2024 Transfer Portal Thread

Lanier is not worth that. Get somebody else if that’s the case.
Given all of the rumors floating around from the KY homers, especially the false rumor by KSR that Lanier was on KY's campus this week, I'd be surprised if its true that KY is actually offering $1.7mil for Lanier.

I'd imagine there's guys on KY's roster like Kerr Kriisa, Andrew Carr, and Koby Brea who likely haven't been paid that kind of money from an NIL standpoint by KY, but have stats at a P5 program that are of higher value.

North Florida isn't a P5 program, and Lanier's NIL value is largely based off of a breakout season (4.7 PPG to 19.7 PPG) in his 4th year of eligibility.

My honest thought is that he'd be drastically overpaid by KY, which would similarly cause some locker room chemistry issues with other KY transfers who have played at the P5 level against stronger competition.

There's still uncertainty as to whether Lanier's game would translate to SEC, in my opinion so I'd understand if CRB wouldn't want to match what KY might be offering.

Last edited:
Without Lanier team still has top 25 talent. Beyond that will depend on how new additions mesh and if Carr/Estrella take big steps forward. Players in Barnes system take big jumps either sophomore or junior years which would be awesome if Carr is just in the gym all summer. Defensively with ZZ, Mashack, and Felix I would imagine top 10 KP rankings. Offense obviously as is with Barnes most years and especially with this group (without Lanier) would be big question mark.

Hope vols can still lure Lanier but if not gotta rely on in-house talent getting better.

Reactions: ClockworkOrange
He either comes here or he doesn't. If he's priced himself out of what we're willing to pay, that's his loss. My only problem with how Barnes has handled this is we never seem to have a backup plan.

Without Lanier team still has top 25 talent. Beyond that will depend on how new additions mesh and if Carr/Estrella take big steps forward. Players in Barnes system take big jumps either sophomore or junior years which would be awesome if Carr is just in the gym all summer. Defensively with ZZ, Mashack, and Felix I would imagine top 10 KP rankings. Offense obviously as is with Barnes most years and especially with this group (without Lanier) would be big question mark.

Hope vols can still lure Lanier but if not gotta rely on in-house talent getting better.
if we miss on lanier, we aren’t going into next season with 3 open roster spots.

Given all of the rumors floating around from the KY homers, especially the false rumor by KSR that Lanier was on KY's campus this week, I'd be surprised if its true that KY is actually offering $1.7mil for Lanier.

I'd imagine there's guys on KY's roster like Kerr Kriisa, Andrew Carr, and Koby Brea who likely haven't been paid that kind of money from an NIL standpoint by KY, but have stats at a P5 program that are of higher value.

North Florida isn't a P5 program, and Lanier's NIL value is largely based off of a breakout season (4.7 PPG to 19.1 PPG) in his 4th year of eligibility.

My honest thought is that he'd be drastically overpaid by KY, which would similarly cause some locker room chemistry issues with other KY transfers who have played at the P5 level against stronger competition.

There's still uncertainty as to whether Lanier's game would translate to SEC, in my opinion so I'd understand if CRB wouldn't want to match what KY might be offering.
I just don’t buy much of anything being said at the moment. KSR is spewing so many false rumors and so much crap right now, and I think a lot of people are taking it as fact. I don’t buy that Kentucky is going to pay a guy who had one solid season, at a school like UNF, 1,700,000… I just don’t see that happening. If they do then good luck keeping that team chemistry with guys like Kriisa on the team. Pope would be very unwise to spend that much on one guy, which is why I don’t tend to believe that rumor. Now around a mill I can believe. I’m going to wait to hear actual facts. Not rumors like he’s on campus or he’s making such and such money if he comes here. Most of which rumors have proven to be false.

Reactions: Orange.
It comical to read that some really seem to think that Rick Barnes doesn’t have a plan B if Lanier chooses to go to UK. I think he has been around in this business long enough to know what can happen in cases like this.

Just because we don’t know what the plan B is doesn’t mean the staff doesn’t have contingency plans in place. And no- they aren’t obligated to share what those plans are with the inquiring minds of Volnation!

It comical to read that some really seem to think that Rick Barnes doesn’t have a plan B if Lanier chooses to go to UK. I think he has been around in this business long enough to know what can happen in cases like this.

Just because we don’t know what the plan B is doesn’t mean the staff doesn’t have contingency plans in place. And no- they aren’t obligated to share what those plans are with the inquiring minds of Volnation!
No one is questioning whether they can get a body to fill a scholarship. Need a difference maker at the 2 spot and there's not much out there at this point.

Per Trilly, “Source said (UK offered) 1.7 million. Grain of salt, but feels like the right ballpark.” Also says he’s told Barnes is pissed about the way this has played out and turned into a NIL thing over the last week or so.
If true, tell him to enjoy those mouth breathers and move on

No one is questioning whether they can get a body to fill a scholarship. Need a difference maker at the 2 spot and there's not much out there at this point.
Cam Christie, Wooga Poplar, Cedric Coward,
and Miles Kelly are all available still, they all play the 2. (I think they are all still available). Coward and Kelly probably wouldn’t excite some.

You could also see if there’s any CG that could reclassify.

Reactions: oldaaucoach

Not saying they don't have someone in mind but who of the portal dudes can get potentially 12-14 points per game. Most of the talented guys have been signed or we would be way behind at this point. It's not mid April anymore and if Barnes and co miss in Lanier they'll still sign probably 2 more players. I just doubt they would be better than Lanier or take starting spot from Mashack.

Reactions: RyanWalkerPGH
I mean, look at it from his side too. If you have a coach & team that basically say “we have a spot if you want it” then what would you have to lose from getting the NBA evaluation & feedback?

