2024 Transfer Portal Thread

Idk how well he would do here, but for some reason, I've had this feeling that AJ Storr may transfer. He has more than one year left to play, and he could take over for Knecht.
Watch out, I got flamed last week for sharing I had a feeling about something like this.

Personally, I think we would have been behind Bama, Auburn, Kentucky, South Carolina and Florida in the standings without DK and in the same neighborhood with A&M and Miss State for the entire regular season. Still a tournament team but in that 8 to 9 seed range. Now without DK, perhaps Ledlum would have stayed, which would have helped. Ledlum probably got one look at DK and started looking for a new home quickly, when they arrived on campus, especially when JJJ elected to stay one more year.

Never will know on what record would have been, but Knecht has made this season fun and it has been a pleasure to watch him play. Hopefully his development this year will attract other portal transfers who are willing to be coached. His offensive explosions have kept us on the edge of our seats time and time again. Great story for a guy who carries himself with a quiet confidence and swag. Open for debate but he has been among the top 5 UT players I've seen since '75. King by far the best. Others being Ellis, Grunfeld, and Houston.
We'd have lost a few more games, but we'd still have been a 4-5 seed IMO. If Barnes can teach Awaka not to immediately foul upon entering a game, he could be the closest thing we've had to Grant Williams in a while. He and Aidoo will be a handful next year, along w/ ZZ and Gainey...anticipate going back to inside/out philosophy stronger. Will be weird not having JJJ and Vescovi on the roster...seems they are on the permanent roster.

We should start to see some pretty significant entries here soon with coaches moving around and whatnot.
It's crazy. I'm watching Bama play Grand Canyon...and teams like Oakland. You put an SEC jersey on them and you wouldn't know much difference the way they played. I'm looking at all these players in the tourney and think Barnes will have the luxury his pick of taking high talent, w/ high character, and won't have to settle to fill out the roster.

Personally, I think we would have been behind Bama, Auburn, Kentucky, South Carolina and Florida in the standings without DK and in the same neighborhood with A&M and Miss State for the entire regular season. Still a tournament team but in that 8 to 9 seed range. Now without DK, perhaps Ledlum would have stayed, which would have helped. Ledlum probably got one look at DK and started looking for a new home quickly, when they arrived on campus, especially when JJJ elected to stay one more year.

Never will know on what record would have been, but Knecht has made this season fun and it has been a pleasure to watch him play. Hopefully his development this year will attract other portal transfers who are willing to be coached. His offensive explosions have kept us on the edge of our seats time and time again. Great story for a guy who carries himself with a quiet confidence and swag. Open for debate but he has been among the top 5 UT players I've seen since '75. King by far the best. Others being Ellis, Grunfeld, and Houston.

I am still undecided on how better, same or worse we would be if we had kept Olivier and not taken on Gainey or someone else.

With how Olivier flashed last year in big games, the idea of having 2 man pick and roll game between him and DK seems like it would be fatal for teams

Idk how well he would do here, but for some reason, I've had this feeling that AJ Storr may transfer. He has more than one year left to play, and he could take over for Knecht.
No thanks. He's a volume scorer who only shot 32% from 3 last year.

Why do people think this? It honestly makes no sense to me. We were a 4-seed last year with basically the exact same roster as this year. I don’t see Uros, ORN, and Julian being gone as reason to drop 5 seed lines.

This team is still very talented. And as Chris already said, we have a bunch of talent sitting on the bench that may have played a big role if we needed to give them minutes. I just find this idea that we would have been mediocre without DK dumb.

Hindsight is always 20/20, but before the season started DK wasn’t even ranked as one of the 25 best transfers of the off-season by most major news outlets. Yet we were picked 1st in the conference. We weren’t picked that high because of DK. No one knew he would be this good.
It’s funny how the media narrative on DK has changed to him having been the top prize in the portal that everyone was shooting for.

It's crazy. I'm watching Bama play Grand Canyon...and teams like Oakland. You put an SEC jersey on them and you wouldn't know much difference the way they played. I'm looking at all these players in the tourney and think Barnes will have the luxury his pick of taking high talent, w/ high character, and won't have to settle to fill out the roster.
I'm getting to the point that you get the best PG and physical big with a low post game you can find then fill in the rest with athletes with length like Louisville used to do back in the day. Doesn't matter how many shooters we bring in. By seasons end, they won't be able to spit in the ocean. Just get as much length and athleticism you can and defend the hell outta teams and play inside out like the old days.

