2023 Recruiting

Notre Dame pulled in a very good class this year signing Hannah Hildago one of the best point guards in the class along with Prosper and Risch. Your talking about number 5, 16, and 20 which is certainly a top ten class this year.

Probably better than top 10. The methodology for ranking recruiting classes in basketball is flawed. Probably even more so in WBB because a lot of the rankings are pure politics. Really. They all are. But if one team gets two of the consensus 10 best players. And then gets a 3rd that might be top 25 they are going to be ranked behind a school that signed 5 recruits ranging from say 39 to 62. The team getting the really elite players are going to be better.

You have to get the difference makers along with the solid prospects. Its the difference between South Carolina and a Michigan.

If that’s how you two interpret a statement on a message forum; it shows your lack of comprehension skills.
I’m supporting a collegiate athletic program. We as in the fans that have the common sense to know recruiting is recruiting. We as in the fans that knew Tennessee could and would recruit/sign elite HS talent.
But my life doesn’t revolve around it like some of you it seems(inference)…
Don't get " in your feelings"!!!

Thanks. If we intentionally cut down the number of players we would take because of the pipe dream of having WNBA bound players use their Covid year then that was a really, really poor decision. If they decide to stay then there are other ways to make sure you have enough spots.

But it sure seems like we went after a lot more players than indicated and just got eliminated by them.

Thanks. If we intentionally cut down the number of players we would take because of the pipe dream of having WNBA bound players use their Covid year then that was a really, really poor decision. If they decide to stay then there are other ways to make sure you have enough spots.

But it sure seems like we went after a lot more players than indicated and just got eliminated by them.
Part of the problem is the transfers were able to sign during the summer months well before most of the commitments from high school players. The top transfer class along with a sophomore class that showed talent could have dissuaded some of the players. Specially if they were promised minutes at another school.

Yeah, I think the last 4 were the ones that were left after all the other targets eliminated Tennessee. I also can't imagine why Kellie would think that 3 players who are all good enough to be top 10 draft picks would stay for a 5th year, unless they explicitly already communicated that to her.

Part of the problem is the transfers were able to sign during the summer months well before most of the commitments from high school players. The top transfer class along with a sophomore class that showed talent could have dissuaded some of the players. Specially if they were promised minutes at another school.
The transfer class shouldn't have made a difference for '23, because 2 of them were 1-year players, 1 would be a sr. when they enter as freshmen, and the other a junior. Most freshmen (unless they are a "can't miss" superstar) don't start right off the bat if there is similarly talented experience ahead of them. I mean, SC's logjam at the post positions didn't stop them from signing one of the best freshmen posts this year.

If the '23 prospects looked at the '21 class and was afraid to compete against them, I don't know what to say. They probably wouldn't have been good enough to elevate Tennessee where Kellie wants to take the program.

Staff had to narrow a vision on recruiting think because she visited 6 times they thought Booker was certainly a Lady Vol. Even two or three posters in the know said no way Nichols would pick Kansas over Tennessee even though she lived just 40 miles from that campus. Then ADR and Velez looked solid until something weird happened with Mulkey keep hearing big money for both, and they were suddenly gone. Staff put to much focus on these four players and ended up with none. We have nine returnees, but it is obvious to see that were going to need at least two elites out of the portal to stay anywhere near the top of the SEC. I am beginning to think if the NIL money is right Jordan Horston and Tamari Key may return for a fifth season. I have no feeling that Jackson will do so. If all three leave then the portal has to be another homerun and hopefully this time none will be injured or lacking defensive skills.

Staff had to narrow a vision on recruiting think because she visited 6 times they thought Booker was certainly a Lady Vol. Even two or three posters in the know said no way Nichols would pick Kansas over Tennessee even though she lived just 40 miles from that campus. Then ADR and Velez looked solid until something weird happened with Mulkey keep hearing big money for both, and they were suddenly gone. Staff put to much focus on these four players and ended up with none. We have nine returnees, but it is obvious to see that were going to need at least two elites out of the portal to stay anywhere near the top of the SEC. I am beginning to think if the NIL money is right Jordan Horston and Tamari Key may return for a fifth season. I have no feeling that Jackson will do so. If all three leave then the portal has to be another homerun and hopefully this time none will be injured or lacking defensive skills.

Sounds about right. Need to keep our options open better.

