2023 Recruiting

Players want to go where the program are winners. After a sweet sixteen visit this year ! The first time to go this far for over six years ! And this is Kellie’s third year….. If next year is more successful……look out ! The recruiting between Justine , and now Powell and Jackson, is starting to pick up ! Everyone knows it and it’s there for all to see. Even the Nay Sayers cannot argue this point . But they will still try and bring up any negative new or old news ? It’s just not in them to have a positive thought about the Lady Vols , their players , or their coaches. . Anything they say , or clothes they wear , food they eat , or even how they breathe is not acceptable ? All years are important in recruiting…. Kellie’s first real year of recruiting was a top fifteen class , and next years Justine is a top 11 recruit plus Powell and Jackson! 2023 has us offering 6 of the top 13 ranked players! And eleven more in the top fifty ! There are probably others that we are not aware of but time will tell ? We have offered 8 in 2024 and 4 in 2025 ! I say this just to show how far out we are recruiting and these coaches are very secretive about recruiting! No one really knows the extent of the recruiting process? My suggestion is to stay tuned and come along for a good ride ! 😁
Powell and Jackson are great pickups out of the portal but my wait and see is can we get the elite to great high school players the offers are out so we will stay tuned

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
You're not wrong. To Kellie's credit, hitting the portal put them in great shape for next season, but after they likely lose Jackson, Horston, and Key... ouch. The freshman this year were, fine, but I don't see any future All-Americans in that group.

Even with her recent portal pickups, Kellie really needs to hit a homerun with the 23 class...

That was my point so if this team wants to win a NC then they better do it now with Jackson

Am I wrong or is '23 an important/very important recruiting year for us? We signed just the one player for '22, correct--another shooter in the mold, somewhat, of Darby and Puckett. Why only one? No room on roster? Snagging the Miss. State transfer was nice--a good get--but we need some blue-chip, four-year talent.

You're wrong about at least one thing: Your comparison of Pissott to Darby and Puckett. No disrespect intended to those two players, but Pissott is ranked 11th in her class, and a McDonalds All-American, and a 5 star recruit. Neither Darby or Puckett come close in their recruiting status. And Pissott is a 6-4" shooter, with a lot of upside to be both a perimeter and paint player. There is the blue-chip, 4 year talent you want.

And why do we need freshmen, anyway? Challenge your own premise. Why wouldn't a program build an entire team out of the portal? What's wrong with that? The players are experienced and you don't have to put up with freshmen learning curves. I'm just playing devil's advocate here, but I think it's a question worth asking and answering.

You're wrong about at least one thing: Your comparison of Pissott to Darby and Puckett. No disrespect intended to those two players, but Pissott is ranked 11th in her class, and a McDonalds All-American, and a 5 star recruit. Neither Darby or Puckett come close in their recruiting status. And Pissott is a 6-4" shooter, with a lot of upside to be both a perimeter and paint player. There is the blue-chip, 4 year talent you want.

And why do we need freshmen, anyway? Challenge your own premise. Why wouldn't a program build an entire team out of the portal? What's wrong with that? The players are experienced and you don't have to put up with freshmen learning curves. I'm just playing devil's advocate here, but I think it's a question worth asking and answering.
Good question. For traditionalists like me, I’m used to the old recruit them out of high school. But it appears the transfer portal has its advantages for coaches. So, whatever works, works!

Experience is good, but experience in your system is better. The longer players play together, the smoother the teamwork should be (doesn't always work that way). A program built on mostly loyal 4 year players is (I think) best, with the portal used to fill holes created by injuries, attrition, etc.

I think that's true generally, but as you say, there are exceptions: 1) Keyen Green, 2) Alexus Dye, 3) Jordan Walker. All three of those have jived with the culture, other players, and the coaches very smoothly at UT, and have contributed on the court enormously.

I think if you look at Duke this year, a team made up by mainly players out of the portal, it shows what can go wrong. That team on paper looked like it could compete with some of the top teams in the country, but just fell apart. Culture and chemistry is built over time and 1 year players don't really provide that.

Not very up to date chart lol don’t see RJ
he only does it like once a month and she committed after he had just finished updating. We only have one scholarship unless someone leaves by May 1st. He also does have not the little covid mark by any of the many players eligible to return.

Last edited:
he only does it like once a month and she committed after he had just finished updating. We only have one scholarship unless someone leaves by May 1st. He also does not the little covid mark by any of the many players eligible to return.
i thought Jo Jo scholarship doesn’t count since she is using her COVID year. I believe that is why Stanford has so many on their roster.

i thought Jo Jo scholarship doesn’t count since she is using her COVID year. I believe that is why Stanford has so many on their roster.
You can have as many as you want this year next year everybody counts even though players can still take a covid year they still count against your 15.

I can assure you its not up to date. Saunders is in the portal.

well-bye.gif

Hopefully, Saunders entering her name in the portal is not the driver for seeking another post player. If Saunders was staying, we would need another post player. All though technically Key has two more years, with her height and length, she will be gone next year. Tennesse can not risk bringing in a Freshman (next year) to replace her. If we do that we may not be competitive and the program will take a step backwards. Waiting until next year to find an experienced 6'6" or 6' 5" rim protector in the portaI is nonsense.

If this season's injuries have taught us anything it's that you can't have enough players (that you trust) when the game is on the line. You have 15 scholarships... use them!

I understand as fans we get attached to players. But this is big girl basketball. If you are unable to help the team then by definition you are...well...not helping the team.

Jackson's commitment changes expectations. In my opinion we need two players...a rim protector and a 6' foot guard who has a great handle and is tall enough to make entry passes to the post. As a fan I am tired of getting close and then having an injury derails us. My fatigue turns to frustration when I remember we have two scholarships open or have players on the bench that we can"t trust in the clutch.

I hope about 500 people post this meme the long-overdue day your sorry rear gets kicked off this forum.

I don't know whether bad life experiences turned you into the thing you are or if you just developed your ugly shtick naturally, but you are a total waste of everyone's time.

Emily and the Saunders family deserve this forum's support. You don't deserve an ounce of consideration from any Tennessee fan or the administrators. Hopefully, enough people report this trash so that you get what you deserve.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back