2023 Target List

I would have thought it was a fore gone conclusion that Bronny would have gone to Duke if coach K was still there. However with him retiring it has to open things up.

I know the James family had ties to OSU but I wouldn’t consider them amongst the blue bloods in CBB.

I personally have always thought we would have a chance with Bronny. Despite the up/down feelings we as fans have with Rick Barnes at times. But in NBA circles and college basketball world he is highly regarded and respected for his basketball IQ, and development. Not to mention the relationships he build and develops as young men. All that to say I personally think Lebron would have a lot of respect for CRB and would gladly allow Bronny to play here.

That doesn’t mean he will come here. But I think we could legitimately be in play.

It is also no secret how close Lebron and Durant are...... Durant is one of more famous one and done guys that are on close level with Lebron....

Durant and Barnes still have decent relationship. On top of Barnes resurrecting program and getting Grant to the pro's, I can see why Tennessee would be surprise school from national reaction.

Duke - Coach K is leaving
UNC - Roy Williams left
OSU - Not top tier program with track record of getting guys to NBA / Geographical ties to Lebron and family
Texas - Where Durant went / Chris Beard one of hotter name coaches
Kentucky - Seems like Cal is slowly fading away

Meanwhile Barnes has one of the hotter recruiting momentums going. With that said, I fully expect Bronny to be going to OSU or blue blood. With UCLA getting hot again under Cronin, I'm surprised they aren't "rumored" to be in running.

I can’t imagine the circus around having a notoriously outspoken athlete at UT. I can’t imagine how this would negatively affect teammates, their families, etc. Lebron is Lebron. What you’ve seen in the past is most likely what you will see in the future. Barnes is not a “look at me” kind of coach, and I doubt there’s much of a chance he would want the attention.

It is also no secret how close Lebron and Durant are...... Durant is one of more famous one and done guys that are on close level with Lebron....

Durant and Barnes still have decent relationship. On top of Barnes resurrecting program and getting Grant to the pro's, I can see why Tennessee would be surprise school from national reaction.

Duke - Coach K is leaving
UNC - Roy Williams left
OSU - Not top tier program with track record of getting guys to NBA / Geographical ties to Lebron and family
Texas - Where Durant went / Chris Beard one of hotter name coaches
Kentucky - Seems like Cal is slowly fading away

Meanwhile Barnes has one of the hotter recruiting momentums going. With that said, I fully expect Bronny to be going to OSU or blue blood. With UCLA getting hot again under Cronin, I'm surprised they aren't "rumored" to be in running.
To the bolded, recency bias would suggest otherwise. I don't think it is entirely his fault as some other issues have changed the recent recruiting landscape, but if that isn't fixed, soon, we could be facing an uphill battle in terms of high profile players.

Reactions: b_gann
To the bolded, recency bias would suggest otherwise. I don't think it is entirely his fault as some other issues have changed the recent recruiting landscape, but if that isn't fixed, soon, we could be facing an uphill battle in terms of high profile players.

Agree, unfortunately. I'm loathe to criticize Barnes' recruiting, but he really was taken behind the woodshed this fall. Rob Lewis chalked it up solely to losing some assistants (and the relationships they had developed with recruits), but let's hope it gets fixed, quick. The Jabari Smith loss alone really stings.

Agree, unfortunately. I'm loathe to criticize Barnes' recruiting, but he really was taken behind the woodshed this fall. Rob Lewis chalked it up solely to losing some assistants (and the relationships they had developed with recruits), but let's hope it gets fixed, quick. The Jabari Smith loss alone really stings.

If BHH elevates his game, it will be fun to watch BHH v Jabari on 2/26 in the TBA.

With Tennessee possibly in the Lebronny James conversational mix, it will get Tennessee in the door with other top recruits that otherwise would not have considered Tennessee as a possible option.

On Wednesday Gainey was in California at Southern California Academy, home to 2023 four-star guard Braelon Green among other prospects. With the Vols playing in Nashville on Saturday Tennessee will be in to see 2023 forward Jarred Hall from Lebanon on Friday night. Hall, who plays with Keon Johnson’s former travel team, EAB, is a definite take for this staff.
-Vq

updated…

#4 Kwame Evans Jr.
#7 Omaha Biliew
#8 Justin Edwards
#10 GG Jackson
#18 Mikey Williams
#23 Kanaan Carlyle
#26 Sam Walters
#60 Cade Phillips-OV
#62 Blue Cain-UOV
#66 Jacolb Cole
#67 Cameron Barnes
#123 Papa Kante
#132 Amani Hansberry-OV
#134 Isaiah West-UOV
NR Wesley Tubbs
NR Jared Hall-UOV
NR JP Estrella
International Tyrese Proctor

South Kent big man Papa Kante is emerging as one the more developed big men in the class of 2023. Kante has good mobility at 6-foot-10 and has long arms which he uses well to block and affect shots on the defensive side of the ball. Offensively, Kante is very patient in the post and can be used in the pick and pop with his ability to shoot from both mid range and from three. As far as recruitment goes, Kante is being recruited hard by Michigan State,Syracuse Tennessee, Memphis, Kansas,Providence, and UConn. He has taken visits to Providence, Uconn, and Rutgers.
Tennessee: “They send me a lot about their past big from the Celtics Grant Williams. They compare me to him the way he can shoot now and post up .
Coach Gainey is recruiting me hard. He probably texts me everyday and I played his son last year.