A lot of recruits stayed closer to home this season. Not the rule, but I think a lot of them saw the trend of transfers going back closer to home and decided to just stay close to start with.

I don’t think Mulkey ever wanted Velez. I think they offered Velez more than she was worth to get ADR in the package deal. Won’t be shocked at all if Velez ends up in the portal as a freshman. Truly think they were only interested in ADR but hooked the small fish to catch the big one.

“None of the sophomores are playing significant minutes. Hollingshead has played the most at 10.3 minutes per game, but Karoline Striplin hasn't played yet this season.
If that trend continues, the portal could hold some appeal for players. Or they may not be prepared for starting roles next season if the senior trio of starters leaves.”

This was a concerning quote in the article to me. What happens next year if you fail in the portal and Horston, Key, and Jackson leave?

“None of the sophomores are playing significant minutes. Hollingshead has played the most at 10.3 minutes per game, but Karoline Striplin hasn't played yet this season.
If that trend continues, the portal could hold some appeal for players. Or they may not be prepared for starting roles next season if the senior trio of starters leaves.”

This was a concerning quote in the article to me. What happens next year if you fail in the portal and Horston, Key, and Jackson leave?
No choice but to play the players we have and hope for the best, but I was thinking about that as well. Imagine if that happens and the tone of this board next year. 🥴

You make a great point about put the staff putting to much focus on the four players good call.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
No choice but to play the players we have and hope for the best, but I was thinking about that as well. Imagine if that happens and the tone of this board next year. 🥴

It would be almost impossible not to change coaches if that were to happen. Kellie came in with a fully stocked cupboard and would be leaving an empty one so White's job would be very difficult in that scenario.

Yeah, I think the last 4 were the ones that were left after all the other targets eliminated Tennessee. I also can't imagine why Kellie would think that 3 players who are all good enough to be top 10 draft picks would stay for a 5th year, unless they explicitly already communicated that to her.

Exactly. Harper knows her players but than we do--but the chances of Horston, Jackson and Key staying another year are surely low. And that makes Harper's gamble seem not very wise. Key might stay--I don't think she's athletic enough to play in the WNBA---but the other two? Harper will have to hit another home run with transfers or she will be in serious roster trouble.

It would be almost impossible not to change coaches if that were to happen. Kellie came in with a fully stocked cupboard and would be leaving an empty one so White's job would be very difficult in that scenario.
I was thinking that earlier today. The article also talked about this scenario and how it would be hard for TN to keep up in the SEC (let alone nationally) with many other programs landing top 25 rated classes. However, a lot of it will depend on this season. Hard to imagine a change if this years team made a run to the final four.

Exactly. Harper knows her players but than we do--but the chances of Horston, Jackson and Key staying another year are surely low. And that makes Harper's gamble seem not very wise. Key might stay--I don't think she's athletic enough to play in the WNBA---but the other two? Harper will have to hit another home run with transfers or she will be in serious roster trouble.

Maybe, maybe not. She'll for sure have a nucleus of Hollingshead (lots of potential there), Puckett, Suarez, Pissott, Powell, Tess Darby, (a veteran team) (and anyone who stays of the Key, Jordy, Rickea triad) and depth of Miles, Wynn, and Striplin. That's a good starting point. Add from the portal and she might have a real good team.

Maybe, maybe not. She'll for sure have a nucleus of Hollingshead (lots of potential there), Puckett, Suarez, Pissott, Powell, Tess Darby, (a veteran team) (and anyone who stays of the Key, Jordy, Rickea triad) and depth of Miles, Wynn, and Striplin. That's a good starting point. Add from the portal and she might have a real good team.
It is a good start but easy to see you need a power center and a very good additional type player similar to Jackson or Horston. Definitely not impossible to find and believe we will find them. If we don't find them I think you have a team that is capable of finishing in the top part of the SEC but way behind SC and LSU. If we get two players like I mentioned you can still plug in Powell, Pissott, and others and be an elite team not just a good one. Actually could be better than this team as some of the players to this point of only three games are really underachieving their ability.

I am beginning to think that as long as we win 20 games and make the NCAA the job is safe. Seems to be that were more inclined to throw all the money into football and that were not looking to pay real big money for a women's basketball coach. So even if we did make a change I would look for it to again be a coach that has done well at a lower level basketball school. I don't think were paying almost three million a season like SC, Texas, Louisville, and a few others.

VN Store

Back