2024 Recruiting Thread

I wish I could like this more than once !!!!!

Another example : I got interested in Hamilton Heights when Kamilla Carodosa was a freshman/ sophomore. Her teammates Balogun , and Jaz , and Treasure we’re getting recognized by recruiting services but Kamilla ( at first) was not even listed !!! But she had what you cannot coach (6’6”) and some agility! She looked like an Antelope running up and down the court and I don’t mean this in a good way . I believe it took her till her Junior year to get noticed . And even then one service did not even list her at all ? But ended up as a top 5—10 ranked player and is now being talked about as a national championship maker for some schools ! 🤷‍♂️

Rae is one of my favorite players to make the services questioning their ratings! I could see her abilities from day one , but what a train wreck until she started to slow down and let the game come to her ..... Obviously improving her shooting comes with practice and effort to improve! These ranking services tend to look at numbers , percentages , rebounds, even judging players by height and weight ? 🤷‍♂️

I’ll end this rant with a favorite of mine .
“ It’s not the size of the dog in the fight ,
but the size of the fight in the dog !” JMO
I don't think ranking services are fail proof...the just assess what the player's potential is at the next level. Sometimes they get it right, sometimes they get it wrong. I think it's safe to say though that the upper tier is pretty clear cut. Players that are consensus top 5-10 players across all of the rating services are more likely than not going to be impact players very early on. There will always be players like Rae who take a few years to get going, but the top tier of ranked players will most likely be "college ready" players once they step on campus.

I don't think ranking services are fail proof...the just assess what the player's potential is at the next level. Sometimes they get it right, sometimes they get it wrong. I think it's safe to say though that the upper tier is pretty clear cut. Players that are consensus top 5-10 players across all of the rating services are more likely than not going to be impact players very early on. There will always be players like Rae who take a few years to get going, but the top tier of ranked players will most likely be "college ready" players once they step on campus.
You can argue that but you can also argue it is all about fit, which has been my point. Players seem to be fine with going to UConn even if it means they wont play. We will see if the same thing happens for SC. One of the things that works in those programs favors is not just the coaches but also the connection the coaches have.

For example not only does Geno have championships but he has also sent several women on to the professional ranks as well as was head coach of Team USA. Dawn also played in the WNBA, sent players to the WNBA and was assistant coach and now head coach of Team USA. Although some may say those are excuses, those are clear advantages that Kellie doesn't have. Kellie can use Tennessee's tradition and having played with The Meeks and for Pat, but today's players wouldn't recognize her from her playing days and it doesn't help that Holly years started great but ended so poorly. Add to that a pandemic. Kellie has had to try to restore a lot of what Holly tore down while also trying to keep up with coaches who have built relationships with players for years.

The issue I have is people look at what other programs are doing and want us to do the same. People around here were upset when we didn't land the likes of Rellah Booth, Elizabeth Balogun, Liz Dixon, Izzabella Nicoletti, Maya Dodson, Danielle Patterson, Jade Williams, Acquira Decosta, Honesty Scott-Grayson, Tori McCoy, (I can go on and on with players over the years that we missed out on recruiting that people made like it was the end of the world.)

Rankings matter to some, but a great coach can take players who aren't ranked high and elevate them (Aari McDonald, Kysre Gondrezick , Chelsea Dungee). I would rather the right fits than all of the Top rated prospects. But as I can see I am in the minority.

You need to talk louder ! Some on this forum worship and believe rankings are ALL POWERFUL..... If you are not in the top ten in rankings you are a failure for our coaches! There will be more loses and THE SKY IS FALLING !!! Even when players are pointed out that were not ranked very highly and had good college careers and now in the WNBA ! They still complain? Some people are just miserable pessimistic’s and want everyone else to come join them in their down trodden lives !!!!

You can argue that but you can also argue it is all about fit, which has been my point. Players seem to be fine with going to UConn even if it means they wont play. We will see if the same thing happens for SC. One of the things that works in those programs favors is not just the coaches but also the connection the coaches have.

