit back and see what the roster looks like once the dust settles. Think it’s probably safe to believe that Aidoo is gone, but hopefully Mashack will stay. Maybe Aidoo leaving would entice Awaka to come back.

As others have said, we’re in a day and age where it’s going to be pretty uncommon for a player to stick around at a single school for 4 years. Just have to accept that we are in a day and age of mercenaries and distance ourselves from becoming attached to players.

I think Barnes will put together a competitive squad when it’s all said and done, assuming this experience doesn’t prompt him to call it quits. Just not a fan of this day and age of college athletics (yes, I am aware we benefited from it significantly this season).

Just swam laps for an hour and the whole time I’m wondering how many of our guys will portal while I’m in the pool
When I swam, I’d be thinking so many different possible outcomes for sports while doing my laps man. I would be making full on mock drafts and stuff in my head 😂

I’m not the first one to suggest this, but I think it’s likely that we’ll move to a model where players will commit to NIL contracts with standard contract terms that include duration, incentives, penalties, and buyouts. Currently the contracts are fairly primitive compared to other endorsement deals for professional athletes. There is some caution around antitrust violations and keeping the universities separate from NIL, but most agents, coaches etc think that the model will shift to ensure more stability. One can imagine the landscape being much more predictable if financial incentives to stay were in place.

How do you see eligibility playing out? Has that been discussed?

I assume the 4 years to play stuff will eventually go out the window and guys will be able to play forever.

Man. Say Tennessee makes the elite eight next year with Z and a bunch of randos. It wouldn't mean 1/10th what this year's elite eight meant to me. I mean really, if its 13 guys who spend six months in fort sanders doing online graduate courses, what connection do I have with them? I wish this whole transfer portal thing had happened much later in my life so I could've enjoyed college athletics for longer.
Dalton Knecht was on campus for 9 months - he’s now the most celebrated hooper at UT in 20 years. You’ll be okay.

Man. Say Tennessee makes the elite eight next year with Z and a bunch of randos. It wouldn't mean 1/10th what this year's elite eight meant to me. I mean really, if its 13 guys who spend six months in fort sanders doing online graduate courses, what connection do I have with them? I wish this whole transfer portal thing had happened much later in my life so I could've enjoyed college athletics for longer.

The guy who carried the team on his back this season and became a consensus first team all American was a rando that was here for a few months.

VN Store

Back