2024 Recruiting Thread

Majors my friend, I've been a mostly positive poster here for a very long time and I'm very concerned about what the hell is going on with this coaching staff...I tried to believe things would improve for the better, but I don't see it...

UConn comes in here and treats our girls like small change...Geno goes all ballistic talking to Holly Rowe and gets his way, then when Jackson has to defend herself from a foot in the face after being deliberately pulled to the ground first, Harper doesn't get a technical screaming at the refs that Jackson was pulled violently to the floor first...Woman, defend your players!

The lack of 2023 recruits is a tell tell sign that this program is not thought highly of by many, other than by us old fans that remember when....

And the lack of quality playing time for Justine is just plain stupid...She can shoot the ball better than anyone on this squad and, if used properly, her height could be a needed asset...Hell, most of us fans have played as much as she has.

The LVs run a type of mostly non motion offense...The wings often come down and just mostly stand to the side waiting for a kick out pass that hardly ever comes because our little point guards try to take on 2-3 tall defensive players and they end up playing volleyball with their weak ass shot attempts...(A smart coach would have stopped this useless practice many games ago, but no, it still continues and will continue)

I don't know what the hell is going on at LV practices, nor should I know, but so far our girls can look fairly decent against average teams, but look far less than adequate against the better teams...It's part talent, and part coaching, that has this program going nowhere fast... That is not debatable..

Unless Kellie has a big surprize for next season, It's going to be ugly.

Majors my friend, I've been a mostly positive poster here for a very long time and I'm very concerned about what the hell is going on with this coaching staff...I tried to believe things would improve for the better, but I don't see it...

UConn comes in here and treats our girls like small change...Geno goes all ballistic talking to Holly Rowe and gets his way, then when Jackson has to defend herself from a foot in the face after being deliberately pulled to the ground first, Harper doesn't get a technical screaming at the refs that Jackson was pulled violently to the floor first...Woman, defend your players!

The lack of 2023 recruits is a tell tell sign that this program is not thought highly of by many, other than by us old fans that remember when....

And the lack of quality playing time for Justine is just plain stupid...She can shoot the ball better than anyone on this squad and, if used properly, her height could be a needed asset...Hell, most of us fans have played as much as she has.

The LVs run a type of mostly non motion offense...The wings often come down and just mostly stand to the side waiting for a kick out pass that hardly ever comes because our little point guards try to take on 2-3 tall defensive players and they end up playing volleyball with their weak ass shot attempts...(A smart coach would have stopped this useless practice many games ago, but no, it still continues and will continue)

I don't know what the hell is going on at LV practices, nor should I know, but so far our girls can look fairly decent against average teams, but look far less than adequate against the better teams...It's part talent, and part coaching, that has this program going nowhere fast... That is not debatable..

Unless Kellie has a big surprize for next season, It's going to be ugly.

That’s an honest and fair assessment and a view shared by many in all points. Unfortunately, we are closer to Belmont women’s basketball than we are UConn or SC. We are faced with next year, CKH coaching for her job and more importantly not losing ground to the elites for the future.

If she has staff members falling on the sword/leaving after this year, then we know next year is crossroads year.

That’s an honest and fair assessment and a view shared by many in all points. Unfortunately, we are closer to Belmont women’s basketball than we are UConn or SC. We are faced with next year, CKH coaching for her job and more importantly not losing ground to the elites for the future.

If she has staff members falling on the sword/leaving after this year, then we know next year is crossroads year.
That is a concern. Our assistant coaches are getting the recruits on campus. Kellie isn't or doesn't want to close the deal. Are these coaches even on the same page??? Other than NIL money,it has to be lack of communication between the staff...

That is a concern. Our assistant coaches are getting the recruits on campus. Kellie isn't or doesn't want to close the deal. Are these coaches even on the same page??? Other than NIL money,it has to be lack of communication between the staff...

Y'all will speculate the wildest things... o_O

We've had the top recruits on campus..fact...we signed 0 of them....fact....assistant coaches reputation taking a beating...fact...again,where us the speculation????

I haven't read or heard anything negative about the reputation of the assistant coaches. They're bringing great recruits to campus, and they have commitments from a top 2025 recruit and THE top 2027 recruit. 2023 is concerning, but there's still plenty of time for 2024 (I only see one commitment from the Hoopgurlz top 60 and four commitments from the Prospects Nation top 60). You also suggested a lack of communication among the staff. By all accounts they seem to love working together.