For example not only does Geno have championships but he has also sent several women on to the professional ranks as well as was head coach of Team USA. Dawn also played in the WNBA, sent players to the WNBA and was assistant coach and now head coach of Team USA. Although some may say those are excuses, those are clear advantages that Kellie doesn't have. Kellie can use Tennessee's tradition and having played with The Meeks and for Pat, but today's players wouldn't recognize her from her playing days and it doesn't help that Holly years started great but ended so poorly. Add to that a pandemic. Kellie has had to try to restore a lot of what Holly tore down while also trying to keep up with coaches who have built relationships with players for years.

The issue I have is people look at what other programs are doing and want us to do the same. People around here were upset when we didn't land the likes of Rellah Booth, Elizabeth Balogun, Liz Dixon, Izzabella Nicoletti, Maya Dodson, Danielle Patterson, Jade Williams, Acquira Decosta, Honesty Scott-Grayson, Tori McCoy, (I can go on and on with players over the years that we missed out on recruiting that people made like it was the end of the world.)

Rankings matter to some, but a great coach can take players who aren't ranked high and elevate them (Aari McDonald, Kysre Gondrezick , Chelsea Dungee). I would rather the right fits than all of the Top rated prospects. But as I can see I am in the minority.

I don’t think you are in the minority. Just because 2 or 3 posters are vocal proponents of signing top 5 players, there are a lot more who understand that character is an important virtue. Sign a Diva and chances are they will hit the portal when things get tough.

I don’t get wrapped around the axle worrying about recruiting and using perceived recruiting weaknesses as a bat to hammer fans with. Kellie’s job will depend on how successful she is and recruiting is a part of that but not the only criteria against which she will be judged by her superiors.

Last edited:
I don’t think you are in the minority. Just because 2 or 3 posters are vocal proponents of signing top 5 players, there are a lot more who understand that character is an important virtue. Sign a Diva and chances they will hit the portal when things get tough.

I don’t get wrapped around the axle worrying about recruiting and using perceived recruiting weaknesses as a bat to hammer fans with. Kellie’s job will depend on how successful she is and recruiting is a part of that but not the only criteria against which she will be judged by her superiors.
Thank you!

I have looked into this and 23' booker does have multiple power 5 offers and Hawk 24' has offers as of 8th grade (Murray state and Wofford) however it looks as if she is getting multiple power five interest and on speaking terms with - Maryland, Stanford, Iowa state, Indiana, Iowa, Georgia, Flordia and TN are just a few

They say a picture is worth a thousand words !

And knowing these coaches ...... we won’t hear another word from them ? But it’s good to see that we (UT) are aware of her ! 😁
Good Lord she is just a baby!! Honestly can not imagine saying a negative thing about these young women. Vitriol should be reserved for coaches when deserved, ADs just because and referees always!

Good Lord she is just a baby!! Honestly can not imagine saying a negative thing about these young women. Vitriol should be reserved for coaches when deserved, ADs just because and referees always!

Our coaches do not say anything about recruiting! There in lies my pun ....
Everyone on this forum knows this !
Recruiting under Holly was a “ you heard what about who “ ! Everyone was talking about all potential recruits.

This coaching staff gives you zero information and this is well known. Do you know the young lady in the picture? I believe ( Madi Hawk ?). Some on this forum believe she wants to come to UT . Some think we have no interest? She is a freshman and will be in the 2024 class. Do you think Kelly is interested in recruiting her ? Obviously she made an effort to see this player ....... This is information about this player that you will not hear anything from the coaches about any recruits! This is all I meant..... A picture might mean there is an interest? I don’t know but at least the picture proves that she saw this player ! Just My Opinion

Last edited:
Recruiting under Holly was a “ you heard what about who “ ! Everyone was talking about all potential recruits.

This coaching staff gives you zero information and this is well known. Do you know the young lady in the picture? I bey(Madi Hawk ?). Some on this forum believe she wants to come to UT . Some think we have no interest? She is a freshman and will be in the 2024 class. Do you think Kelly is interested in recruiting her ? Obviously she made an effort to see this player ....... This is information about this player that you will not hear anything from the coaches about any recruits! This is all I meant..... A picture might mean there is an interest? I don’t know but at least the picture proves that she saw this player ! Just My Opinion
My post had nothing to do with your post. I was just responding to the picture and how young these kids are. Sorry for the offense taken, none was meant to be given.

