2024 Transfer Portal Thread

He’s also far from his home.

He is. Doesn’t seem like homesickness would be a factor as an upperclassman, though. That’s typically something that hits younger players. If there is a family situation going on that we aren’t aware of, though, that could of course be a motivating factor for him to leave.

Glad you said it. I had a post typed out and then decided it wasn't worth it.

Barnes has done very little to prepare the underclassmen this year. Expecting anything at all from them next year is a recipe for disappointment. We had a chance to get them quality minutes in the numerous blowouts we had, and he chose not to do it for whatever reason.

ZZ played a ton his true freshmen season, which is why he has been such a big contributor his entire career. My guess is Barnes will go portal for 3 guys to pair with ZZ, Awaka, Aidoo, Gainey, and Mashack and let the chips fall where they may with the underclassmen.

Barnes has done very little to prepare the underclassmen this year. Expecting anything at all from them next year is a recipe for disappointment. We had a chance to get them quality minutes in the numerous blowouts we had, and he chose not to do it for whatever reason.

ZZ played a ton his true freshmen season, which is why he has been such a big contributor his entire career. My guess is Barnes will go portal for 3 guys to pair with ZZ, Awaka, Aidoo, Gainey, and Mashack and let the chips fall where they may with the underclassmen.
I think we sometimes overrate how much development takes place by playing at the end of a blowout. Development takes place more in the offseason, practices, and individual work. I agree in that I wish Carr had seen more action, but I wouldn’t discount a big jump as a player next year. He looks to have a ton of upside…and could be a 3 level scorer.

From Greeneville, TN

Would he be interested with ZZ coming back? Enough minutes to suit him? One other thing I really like about him is that he was a pretty good WR in HS. His YouTube in football is pretty good. Means he's got a degree of physicality about him.

Again, my opinion. But it is sn informed opinion. He is a scorer.
You're certainly entitled to that opinion. I'm just not sure how informed it is, because while I agree he is a scorer, Barnes has only seen two guys in nine years at Tennessee average 20 per game. So, it just seems like that prediction is the most pie-in-the-sky possibility for a guy currently averaging 4.5 minutes per game. Is it possible? Sure, it just isn't very likely. Agree to disagree. I'd certainly love for you to hit on this one, which we can both agree on.

Reactions: walkenvol
I think we sometimes overrate how much development takes place by playing at the end of a blowout. Development takes place more in the offseason, practices, and individual work. I agree in that I wish Carr had seen more action, but I wouldn’t discount a big jump as a player next year. He looks to have a ton of upside…and could be a 3 level scorer.
I think there is some truth in this post about development taking place in practice over games. Games are more the reward for working hard and improving in practice. But there were certainly opportunities to get guys into games to see how they would react to the bright lights and I think there were some opportunities missed in that regard.

I, too, wouldn't discount a jump in production for Carr, next year, but going from 4.5 minutes to 20+ points seems overly optimistic.

While I agree mostly with this, there is nothing like playing in the game. You can prepare physically during the off season, but not so much the mental part.

Reactions: OldVolMan
I think a point that will need to be driven home all off season is you aren’t getting another Knecht, the chances of getting a 20+PPG guy is just about zero. The goal though is that you look at the 3 you’re losing, it’s 36ppg combined, can you fill those 3 starting spots, whether with current guys or additions who can give you 12-14ppg and together give you what you lost.

Would make sense, there has to be people around those two questioning why SV and JG continue to get more minutes than JM and FD.
Anyone questioning why Dillione isn’t getting more minutes is either bias or hasn’t watched him play this season.

I can see where Mashack could have a complaint, especially if he feels there’s some bias playing a coach’s son over him. Nepotism rules serve a purpose since it removes the possibility for the appearance of bias.

You're certainly entitled to that opinion. I'm just not sure how informed it is, because while I agree he is a scorer, Barnes has only seen two guys in nine years at Tennessee average 20 per game. So, it just seems like that prediction is the most pie-in-the-sky possibility for a guy currently averaging 4.5 minutes per game. Is it possible? Sure, it just isn't very likely. Agree to disagree. I'd certainly love for you to hit on this one, which we can both agree on.

Again, let’s get my prediction correct. I didn’t say average 20ppg all season. Im saying by the second half of conference play, he will will average 20ppg over that stretch of time.

Who else is going to shoot for us? Gainey will have his moments and ZZ will be a streaky shooter but Carr seems to have that scorers mentality. And yes, it’s based on what I’ve been told from practices and how he does in practice from an offensive standpoint.

Again, let’s get my prediction correct. I didn’t say average 20ppg all season. Im saying by the second half of conference play, he will will average 20ppg over that stretch of time.

Who else is going to shoot for us? Gainey will have his moments and ZZ will be a streaky shooter but Carr seems to have that scorers mentality. And yes, it’s based on what I’ve been told from practices and how he does in practice from an offensive standpoint.
I know what you said. It's more a distinction without a difference, though. You're making a prediction without knowing who will even be on the team. I'd venture to guess we see at least 3 additions via the portal, so a lot of your questions remain unanswered.

Shoulda been playing he and Estrella all year
Based on what, exactly? I’m seriously asking, because ai heard the same about This is like the BJ Edwards last season and I don’t think he’s done much at SMU. Phillips and Estrella are going to be good here, I think, but both are developing. We know going in that they were a year away from big minutes. They knew that as well. Both saw time this year in some meaningful games. I’m not digging the guys, but have we seen enough of Cade to make that statement? Again, I like both and look forward to seeing more of them next year in a bigger role, but I’m not sure we can say this about Cade, but I do think maybe Estrella could’ve seen a little more time.

He was saying Mashack didn’t like being forced to play at the 4 there for a bit. And Barnes admitted it was a bad move. That a not getting more minutes.
I get that, but I’d think with Estrella and Phillips being a year older next year, maybe he’d play more at the 3? That’s what I had expected, at least. IDK. Few things would surprise me, concerning the portal.

I get that, but I’d think with Estrella and Phillips being a year older next year, maybe he’d play more at the 3? That’s what I had expected, at least. IDK. Few things would surprise me, concerning the portal.
I guess it’s more of getting soured on the staff after they did that to you, but obviously just speculation.

VN Store

Back