A lot of bad habits go uncorrected like that. To Walker's credit, I noticed she dribbled along the baseline and back out instead of forcing up a shot on one possession in the UConn game. That is the first time I can ever remember seeing her do that. But not forcing up a shot against posts who overmatch her could, and should, have been ingrained in her years ago. If it takes being a 5th year senior to figure something so obvious out then that shows that we are not developing good habits from the get go and are tolerating poor decision making

Then you notice things like Walker being forced to pick up her dribble and absolutely no one coming to flash free and provide an outlet. They just stood and looked at her until it was a turnover. Stuff like that is inexplicable. All of those players have been playing ball long enough to know what to do in that situation.

Then there are the possessions where everyone just stands around. How much easier can you make it on the other team to play defense? We ran eight seconds off the clock once just looking to the bench for instructions on what play to run. Might as well hand out cold drinks to the defense too while you are giving them a breather like that.

When you allow all of these things to become habits then you have no right to complain when you lose. You got the results you prepared yourself to get.

There’s something to be said for not closing. We weren’t closing before the NIL so it’s an added obstacle.

Part of Justine's game uniform....
images

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Part of Justine's game uniform....
images
No need to get nasty because your favorite player is not college ready. Why not give the coaching staff a chance to bring her along so she can have success instead of being beat down continuously.
It seems a lot of posters forget that Kellie and staff know way more about basketball than ANYONE ON HERE and have more blood sweat and tears invested in this program than ANYONE ON HERE.
I support this team and this staff 100%.

No need to get nasty because your favorite player is not college ready. Why not give the coaching staff a chance to bring her along so she can have success instead of being beat down continuously.
It seems a lot of posters forget that Kellie and staff know way more about basketball than ANYONE ON HERE and have more blood sweat and tears invested in this program than ANYONE ON HERE.
Oof… delusion.

Reactions: olddog
I've used the argument about Kellie and staff knowing more about basketball than anyone here also. But then, so did Holly.

Reactions: LadyVol1908
Coaching is a skill set. Some have it, some don’t. I trust Danny White to do what’s needed.

Go VOLS

Imari Berry and Madi Hawk have both been nominated for 4A TN MISS BASKETBALL, currently ranked #1 and #2 SG in the state
I think Imari is a PG or at least her school has her listed as one.
Imari is a “pg” the same was Jasmine Powell is. They have the ball up top and look to score for themselves. She’s a shooting guard

Justine is just fine soaking up and learning the game...She just has not found out that to play offense, you must play defense. That will come, it is just a matter of time.
She plays the wrong position on D. She need to be guarding a big. It’s how she’s always played. She typically guarded the 5 on her summer team. Sara Pucket also has this problem

She got a five minute first half stretch against LSU (I though it was longer until I checked the box score).

On the plus, Justine almost had a gorgeous assist to Puckett (great pass and great catch but the lay-up rimmed out, sort of the story of the season...). She had 1 rebound and was 0-2 shooting. She is looking more comfortable on the court but still seems tentative and unsure about what she should be doing.

With Justine, we have a kind of chicken or egg problem. if she had more playing time, would she be further along and a stronger contributor or does she have liabilities right now that have to be addressed before she can match-up?

Probably, the truth is in the middle but I can see how and why the latter option has relevance. Right now, Justine is a kind of tweener player. She is a 6'4 guard who lacks the lateral quickness and handles to play against smaller guards and she is too slight to match up against forwards and posts.

At 6'4 she should be a female Kevin Durant who can shoot over anyone who is guarding her. But, at the risk of tooting my own horn (TOOT!TOOT!), I noticed early on that she has a relatively low release point,. She brings likes to the ball up from low and her shot begins at her shoulder. That means a quick guard can play her tight (cause Justine ain't beating people of the dribble) and Justine does not have space to get her shot off. We can compare her to Tess, who is 3 inches shorter but has a classic high release. she is getting better and better at hitting shots with people in her face.

So, Justine needs space and she works hard moving around the perimeter but her movement is slow and there are no quick cuts that you need to create space. She is right now lumbering around the perimeter.

She has a huge upside but really needs a lot of strength and conditioning work.

Last edited:
We can compare her to Tess, who is 3 inches shorter but has a classic high release. she is getting better and better at hitting shots with people in her face.
Is Tess walking when she takes that little crow hop before she shoots? Can't tell if both feet are leaving the floor.

Reactions: lfvol

VN Store

Back