...I don’t get wrapped around the axle worrying about recruiting and using perceived recruiting weaknesses as a bat to hammer fans with. Kellie’s job will depend on how successful she is and recruiting is a part of that but not the only criteria against which she will be judged by her superiors.

Her job, in the end will be judged just like all coaching jobs, by her progress and her record(s)...Stars are for galaxies and rankings are for the military,,,,None of the incoming are top ten, yet I see a potential significant contribution from each player.

I have looked into this and 23' booker does have multiple power 5 offers and Hawk 24' has offers as of 8th grade (Murray state and Wofford) however it looks as if she is getting multiple power five interest and on speaking terms with - Maryland, Stanford, Iowa state, Indiana, Iowa, Georgia, Flordia and TN are just a few

Audrey, Madi's Mom DM'ed me immediately,,,,I told her to tell Madi to start a scrapbook. There WILL be more!

So I'm curious if it's just me, but I see/hear a lot of people chat about Puckett, Striplin, and Miles, but I tend to think that Wynn could really fill some holes for us. She can play
1-3 which gives us options. I'm just curious if there is a reason she isn't talked about as much or if it's just me? I think she could be one to watch to make some noise.

Wynn will make the loss of Davis a little less painful,,,you heard it here

...This coaching staff gives you zero information and this is well known. Do you know the young lady in the picture? I believe ( Madi Hawk ?). Some on this forum believe she wants to come to UT . Some think we have no interest? She is a freshman and will be in the 2024 class. Do you think Kelly is interested in recruiting her ? Obviously she made an effort to see this player ....... This is information about this player that you will not hear anything from the coaches about any recruits! This is all I meant..... A picture might mean there is an interest? I don’t know but at least the picture proves that she saw this player ! Just My Opinion

Yes I know her, well and she has received recent letters from TN. She will also be in a camp that her HS is holding in coordination with the Lady Vols, later this year.........They know about her!

This coaching staff gives you zero information and this is well known. Do you know the young lady in the picture? I believe ( Madi Hawk ?). Some on this forum believe she wants to come to UT . Some think we have no interest? She is a freshman and will be in the 2024 class. Do you think Kelly is interested in recruiting her ? Obviously she made an effort to see this player ....... This is information about this player that you will not hear anything from the coaches about any recruits! This is all I meant..... A picture might mean there is an interest? I don’t know but at least the picture proves that she saw this player ! Just My Opinion
Nice picture, I really don't think they will ever recruit her. I'd love to see a player with her passion there but truthfully she don't fit what they have offered.

Nice picture, I really don't think they will ever recruit her. I'd love to see a player with her passion there but truthfully she don't fit what they have offered.

that's twice you said that,,,

Let me introduce you to the yin for your yang,,,@Darth_Vol meet your yin-yang

Comparing our recruits to Geno is funny to me. 35-1 or 25-11 doesnt make a difference in the end. Geno hasnt won a championship lately. And yes I know since the Lady Vols have. But what I'm saying is with all his high profile players playing in the AAC or Big East doesnt mean crap to me. Just ask Arizona.

Tennessee tends to wait to jump on recruits, they don't very often offer young. My thinking is if you have a top player not only in the state of TN but ranked very highly in the nation by multiple services you would give that kid a look for sure. If HAWK was in just about any other state than TN she would have an offer from that states home school I put money on it. Sometimes I think TN waits to long to show interest and give offers and maybe it turns off in state kids bc they feel like they wasn't very interested JMO 🤔 any thoughts to this

Kellie invited Madi to a couple of games her 8th grade year. Probably would have last year too if not for Covid

Tennessee tends to wait to jump on recruits, they don't very often offer young. My thinking is if you have a top player not only in the state of TN but ranked very highly in the nation by multiple services you would give that kid a look for sure. If HAWK was in just about any other state than TN she would have an offer from that states home school I put money on it. Sometimes I think TN waits to long to show interest and give offers and maybe it turns off in state kids bc they feel like they wasn't very interested JMO 🤔 any thoughts to this

I have explained to Madi that small colleges and mid level teams will approach her early and maybe some larger colleges who see a future in her right now...but the elite programs are like the elite athletes, they wait until the timing is definite...I told her to visit other schools if she wants to, and should, but don't sign anything.

Reactions: Bret178

VN Store

Back