I'm getting to the point that you get the best PG and physical big with a low post game you can find then fill in the rest with athletes with length like Louisville used to do back in the day. Doesn't matter how many shooters we bring in. By seasons end, they won't be able to spit in the ocean. Just get as much length and athleticism you can and defend the hell outta teams and play inside out like the old days.
I honestly don't think we need a big in the portal this cycle. Aidoo and Awaka come back and then we have the two freshman on the bench who have both flashed. Think we need a backup guard who can shoot, a Pg, and a tweeter type similar to JJJ.

I honestly don't think we need a big in the portal this cycle. Aidoo and Awaka come back and then we have the two freshman on the bench who have both flashed. Think we need a backup guard who can shoot, a Pg, and a tweeter type similar to JJJ.
If you take the status quo on the transfer portal then your rivals will leave you behind. There will be double double guys with tons of experience out there. Better at least put a net out. We don't need a complete overhaul for the reasons you mentioned but you can't ignore the level of talent that's on the transfer market these days.

Reactions: spyfish007

Yeah, I think you look for a 6'5" or taller wing who can play inside. JJJ, Pons, Admiral type. "perfect build" is a 6'8" 220lbs guy that can score at all three levels but is a really good defender.

I definitely agree. Teams that can defend like UT, or even Grand Canyon makes life very difficult on finesse teams in the tourney. I was amazed at watching GC ferocious D. Having muscle power in the paint definitely resonates...and if you don't, you're not going far in the tourney, unless you've got consistent 3 point shooters... I could be entirely wrong, but think Creighton will struggle if we bring our A game on D, and have at least a modest game shooting the ball.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
If you take the status quo on the transfer portal then your rivals will leave you behind. There will be double double guys with tons of experience out there. Better at least put a net out. We don't need a complete overhaul for the reasons you mentioned but you can't ignore the level of talent that's on the transfer market these days.
But how many of those guys are going to be willing to come here with our situation? We have an All-SEC big already and a guy who is a double double guy per 40 mins.

Reactions: berryvol
I definitely agree. Teams that can defend like UT, or even Grand Canyon makes life very difficult on finesse teams in the tourney. I was amazed at watching GC ferocious D. Having muscle power in the paint definitely resonates...and if you don't, you're not going far in the tourney, unless you've got consistent 3 point shooters... I could be entirely wrong, but think Creighton will struggle if we bring our A game on D, and have at least a modest game shooting the ball.
Based on how they attempted to defend Oregon, we should be able to get a lot going towards the basket. We just have to finish at the rim where we have struggled mightily here recently. Aidoo has to finish better. Knecht has to finish better. ZZ has to finish better. Creighton allowed Couissnard and Dante play a two-man game the entire second half. If they are willing to play that game with Knecht and Aidoo, then we can eat them up. If they change that philosophy to doubling out on Knecht like others have done, then we will have to get better offensive efforts from Gainey/Vescovi/James. As you said, a modest shooting effort from those guys will keep Creighton honest.

I disagree. Aidoo is simply not physical and he's easily moved and against physical posts, he isn't the same player. Awaka is a foul machine. Both those guys are experienced and mature. Just like JJJ, at this point in their careers, I think it's far more likely that they are who and what they are. We'll probably see the same type of player in both those guys next year only a year older. We'll be having the same conversations and concerns I suspect. Estrella is skilled and Phillips may be as well, but both simply aren't that banger down low at least at this point in their development. Better get some dependable physicality down low.

Reactions: vol94 and VolNash17
Based on how they attempted to defend Oregon, we should be able to get a lot going towards the basket. We just have to finish at the rim where we have struggled mightily here recently. Aidoo has to finish better. Knecht has to finish better. ZZ has to finish better. Creighton allowed Couissnard and Dante play a two-man game the entire second half. If they are willing to play that game with Knecht and Aidoo, then we can eat them up. If they change that philosophy to doubling out on Knecht like others have done, then we will have to get better offensive efforts from Gainey/Vescovi/James. As you said, a modest shooting effort from those guys will keep Creighton honest.
Good luck with that. We've been waiting for this most of the season. Sporadic at best.

