2024 Transfer Portal Thread

I think we land Lanier but Kentucky does scare me. I heard he had a 2.5 hour long call with the Kentucky staff recently. It’s probably just my BVS

Read the last 10 pages of the thread. Both things Basilio said here were stated in the thread. BTO literally said he's 99 percent sure Lanier ends up here but Kentucky may throw out some epic NIL offer. Then Basilio mentions not quite 100 percent but very confident and that a big NIL offer from Kentucky as being a remotely possible reason he doesn't come here.

I posted that someone I trust to know said the staff was all in with Lanier and are confident in him because of what they were told by him that at the end of the process this was an NBA or Tennessee decision and they are still confident in that and aren't recruiting at that position currently due to it.

So Basilio adds a version of that to his post.

If this was isolated I'd not think it, but it happens regularly that things appear here and then he summarizes it in a blog a day or two later.
Except Basilio mentioned Lanier way back in December as someone the staff was working to place in the portal.

There's no mention of Lanier on Basilio's site, podcast search or social media at all before April that I can find.
You won't find it. It was discussed during commercial breaks. If you listen to his show with X Spaces, he shares some content there that doesn't make it on air for whatever reason. Tony hardly says anything on social media, at least X as far as I know.

Reactions: captainfalcon777
Again, I ask if Lanier had his current representation at the time TN was talking to him. I’m getting the feeling he’s letting his agents talk for him. Almost as if when agents try to shop/trade NBA players

Again, I ask if Lanier had his current representation at the time TN was talking to him. I’m getting the feeling he’s letting his agents talk for him. Almost as if when agents try to shop/trade NBA players
Dougie. You’re wrong on the NIL piece. Yes, Kentucky has been “recruiting” where UT has been waiting, but that is only due to the draft. Chaz will want a respectable NIL but he isn’t the type to just go to the highest bidder. He has 1 year left and then he hopes for the NBA. All about who gives him the best chance for that, and we know who that is.

Again, to reiterate, this isn’t just about NIL. Actually not even a top 3-4 factor here. And I’m not guessing.

"develop a kid"

Makes sense. The sport has got crazy and stupid and corrupt. Everybody buying four new players every year, sometimes more. NIL
is to blame. Original concept of NIL was fine, but that's not what we've got. The irony is that no decent player stays at a program long
enough for legit NIL to kick in. Who's going to buy merch for one-and-done's? Maybe a small number of crazy fans---but NIL is now
just a cover to buy players, as we see. And it's making a mockery of high-school recruiting. You go to all the trouble to recruit a kid
and, as Cal says, develop a kid--and he's going to leave after a year, two at most, either because he's not playing enough or because
he can get money elsewhere. The pros don't operate in this idiotic manner.

Honestly, he has a point about the roster size. 8-9 guys that contribute. That’s it.

If you want to fill the last spots, take nothing but instate kids that WANT to be here for all 4 years

I understand the practicality of it, but it seems to run counter to Cal always claiming that he does it all ‘for the kids’

Makes sense. The sport has got crazy and stupid and corrupt. Everybody buying four new players every year, sometimes more. NIL
is to blame. Original concept of NIL was fine, but that's not what we've got. The irony is that no decent player stays at a program long
enough for legit NIL to kick in. Who's going to buy merch for one-and-done's? Maybe a small number of crazy fans---but NIL is now
just a cover to buy players, as we see. And it's making a mockery of high-school recruiting. You go to all the trouble to recruit a kid
and, as Cal says, develop a kid--and he's going to leave after a year, two at most, either because he's not playing enough or because
he can get money elsewhere. The pros don't operate in this idiotic manner.
So is this your shtick? Every week you are on here complaining about NIL

Reactions: MinisterofDef#92
I understand the practicality of it, but it seems to run counter to Cal always claiming that he does it all ‘for the kids’
Not really. It actually supports his claim in that he is sort of guaranteeing those kids that come to them of having playing time, but then the amount of minutes are then earned. Look, I think he is a cheater (before NIL) and he irritates me, but there is absolutely no denying that Cal has definitely walked his talk of putting the kids first throughout his career.

Reactions: berryvol and sami
Dougie. You’re wrong on the NIL piece. Yes, Kentucky has been “recruiting” where UT has been waiting, but that is only due to the draft. Chaz will want a respectable NIL but he isn’t the type to just go to the highest bidder. He has 1 year left and then he hopes for the NBA. All about who gives him the best chance for that, and we know who that is.

Again, to reiterate, this isn’t just about NIL. Actually not even a top 3-4 factor here. And I’m not guessing.
Great news. Assuming we are not the highest bidder, then if it is true that NIL is not even a top 3-4 factor, then I say we know Mr. Lanier is going to be putting up some impressive performance for us next season. If he chooses to go elsewhere, then it won't be because someone supposedly outbid us.

Not really. It actually supports his claim in that he is sort of guaranteeing those kids that come to them of having playing time, but then the amount of minutes are then earned. Look, I think he is a cheater (before NIL) and he irritates me, but there is absolutely no denying that Cal has definitely walked his talk of putting the kids first throughout his career.

That means that Cal's doing it for the kids who are already really talented and are going to be successful regardless, so I'd question the impact. I think CRB's approach would be to use those extra roster spots to give kids a chance and work his butt off to develop them. If it doesn't work out, he'll have an honest conversation with them and find them an appropriate opportunity elsewhere. Many times it has worked out for kids who overachieved. I'm definitely down with the latter approach.

VN Store

Back