2023 Recruiting

Volfan2012

Exactly. Harper knows her players but than we do--but the chances of Horston, Jackson and Key staying another year are surely low. And that makes Harper's gamble seem not very wise. Key might stay--I don't think she's athletic enough to play in the WNBA---but the other two? Harper will have to hit another home run with transfers or she will be in serious roster trouble.
I would say Key is much more likely than the other two by far. She is not listed in the first round right now of the WNBA because it is going to be one of the strongest drafts ever. Jackson is not staying JMO, Horston hard to say if she was making enough NIL money she might be willing to bypass another year. The scary part to me is they all three leave and Powell changes her mind about leaving. She could easily decide to do that if something better came along.

37620VOL

Barely-Known Member
WBB is going to be "different". It's different because it's possible that by staying in college at a place like Tennessee, they can make double or triple or more than what they can make in the W. The first 4 picks only make $70k, right? The current highest-paid player makes $230k annually. The league avg appears to be about $125k and the minimum appears to be about $60k. Plus, I assume the league does not cover off-season training, diet, or nutrition. To become a top player for most women will require doing this out of pocket.

If I'm a LV, I stay as long as I can. I milk the NIL for all it's worth, trying to make at least $100k NIL. Add to that the roughly $50k in benefits from a full-ride scholarship and additional athletic, training, nutrition, and medical benefits, and yeah, I'm staying as long as I can. If I bankroll as much as I can, maybe I can avoid the grind of playing overseas in my early years in the W and I obtain multiple highly respected degrees and connections in Knoxville in case basketball opportunities end sooner than expected.

And1

WBB is going to be "different". It's different because it's possible that by staying in college at a place like Tennessee, they can make double or triple or more than what they can make in the W. The first 4 picks only make $70k, right? The current highest-paid player makes $230k annually. The league avg appears to be about $125k and the minimum appears to be about $60k. Plus, I assume the league does not cover off-season training, diet, or nutrition. To become a top player for most women will require doing this out of pocket.

If I'm a LV, I stay as long as I can. I milk the NIL for all it's worth, trying to make at least $100k NIL. Add to that the roughly $50k in benefits from a full-ride scholarship and additional athletic, training, nutrition, and medical benefits, and yeah, I'm staying as long as I can. If I bankroll as much as I can, maybe I can avoid the grind of playing overseas in my early years in the W and I obtain multiple highly respected degrees and connections in Knoxville in case basketball opportunities end sooner than expected.
It will soon no longer be much of an issue, because the only reason this is in the conversation right now is because of the extra COVID year. Once that goes away, the only players in the situation of deciding to stay or leave will be those that turn 22 during the year of the draft, which shouldn't happen too often.

luballer

After what Rennia went through, I could see them seriously considering a return to Tennessee to take advantage of NIL. Ashley Joens returned to Iowa State so maybe we will get lucky and they all return. Until some of the older players in the WNBA start retiring or they add more roster spots, it’s very difficult to make a team.

37620VOL

Barely-Known Member
After what Rennia went through, I could see them seriously considering a return to Tennessee to take advantage of NIL. Ashley Joens returned to Iowa State so maybe we will get lucky and they all return. Until some of the older players in the WNBA start retiring or they add more roster spots, it’s very difficult to make a team.
That's a really good point

Voluble2

Depends on what they can make in endorsements in the WNBA and what they can make playing overseas. But it certainly becomes much more attractive to stay in college, especially for the less than elite players.

And Griner's situation has to make playing in some countries much less appealing now.

turbovol

Well, I'm sorry if this sounds pessimistic, but if Horston and Jackson leave we will very likely be b-a-d next year. Harper will probably sign two
or more transfers, but there's little chance they'll be as talented as those two.

VolBall09

Still a good chance there will be some de-commits and shuffling around IMO.

As far as players in the portal already….Tamia Ware is worth a long, hard look. She’s small but feisty and a good decision maker. Just not enough minutes at LSU for her with Flaujae.

I suspect Kendall Hunter will be in the portal outta Texas also. She is a dynamite shooter who can really play. If she transfers I hope we have her visit at least.

Guard play is still our bugaboo. Powell will come along I really think, but she hasn’t sorted it out yet. She’s either too aggressive and calls her own number too much or she’s too passive. Need her to score when she can and distribute in transition.

Miles is a very good defender but I don’t see her ever being a big time offensive threat. So we really need a player or two who can run the floor, shoot from outside and handle the ball.

Walker IMO has topped off. She’s shown what she can bring and she plays hard. She’s just limited athletically with her knee and does not get enough lift on her shot from outside. Love the kid and love her heart, but against better competition she just doesn’t have what we need.

Last edited:

krichunaka

Probably pick up a couple from the portal in the spring. Any chance of picking up a sleeper similar to the Darby sisters. What about Lyndie Ramsey of Unaka. 6'0" guard with more athleticism than Tess. High volume scorer.
Thanks so much for mentioning our sensational, three time All-State, 2022 Miss Basketball Finalist, Lyndie Ramsey! I should fairly mention …Unaka is not very good this season (sorry, ladies). Also, Lyndie has been fighting illness since mid-summer; and, in fact, she could certainly use our prayers. And while Johnson County is not one of the better teams around, last night’s spectacular, FORTY-NINE POINT performance was one for the ages.
Go, Lady Rangers!
Go, Lady Vols.
And, Go, Lyndie!

Volfan2012

Probably pick up a couple from the portal in the spring. Any chance of picking up a sleeper similar to the Darby sisters. What about Lyndie Ramsey of Unaka. 6'0" guard with more athleticism than Tess. High volume scorer.
Type of player that Indiana and a couple others recruit and turn into star players. Very thin player right now, but she has good size at 6'0' and could see her being a factor for someone as she develops strength and hopefully gains a little weight.

VN Store