As Kante continues to emerge in the class of 2023 he still looks to add to his game as his junior season goes on.

“I pride myself on playing defense but I can shoot and won't try to take bad shots,” he said. “I'm trying to be the best defender in the class, get more rebounds and block more shots. I know the offense will come from that.”
-London

updated…

#4 Kwame Evans Jr.
#7 Omaha Biliew
#8 Justin Edwards
#10 GG Jackson
#18 Mikey Williams
#23 Kanaan Carlyle
#26 Sam Walters
#60 Cade Phillips-OV
#62 Blue Cain-UOV
#66 Jacolb Cole
#67 Cameron Barnes
#123 Papa Kante
#132 Amani Hansberry-OV
#134 Isaiah West-UOV
NR Wesley Tubbs
NR Jared Hall-UOV
NR JP Estrella
NR Keanu Dawes
International Tyrese Proctor

Reactions: allvolrecruiting

A kid who WANTS to play defense and relishes in the opportunity to do so? Sounds like a kid tailor-made for Rick Barnes and the Tennessee Vols.

Just show him the KenPom rankings on Defensive Efficiency the past few seasons and then his recruitment will shut down, ha.

LAS VEGAS, NV -- Tyrese Proctor, a 6-f00t-4 point guard out of Australia, has had a basketball in his hands since the age of two. The game is simply in his blood. His father, Rod Proctor, is from Mississippi and played at Ole Miss prior to moving to Australia to play professionally.

Tyrese's father is the one that put the ball in his hands on day one and he has had a massive impact in the development of who he is today - which is arguably the top point guard prospect in the entire 2023 class.

Proctor initially emerged as a high major prospect back in the winter 2019 at the same event he participated in this weekend, the Tarkanian Classic.
Since then, he's grown three inches and has further developed his outstanding blend of playmaking and his scoring package.

“Just playmaking for others, I’m a really good passer and when I need to attack and score, I can do that,” Proctor described of his game.

On Friday morning, Proctor displayed his tremendous feel, vision, passing ability and craftiness to create for his teammates to start.

As a primary ball-handler and decision-maker, it was clear that Proctor was one of the best in the class and then on Sunday at the NBA Academy Games it was his scoring that shined, showing the ability to pull-up with range and score out of ball-screens.

His blend of size, feel and skillset, Proctor is a highly impressive prospect that projects as one of the best players in the class who would likely receive a five-star rating upon his decision to attend college.

High majors with knowledge of the international landscape understand that as well and several are in pursuit of the premier talent.

“It’s crazy but it’s good," he said of his recruitment. "Arizona, Tennessee, Saint Mary’s a whole bunch of schools. Just trying to focus on my game right now and that’ll come.”

The Aussie standout further discussed where things stand with those three programs.

Arizona: “Tommy [Lloyd] and the coaching staff have been really good to me. They’ve been guiding me through their offense and stuff, just getting to know the program a little bit.”

St. Mary’s: “Randy [Bennett] is a good guy, great program there and just happy to be recruited by them.”

Tennessee: “I just started talking to them so it’s been good.”

Similar to another NBA Global Academy prospect that is at Tennessee, Santiago Vescovi, Proctor could reclassify to the 2022 class but he remains undecided if that is the route he will take.

“I’m not sure yet, it’s up in the air, I’m not too sure right now," he said on the possibility of going 2022.

As with many international prospects, you also have to gauge the interest and likelihood a prospect is to attend college and right now Proctor has his eyes set on a pathway.

“I am pretty set on college right now,” he said.

He has no timeframe on coming to a decision but does know what he is looking for in a school.

“Just team basketball is what I would like to play, a winning culture, just a great group of guys that I can work around and help win,” he said.
Given 247Sports policy on international prospects, Proctor will not be ranked until he makes his college decision but when he does, he has the potential to be slotted in the top tier of the class.
-Branham

Arizona may be tough to beat out with Tommy Lloyd, he has tons of international connections, but sounds like we will have a chance.

Sounds like this one needs to play out for another year. I'm not sure he's had time to get to know us yet. Seems like another really good culture fit though.

updated…

#4 Kwame Evans Jr.
#7 Omaha Biliew
#8 Justin Edwards
#10 GG Jackson
#18 Mikey Williams
#26 Sam Walters
#60 Cade Phillips-OV & UOV
#62 Blue Cain-UOV
#66 Jacolb Cole
#67 Cameron Barnes
#123 Papa Kante