2024 Recruiting Thread

The HS commit argument is really simplistic thinking. If a school signs 4 recruits out of HS.. and 2 decide to transfer out after 1 year there’s a void to fill.
If a school misses out on signing HS prospects but signs former highly recruited players through the portal including multiple players that were rated the top players in the portal then the holes are filled.
By this logic, some of you people would prefer signing just about any HS player over a better player with 2 or 3 years of eligibility remaining. At this point you are just complaining for no reason.
You made two unknown facts to make your post seem educational let me school the posters who liked your comments.your post is based on if this if that.if a high schooler transfers after one year thats an unknown she might not if a portal player has two to 3 years thats an unknown she might not but what is known is a high schooler will have more eligibility than a portal player so i would rather build with a heavy top high schoolers class and mix with the portal than depend on the portal to fill the void of top high schoolers not coming in jmo

You made two unknown facts to make your post seem educational let me school the posters who liked your comments.your post is based on if this if that.if a high schooler transfers after one year thats an unknown she might not if a portal player has two to 3 years thats an unknown she might not but what is known is a high schooler will have more eligibility than a portal player so i would rather build with a heavy top high schoolers class and mix with the portal than depend on the portal to fill the void of top high schoolers not coming in jmo

LOL, i liked the post and still agree with what the poster said 😂 give me jillian hollingshead and three years anytime

Last edited:
Just because someone doesn't like everything that's happens does not mean they aren't a fan.

Memo, I asked because there's no way to discern tone on these message boards, so if you'd said you didn't like the Harper hire I'd probably read your posts like that one "hearing" a negative tone. Now I get you better. I definitely agree you can like someone and not always like every decision they make.

Time will tell, didn’t work for Bill Snyder at KState living off JUCO kids to cycle his roster. We have 2 freshman (1 recruit, 1 walk-on) and nothing in the pipeline. 1/3 of the roster is portal, on paper look good but short term fixes with the exception of Hollingshead.

I think Rickea jackson, Jillian Hollingshead, Jasmine powell, and Jasmine Franklin might be a bit above Juco level players that could help propel this team forward.

I will say that we do look good "on paper" but also on paper each of those portal players brought in have had high level impacts on their previous programs (in hollingshead's case she was injured but still had some great play for UGA).

So I would agree filling the team with portal players is not the way to go snatching them up when the time arises isn't a bad thing. I don't think Kellie intends to live off of portal players to fill her rosters but if they are some that could help elevate her team she should be fired for at least not looking into them.

Time will tell, didn’t work for Bill Snyder at KState living off JUCO kids to cycle his roster. We have 2 freshman (1 recruit, 1 walk-on) and nothing in the pipeline. 1/3 of the roster is portal, on paper look good but short term fixes with the exception of Hollingshead.

Short term or not, there is an open portal every year. And we are getting very experienced and talented players. Why take a case of maybe when you can get a six-pack of certainty?

i feel like the portal had already proved extremely important even BEFORE the most recent super-transfers. When I think of the sad level the program had dropped to just before we started making strides in the portal to how it started turning around after Jordan Walker, Keyen Green and Alexus Dye -- and even Lou Brown and Jaiden McCoy to a certain extent -- I am 100% sure that transfers were a major factor in getting the program out of the funk it was in.

Walker, Green and Dye were/are particularly important figures when I think of the step up the program took last season. If they'd not been on the roster, I'm not sure Tennessee reaches the S16 even if Jordan and Rae hadn't gotten injured.

Anyway, all this just to say that I don't think we need to wait and see if the portal will pan out for us. IMO, evidence is clear that it already HAS. The latest group of star-quality transfer is sure to take the program even further, too, so I'm surprised people still aren't quite sold on the portal.

If I'm a coach picking up top recruits that can give me one or 2yrs playing time, hell ya I'm good with that than recruits from high school.

I think it's preferable to have top HS recruits for four years to allow them time to come along slowly if possible (especially post players) and, for them, because it's cool to have the full four-year experience in one place if you can.

