2024 Team Expectations

I think the roster as it stands is an 8 or 9 win roster. Nico elevates this team to 10 wins imo. Quarterback is that big of a deal. When the game is on the line in the 4th quarter against Oklahoma and Florida, we have #8 and they don’t. That’s the bottom line!

Reactions: bpalmer28
I think the roster drops a lot of dead weight and the talent and production improve. May not translate to wins because of a tough schedule, and we will see youthful mistakes, but the future is bright, IMO.

Love Sampson but he’ll find himself quickly out of a job if he doesn’t pass protect better this season

Reactions: b_gann
I’ll say 10-2 , Kentucky is Kentucky, Vandy is Vandy, Missouri will suck, Florida will suck.
I’d say 10-2 / 9-3 I do think we beat one of the 3 between Ga, Ala or Oklahoma . Just can’t lose to a crappy Florida team again .

After watching Jackson Arnold and Nico in the bowl games, I'm much more optimistic about the Oklahoma game. Arnold held the ball far too long and was turnover prone. Also, Arizona, who runs a good offensive schene had plenty of success against Oklahoma. Granted its an awau game, I think our offense will give them a nice SEC welcome and our defense gets enough turnovers and stops to win it comfortably.

So with that game formely being a swing game for me, I now think 10-2 is the floor. You have to account for Nico having a freshman game or two. But I think the offense returns to near 2022 production. Defense is a better unit than it was back then. Either way, I do think the standard is to make the 12 team playoffs.

Strong finish to the 2023 season! What are our expectations for next season?

WR is slightly concerning but I think we have potential there. DB scares me with both depth and unproven talent but the pass rush should help. I actually think our schedule works out for us with home games against Bama and Florida. The game away at Oklahoma somewhat concerns me because of our away record but their QB Jackson Arnold didn't impress me and obviously Georgia will be a challenge. But depending on how Nico and our defensive backs progress I honestly think we should go 10-2.

2024 Schedule:
Chattanooga
NC State (in North Carolina)
Kent State
at Oklahoma
at Arkansas
Florida
Alabama
Kentucky
Mississippi State
at Georgia
UTEP
at Vanderbilt

Also took a stab at the potential starting lineup or the different options for starters. Let me know if any of this is off or needs changing:
OFFENSE
QB: Nico (RS FR)
RB: Sampson (JR)/Seldon (SO)
WR: Bru(Maybe)/Nimrod (RS SO)/Webb (RS SO)/Matthews (FR)
WR: Brazell (TR)/Thorton Jr. (SR)
SO: Squirell (JR)
TE: Staes (TR)
LT: Campbell (SR)
LG: Karic (SR)
C: Mays (SR)
RG: Spraggins (SR)
RT: Mincey (SR)

DEFENSE
DE: Tyre West (JR)
NT: Norman-Lott (SR)
DT: O. Thomas (SR)
LEO: Pearce (JR)
MLB: Herring(JR)/Pili (SR),
WLB: Carter (SO)/Tealander (SO)
CB: Gibson (SO)/Matthews (RS FR)
CB: McCoy (TR)
SLOT: Jourdan Thomas (JR)
FS: J. Slaughter (SO)/Jourdan Thomas (JR)
SS: Turrentine (RS JR)/Boo (FR)
9-3 will be my expectation. Outside of a bad offseason, we should go into 2024 as the favorites in 9 games.
NC State has a solid program, but we've seen the difference in SEC vs. other conferences lately. We should be able to take care of business.
Arkansas is on the ropes.
Florida will likely be predicted to have a losing season.
Kentucky is Kentucky.
Miss St. is in year one but scares me some.

Oklahoma, Alabama, and Georgia will be the three we're likely the dogs in. Oklahoma is beatable though. Their offseason has not been good.

Expected wins:
Chattanooga
NC State (in North Carolina)
Kent State
UTEP
Vanderbilt

Probable wins:
Arky
Miss St
Kentucky

Toss ups
Oklahoma
UF

Probable losses
Bama
UGA

Seems like we tend to drop one on the road we shouldn't (Arky?). If that continues, and we come up short on the toss ups, we can could be at 7-5
That seat gets a little warm if we go 7-5. We walk into 2024 being favored in at least 9 of those. That means he's lost 2 that he shouldn't have. 8-4 should be the floor in 2024.

That seat gets a little warm if we go 7-5. We walk into 2024 being favored in at least 9 of those. That means he's lost 2 that he shouldn't have. 8-4 should be the floor in 2024.
When we beat Oklahoma, we should win 9-10 games. Look for us to beat Alabama in 2024.

Reactions: b_gann
Best case looks like 9-3 next year.
Brother, there comes a point in the progression of a program returning to championship caliber when they make that final step up, the one that puts them on competitive stance with the very best.

Saying "best case looks like 9-3" tells me you don't see us taking that final step in 2024. You still see UGa, Bama, and __???___ as beyond us.

I don't. I think we're there.

No, I'm not saying we have equal talent. I'm not saying we're a lock for 12-0. But when you add together the strength of our coaching staff, and our scheme, with a roster of players who are getting closer and closer to the best, all that together can make us competitive with anyone. Yep, in 2024.

It is never a definite thing to win a championship--conference or national. But we're close enough now to start taking our lads and coaches seriously for it.

Go Vols!

Reactions: 24/7vol
Imagine thinking a coaches weight has anything to do with his team’s discipline or on-field performance.
It most certainly does. Especially when you factor in the weight and the clothing, just sloppy. Josh also might be too much of a players coach. Like letting your kid run wild and not have a curfew

Florida is not a toss up. They are a run first team and just lost their best back to Georgia.

If Nico is half as good as his hype, we will be solidly favored against them playing at home.

9-3. sadly, i can never predict us winning against the gators. ou is not trending in the right direction.

I'd be ecstatic if we snuck in the playoffs at 9-3. I'm thinking 8/9 wins..

I remember the decade of just hoping to get a bowl bid, making progess

I think beating Florida at home is critical. We play 'bama the next week, again at home, and need to be coming off a solid win.

I am thinking 8-4 as the starting point with losses to Oklahoma, Arkansas, Alabama and Georgia. Florida is at home, so I think that makes a difference in that game. All others we should win.

The game at OU will set the tone. We are nowhere close to the level we need to be at to even be competitive against Bama and Georgia.

8-4 will not get us in the CFP - I think we need at least a 9-3 record with a win over either Bama or Georgia.

VN Store

Back