I think the unexpected change here was that Kentucky would be in a situation like they are and be this desperate to add a high rated portal addition.
Kentuckys 2024-25 roster as of today looks very average to me. Several solid role players but nobody that looks like a SEC first or second teamer to me. The center from Oklahoma State looks like there best player but he was only ranked #25 in the transfer ranking list I saw. Pope may be trying to build more long term and he may prove to be a good SEC coach, but at least next year they don't impress. He had to act quickly but comparing who he got at UK vs Caipari at Arkansas, they are not in the same ballpark. Lanier woud help change that narrative a lot which may be why they are willing to potentially overpay.

If you can’t see that just taking the highest bidder in some circumstances isn’t always the best option, then….not sure what else to discuss. Life decisions aren’t always made that way.

We're discussing Tennessee vs Kentucky here. I hate Kentucky too but 99% of recruits would kill for a chance to play there. Kentucky has a better fan base, better facilities (probably?, not 100% on this), and is offering more money. The only difference is an unproven coach and Pope's probably not that bad. I'm not sure how much "more" Kentucky is offering. If the difference is 50k or less, maybe we have a shot. If the difference is like 500k vs 600k though...Lanier will be in blue and I have 0 doubt about that.

Do we know what our offer has been?

Sounds like he’s willing to take UT for less, question is how much less

You're looking at it thru a very myopic lens if that is all you think there is to be considered.

Future earnings effect, state income taxes, job placement and networking, coaching staff experience, team success, roster makeup...those are all things to be considered.

The highest bidder doesn't necessarily correlate to being the best choice, especially for one season.

Yeah for offers in the same neighborhood. If they're offering a lot more...there's no way he's not going there. It is what it is. One season means the $ is more important imo. If he regrets his choice he knows he just has to gut it out for a few months and he'll be gone. Then again, not like players can't transfer again if they're not happy with their first transfer so it still boils down to $ first and foremost.

If he was a lock like people were saying it was, he still could've committed immediately and still went through the NBA process. Not doing that created alot of uncertainty. BTO and SF were trying to make it seem like it was calculated by Chaz & Tennessee to make it seem like there was nothing fishy going on. In reality, it appears Chaz knew he held all the cards and has now leveraged Tennessee & Kentucky.
I can’t recall any instance of saying he’s a lock. He contacted us in December. He talked to us only, shared his intentions about the draft and told us he’d only stay if he were graded high. He wasn’t. We continue to have the best relationship with him, and his mother— and it remains very important that they believe we’ll help his draft stock next year. We couldn’t be in a better spot. That said, Barnes isn’t going to turn the locker room upside down and give this kid a sum that is disproportionate to his value. Lanier is not in Kentucky today. I don’t know if the 1.7mm number is real, but that number is disproportionate to his value. I believe we’ll get the final call and have a chance to make our case. That case will be made by the person they know and trust most. If we don’t get him, I won’t fault anyone on our side. I trust our philosophy and how we handle things. I still think we have the best shot at getting him. I also believe our staff has earned the right to play the hand through before everyone freaks out. This is the same staff that signed DK and the same staff that dug up ZZ and Santi out of oblivion. They have my trust.

Ultimately if you can’t understand that parties act in their interests and circumstances change, you shouldn’t participate in a message board during NIL recruiting.

One of the things I said early, and was doubted on, was that this year the market is crazy. Basketball schools like UNC, Indiana and UK are willing to dump money recklessly now, at the expense of team and culture. We’ll see how that works. I am still confident that we’ll come out of the Summer with a competitive team. I also still think the relationship we built with Lanier means something.

If Lanier doesn’t come here I don’t ever wanna see someone get scolded or being treated as if they are hysterical for being worried about a kid’s recruitment after BTO or SF has said it’s basically in the bag
At the end of the day, nobody knows. Everyone on this board are spectators, not coaches nor part of the admin. There may be one or two so called “insiders,” but most are guessing. But I doubt there are any insiders on the board.

Heck, I could call my son an insider since he hung out with some of the players at a bar (Cool Beans) on the strip. One of the players unloaded about Barnes and a few of the players, including Aidoo. This player hit the portal months ago but “told all” to my son about certain players (per above) and Barnes. He does not like Barnes and paints a different picture than others.

Last edited:
I can’t recall any instance of saying he’s a lock. He contacted us in December. He talked to us only, shared his intentions about the draft and told us he’d only stay if he were graded high. He wasn’t. We continue to have the best relationship with him, and his mother— and it remains very important that they believe we’ll help his draft stock next year. We couldn’t be in a better spot. That said, Barnes isn’t going to turn the locker room upside down and give this kid a sum that is disproportionate to his value. Lanier is not in Kentucky today. I don’t know if the 1.7mm number is real, but that number is disproportionate to his value. I believe we’ll get the final call and have a chance to make our case. That case will be made by the person they know and trust most. If we don’t get him, I won’t fault anyone on our side. I trust our philosophy and how we handle things. I still think we have the best shot at getting him. I also believe our staff has earned the right to play the hand through before everyone freaks out. This is the same staff that signed DK and the same staff that dug up ZZ and Santi out of oblivion. They have my trust.

Ultimately if you can’t understand that parties act in their interests and circumstances change, you shouldn’t participate in a message board during NIL recruiting.

One of the things I said early, and was doubted on, was that this year the market is crazy. Basketball schools like UNC, Indiana and UK are willing to dump money recklessly now, at the expense of team and culture. We’ll see how that works. I am still confident that we’ll come out of the Summer with a competitive team. I also still think the relationship we built with Lanier means something.

I’m curious….who would you go after IF we miss on Chaz. Just genuinely curious.

VN Store

Back