BUT, the obvious advantage to picking the best of the portal is that players who are transferring already understand what college campus life is like, what college academics pressures are like, and what it takes to play basketball at the college basketball. All those questions have already been answered for the kids, and they know MUCH better what they really want and need in a college and in a basketball program after they've experienced it elsewhere.

Not ALL of course, but a fair number of high school kids aren't quite as mature and ready to make a college decision as they think they are when they make it at 17 or 18 years old. Then they get to college, gain a better understanding about not just where they are but at other schools, and then the light bulb finally goes on for them. And usually, those who transfer come to their second destination a lot more mature and ready to play right away.

I'm super happy with the way Kellie and her staff have managed the roster.

Last edited:
I think it's preferable to have top HS recruits for four years to allow them time to come along slowly if possible (especially post players) and, for them, because it's cool to have the full four-year experience in one place if you can.

BUT, the obvious advantage to picking the best of the portal is that players who are transferring already understand what college campus life is like, what college academics pressures are like, and what it takes to play basketball at the college basketball. All those questions have already been answered for the kids, and they know MUCH better what they really want and need in a college and in a basketball program after they've experienced it elsewhere.

Not ALL of course, but a fair number of high school kids aren't quite as mature and ready to make a college decision as they think they are when they make it at 17 or 18 years old. Then they get to college, gain a better understanding about not just where they are but at other schools, and then the light bulb finally goes on for them. And usually, those who transfer come to their second destination a lot more mature and ready to play right away.

I'm super happy with the way Kellie and her staff have managed the roster.

I'm glad that this system came in place ..portal.. Kellie is very smart to use it to get her team bk on top.. with this yr team, all top high school players will understand that TN is bk..

I'm glad that this system came in place ..portal.. Kellie is very smart to use it to get her team bk on top.. with this yr team, all top high school players will understand that TN is bk..

Can’t make a roster of your core players/starters being 1-2 years and no depth behind. Nothing is guaranteed in the portal, open market for everyone each year. Eventually you need to cycle your roster with recruited and developed players. And a portal player from time to time as needed. Right now is a cause for some concern with number of HS kids in regards to Tennessee.

Last edited:
Can’t make a roster of your core players/starters being 1-2 years and no depth behind. Nothing is guaranteed in the portal, open market for everyone each year. Eventually you need to cycle your roster with recruited and developed players. And a portal player from time to time as needed. Right now is a cause for some concern with number of HS kids in regards to Tennessee.

Ur rite but, "Half bread is better than non".. portal may even get Kellie to win championship this yr.

Not sure why you think you can't make a roster annually from the portal..Mulkey has been doing it for years with success. No reason Kellie can't do that as well, if necessary.

Not sure why you think you can't make a roster annually from the portal..Mulkey has been doing it for years with success. No reason Kellie can't do that as well, if necessary.

Her final years she won it 2019 with a graduate transfer who started her career here, then to South Carolina before getting to Baylor. In her final year she had 4 and made it to the Elite 8 before heading to LSU. I side with the portal as only to infuse in areas of need. If we had 3 committed for the 2023 class I personally wouldn't be as concerned and the extra covid year for athletes is about to to exhaust itself so rosters won't be so log jammed.

With Kelly's success with the portal, she can be exceedingly picky with her HS commits.

IMO taking a HSer right now is much more risky than a SO/JR from the portal. One bad day and that HSer can go anywhere else and play immediately. The players from the portal have more skin in the game and more urgency to make an impact.

With Kelly's success with the portal, she can be exceedingly picky with her HS commits.

IMO taking a HSer right now is much more risky than a SO/JR from the portal. One bad day and that HSer can go anywhere else and play immediately. The players from the portal have more skin in the game and more urgency to make an impact.
is Jaloni Cambridge risky? I understand what you’re saying. Does a portal player that doesn’t pan out and has 2-3 years left risky?

VN Store

Back