I disagree. Aidoo is simply not physical and he's easily moved and against physical posts, he isn't the same player. Awaka is a foul machine. Both those guys are experienced and mature. Just like JJJ, at this point in their careers, I think it's far more likely that they are who and what they are. We'll probably see the same type of player in both those guys next year only a year older. We'll be having the same conversations and concerns I suspect. Estrella is skilled and Phillips may be as well, but both simply aren't that banger down low at least at this point in their development. Better get some dependable physicality down low.

Awaka is just a sophomore with less than 800 minutes played. He isn't close to the same level of experience as Aidoo or JJJ (both played more minutes -this- year than Awaka has clocked in his 2 seasons).

I think we'll take a proven big, but we're not pushing all the chips in to get them. DK for sure could have gotten more NIL somewhere else, Aidoo as well could have left for more NIL, but they wanted to play here and get developed.

Awaka is a monster that the SEC just hasn't fully gotten exposed to yet partly his fault (2nd on the team in fouls despite being 8th in minutes) and partly because JJJ returned and is playing the 4 spot. But when/if Awaka can clock 20+ he's going to be a double-double machine...if we're lucky it'll happen the next 2 years.

Reactions: berryvol
Awaka is just a sophomore with less than 800 minutes played. He isn't close to the same level of experience as Aidoo or JJJ (both played more minutes -this- year than Awaka has clocked in his 2 seasons).

I think we'll take a proven big, but we're not pushing all the chips in to get them. DK for sure could have gotten more NIL somewhere else, Aidoo as well could have left for more NIL, but they wanted to play here and get developed.

Awaka is a monster that the SEC just hasn't fully gotten exposed to yet partly his fault (2nd on the team in fouls despite being 8th in minutes) and partly because JJJ returned and is playing the 4 spot. But when/if Awaka can clock 20+ he's going to be a double-double machine...if we're lucky it'll happen the next 2 years.
Points well taken, but if it happens with Awaka, I see him as a power forward type. To ask him to belly up against a 7 footer is....pun intended...a tall order. Can Estrella bulk up enough or is he the typical finesse post that we so much of in todays game?

Reactions: spyfish007
Points well taken, but if it happens with Awaka, I see him as a power forward type. To ask him to belly up against a 7 footer is....pun intended...a tall order. Can Estrella bulk up enough or is he the typical finesse post that we so much of in todays game?

I agree, he's our 2nd option now because that's just how it is...I think he can and will be playing the 4 spot next season more. JP is already heavier than Aidoo and plays stronger. I think he just needs floor time more than anything, another year in the S&C though and getting more explosive will be huge for him.
To me the wild card is Cade, he has all the things you want. Explosive and quick with great size and length already. He more than JP and even Aidoo needs to gain some size though but he seems like he might have the higher ceiling of all 4 mentioned...

BUT I would absolutely love us to land another big in the portal. A well seasoned and strong body that's used to playing in the paint. Someone that can help Aidoo get better. I think you'll have a hard time selling us to a 1 year guy though unless they are just a lower school guy that wants to dance in March (like DK did).

Sam Alexis from Chattanooga could be a good option... 6'9" 230lbs with 2 years left was a 11 ppg, 9 rpg, 2 bpg guy for them this season.
Maxime Raynaud from Stanford is a great option... 7'1" 240lbs with at least 1 year left was a 15 ppg, 10 rpg guy for them this season. (12 double-doubles on the year)
Clifford Omoruyi from Rutgers is a good option... 6'11" 240lbs has a year left a career 10 ppg, 8 rpg, 2 bpg guy with 121 games and 104 starts
Brandon Garrison from OK State is a good option... 6'11" 245lbs with 3 years left was a 7 ppg, 5 rpg guy with 32 games and 29 starts, what's really appealing about him is 100% of his shots were 2 PT and he was good for 57.2% FG

But I think more enter after the tournament is over. Not a ton of 7' guys currently available that aren't inexperienced OR slim bodies.

Wonder if Justin Abson is someone that we take a look at from App State.
6'9 235 and was one the Nation's top shot blockers at 2.2 per game. Has 2 years of eligibility left and would likely be a guy that would be content with coming off the bench and filling a roll.

Reactions: Volfan1000

VN Store

Back