2024 Transfer Portal Thread

Personally, I think we would have been behind Bama, Auburn, Kentucky, South Carolina and Florida in the standings without DK and in the same neighborhood with A&M and Miss State for the entire regular season. Still a tournament team but in that 8 to 9 seed range. Now without DK, perhaps Ledlum would have stayed, which would have helped. Ledlum probably got one look at DK and started looking for a new home quickly, when they arrived on campus, especially when JJJ elected to stay one more year.

Never will know on what record would have been, but Knecht has made this season fun and it has been a pleasure to watch him play. Hopefully his development this year will attract other portal transfers who are willing to be coached. His offensive explosions have kept us on the edge of our seats time and time again. Great story for a guy who carries himself with a quiet confidence and swag. Open for debate but he has been among the top 5 UT players I've seen since '75. King by far the best. Others being Ellis, Grunfeld, and Houston.

Without DK this team would be hard to watch depending on other options per se like Ledlum. I looked at Ledlum stats and they are down this year. I think he played for St John's.

Reactions: Volfan1000
I agree, he's our 2nd option now because that's just how it is...I think he can and will be playing the 4 spot next season more. JP is already heavier than Aidoo and plays stronger. I think he just needs floor time more than anything, another year in the S&C though and getting more explosive will be huge for him.
To me the wild card is Cade, he has all the things you want. Explosive and quick with great size and length already. He more than JP and even Aidoo needs to gain some size though but he seems like he might have the higher ceiling of all 4 mentioned...

BUT I would absolutely love us to land another big in the portal. A well seasoned and strong body that's used to playing in the paint. Someone that can help Aidoo get better. I think you'll have a hard time selling us to a 1 year guy though unless they are just a lower school guy that wants to dance in March (like DK did).

Sam Alexis from Chattanooga could be a good option... 6'9" 230lbs with 2 years left was a 11 ppg, 9 rpg, 2 bpg guy for them this season.
Maxime Raynaud from Stanford is a great option... 7'1" 240lbs with at least 1 year left was a 15 ppg, 10 rpg guy for them this season. (12 double-doubles on the year)
Clifford Omoruyi from Rutgers is a good option... 6'11" 240lbs has a year left a career 10 ppg, 8 rpg, 2 bpg guy with 121 games and 104 starts
Brandon Garrison from OK State is a good option... 6'11" 245lbs with 3 years left was a 7 ppg, 5 rpg guy with 32 games and 29 starts, what's really appealing about him is 100% of his shots were 2 PT and he was good for 57.2% FG

But I think more enter after the tournament is over. Not a ton of 7' guys currently available that aren't inexperienced OR slim bodies.
I think Cade has a sneaky pretty good handle for a guy his size as well. If he confident in open court I could see him as a very solid backup at the 4 behind Awaka, who can grab a defensive rebound and immediately start pushing the ball down the court with his head up looking for someone to kick it too.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
Staff has spoken to Michael Ajayi. Very early, but trying to get him to visit.
This guy would be a good addition. Watched some of his clips last week. Combo forward who could play the 4 but also the 3 if we wanted to go big. Would allow flexible lineups. Seems to like mid-range game but can shoot from 3 although not a volume shooter from deep. Aidoo, Awaka and Ajayi in the game at the same time and we could abuse teams on the boards. Our best offense could be throw the ball at the rim and let them go get it. Barnes could help him. I think defense was optional at Pepperdine this year.

I disagree. Aidoo is simply not physical and he's easily moved and against physical posts, he isn't the same player. Awaka is a foul machine. Both those guys are experienced and mature. Just like JJJ, at this point in their careers, I think it's far more likely that they are who and what they are. We'll probably see the same type of player in both those guys next year only a year older. We'll be having the same conversations and concerns I suspect. Estrella is skilled and Phillips may be as well, but both simply aren't that banger down low at least at this point in their development. Better get some dependable physicality down low.
I'm not convinced that Aidoo and Awaka are who they are at this point. Aidoo made great stides this off-season. Give him another, especially weight room. I agree he gets leaned on and he is so long he can't really drive the other player out. GW3 got better his senior year, I think Aidoo can too. Awaka got better too on offense. He needs to focus on physicality without fouling in the off-season.

This guy would be a good addition. Watched some of his clips last week. Combo forward who could play the 4 but also the 3 if we wanted to go big. Would allow flexible lineups. Seems to like mid-range game but can shoot from 3 although not a volume shooter from deep. Aidoo, Awaka and Ajayi in the game at the same time and we could abuse teams on the boards. Our best offense could be throw the ball at the rim and let them go get it. Barnes could help him. I think defense was optional at Pepperdine this year.
I like the idea of an established wing scorer to help ease Carr into his lead scoring role with a bit less pressure.

I'm not convinced that Aidoo and Awaka are who they are at this point. Aidoo made great stides this off-season. Give him another, especially weight room. I agree he gets leaned on and he is so long he can't really drive the other player out. GW3 got better his senior year, I think Aidoo can too. Awaka got better too on offense. He needs to focus on physicality without fouling in the off-season.
Awaka could turn into a baby Tshiebwe next year if he just stops fouling so much and continues to develop his post footwork.

Awaka could turn into a baby Tshiebwe next year if he just stops fouling so much and continues to develop his post footwork.
I've been saying that for two years, now, but as you said, he's got to stay on the floor. The most important ability is availability. I think he also needs to do a better job of understanding team defense concepts.

Not sure about Malik Mack 6'1" 170lbs

The good he was a 17.2 ppg, 4.0 rpg, 4.8 apg player that shot 41% FG

The 3P% being just 34.1% is a bit of a question, especially when you dive into his Game Log over his last 7 games to end the season he failed to shoot 34% in every one. He actually went 7 of 38 for 18.4% from deep.

Gainey is bigger and a known product whose numbers were down against much stiffer competition. Unless Mack is a really good PG candidate for backing up ZZ and then taking over after ZZ graduates I'm not sure why you'd want to bring in another small school streaky shooter...especially one that's smaller than the rest of the roster outside ZZ.

He does have 3 years, so that's a positive and as of right now he's the #1 rated PG in the portal according to on3.

VN Store

Back