2024 NFL Offseason Thread

So not sure what the final amount Broncos pay him will be?...$140m ish? For 11 wins and we gave up 3 players + 5 picks...gotta be the worst transaction in NFL history, right?
I think Denver will owe him about $160 mill for two yrs work:

That's not all. Before Wilson played a game with the Broncos they signed him to a five-year extension worth more than $242 million with $161 million guaranteed according to Spotrac.

Russ, don't tell me these are "tough times"

So this is what the Broncos' salary cap situation will look like:

2024: $39 million cash*, $35.4M cap

2025: $0 cash, $49.6M cap

That looks very doable this year (his cap hit was going to be $35mill anyway) but next year looks to be a killer. Any idea how they can accomplish that?

Payton must really despise Russ

That looks very doable this year (his cap hit was going to be $35mill anyway) but next year looks to be a killer. Any idea how they can accomplish that?

I'm sure Payton/Broncos will try to play the restructuring game with current players in regards to the cap hit. Same thing in NO, but now the chickens seem to be roosting on them.

Pretty sure he has that wrong on the dead cap hit. That was the way it was to work out if they cut him this summer. Cutting him now allows them to take the whole cap hit this year.

It's not about despising Russ, it's about moving forward. Payton can't do anything with a guy who can't throw over the middle of the field.

Edit: looks like people are saying it will be divided across 2024 and 2025 if it's designated as a June cut.

Pretty sure he has that wrong on the dead cap hit. That was the way it was to work out if they cut him this summer. Cutting him now allows them to take the whole cap hit this year.

It's not about despising Russ, it's about moving forward. Payton can't do anything with a guy who can't throw over the middle of the field.

Edit: looks like people are saying it will be divided across 2024 and 2025 if it's designated as a June cut.
It appears the NFL has a loophole rule where you can cut up to 2 guys now but they will count as a June cut where the cap hit can be split into two seasons. This gives the Broncos the best of all worlds. They don't have to give Russ that guaranteed 2025 year and they can split it into 2 yrs. If they wanted to take the entire hit this year, they could but that'd be nearly impossible. This year's $35mill hit is almost entirely covered by the increase in the cap for 2024

Reactions: Plecoptera
It appears the NFL has a loophole rule where you can cut up to 2 guys now but they will count as a June cut where the cap hit can be split into two seasons. This gives the Broncos the best of all worlds. They don't have to give Russ that guaranteed 2025 year and they can split it into 2 yrs. If they wanted to take the entire hit this year, they could but that'd be nearly impossible. This year's $35mill hit is almost entirely covered by the increase in the cap for 2024

The problem is this is a throwaway year so we shouldn't really care about that. I hope we can figure out how to eat the whole $85m

The owners need to pass the new kickoff rules.

Gotta fix onside kicks and it would be nice if we got more returns, too.

I remember that, about 20 years ago, research showed that kicker leg strength was more important than FG accuracy. They showed that the value of being an 82% kicker and a 90% kicker was only a difference of about 12 points a season or something like that. But the difference between a guy who could get a touchback every time vs. a guy who was giving up a lot of returns to the 30-40 yard line was worth 40 points a season or something like that. Don't quote me on the numbers, but that was the just. So Colts were paying Vinatieri like $5m/yr and he couldn't kick a touchback and they even stopped using him on kickoffs.

Now you have to be excellent with accuracy because of difficult XP's and anybody can kick a touchback.

Gotta fix onside kicks and it would be nice if we got more returns, too.

I remember that, about 20 years ago, research showed that kicker leg strength was more important than FG accuracy. They showed that the value of being an 82% kicker and a 90% kicker was only a difference of about 12 points a season or something like that. But the difference between a guy who could get a touchback every time vs. a guy who was giving up a lot of returns to the 30-40 yard line was worth 40 points a season or something like that. Don't quote me on the numbers, but that was the just. So Colts were paying Vinatieri like $5m/yr and he couldn't kick a touchback and they even stopped using him on kickoffs.

Now you have to be excellent with accuracy because of difficult XP's and anybody can kick a touchback.
The new rules would get more returns, i saw McAfee breaking it down. If the kicker kicks it into the endzone they get it at the 35, so it entices kickers to keep it out of the endzone. Also the onside kick rules will go back to the old rules where you can have 6 players on one side of the kicker, only problem is you can only do it in the 4th quarter and half to notify the officials you're attempting it. No more surprise onside kicks.

McShay made a good point about skipping the combine. MHjr avoided 2 months of training for combine measurements and spent offseason training with veteran WR's working on practical skills.

Reactions: SlipKidVol
The new rules would get more returns, i saw McAfee breaking it down. If the kicker kicks it into the endzone they get it at the 35, so it entices kickers to keep it out of the endzone. Also the onside kick rules will go back to the old rules where you can have 6 players on one side of the kicker, only problem is you can only do it in the 4th quarter and half to notify the officials you're attempting it. No more surprise onside kicks.
I'm probably wrong but did they not place the ball at the 35 at one time a few years back🤷

Jaylon Johnson reupped with the Bears $19 mil per. Good deal for all.

Reactions: knoxvol52

VN Store

Back