2023 Depth Chart

Last year’s top OT backup was Dayne Davis. The bodies behind Campbell are better quality. We’re not that far removed from Cade Mays being the only option and he was out of position. This stretches back four HC’s. We’d have a decent starter but the backup didn’t have even potential of being a viable player. Last season we vexed over Wright moving back to his natural position and Mincey/Crawford were exemplary on the blind side. Why? Because Ellarbee can get performance out of potential. OL is absolutely no worry for me…other than getting some young guys adequate snaps so they don’t portal.

I think we are fine at OT, its LB I am scared about.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
The addition of Jeudy-Lally feels like the last one from the portal, at least until after Spring (although I could see a transfer QB come in to be the 3rd string guy). So I thought I'd take another stab at the 2023 depth chart. By my count, we have 86 scholarship players at the moment, but that's counting DeSean Bishop as a scholarship player. There seems to be some conflicting reports about that.

Some of these guys will play multiple positions, so their position on this depth chart may not accurately reflect how much PT they'll get. For example, I think Josephs and Pearce will both get bigger, stronger, make a big jump, and be studs at the LEO spot, bumping Harrison down to 3rd. But Harrison will also play a lot on the other side, especially in pass rush situations. In fact, Banks often puts 3 DEs on the field for pass rush situations, so you might see Josephs, Pearce, and Harrison on the field at the same time. Same with Dont'e Thornton. He'll play both slot and outside WR. Crawford can play RT or LT and is probably the top backup at both. And of course, Cam Seldon will be a weapon utilized in different roles.

Of course, we really don't know what to expect from the freshmen until later. We'll see how they do in Spring and Fall camps. Maybe one or both of the outside freshman CBs impress. Maybe Hobbs can't be kept off the field. But for now, with a few exceptions (i.e., Arion Carter, Jordan Matthews, Ricky Gibson), I was pretty conservative in my placement of the freshmen on the depth chart.

Lastly, we will obviously see some guys depart after spring. I'm guessing a CB or two leaves (Hadden?). Maybe a DT who isn't getting PT. Maybe even a Safety (McCollough, if gets passed on the depth chart?). But that said, I think this 2-deep looks REALLY good. The 2nd team at almost every position is as good as its been in many, many years. We're getting top tier SEC depth now. And with this coaching staff, it'll be fun to watch who develops. Think about how much guys like Beasley, Wright, Small, Warren, Spraggins, Mays, Keyton, Baron, Thomas, etc. have improved under this staff. Now imagine that same improvement with guys like Josephs, Pearce, McCoy, Sampson, Mincey, Walker, Slaughter, and others. On top of that, so many of the top freshmen are already enrolled, developing and getting coached up to be ready by September. Lots to be excited about.

QB- Joe Milton (RSSr.), Nico Iamaleava (Fr.)

RB- Jaylen Wright (Jr.), Jabari Small (Sr.), Dylan Sampson (So.), Cameron Seldon (Fr.), Khalifa Keith (Fr.), DeSean Bishop (Fr.)

WR- Bru McCoy (RSJr.), Kaleb Webb (So.), Nate Spillman (Fr.)

WR- Ramel Keyton (Sr.), Chas Nimrod (So.), Nathan Leacock (Fr.)

WR- Squirrel White (So.), Dont’e Thornton (Jr.)

TE- Jacob Warren (RSSr.), McCallan Castles (Sr.), Ethan Davis (Fr.)

RT- John Campbell (RSSr.), Dayne Davis (RSSr.), Larry Johnson, III (RSSo.), Shamurad Umarov (Fr.)

RG- Javontez Spraggins (Sr.), Masai Reddick (RSFr.), Vysen Lang (Fr.), Ayden Bussell (Fr.)

C- Cooper Mays (Sr.), Addison Nichols (RSFr.), Jackson Lampley (RSJr.)

LG- Andrej Karic (So.), Ollie Lane (RSSr.), Maurice Clipper, Jr. (RSFr.)

LT- Gerald Mincey (RSJr.), Jeremiah Crawford (Sr.), Brian Grant (RSFr.)

SDE- Tyler Baron (Sr.), Tyre West (So.), Dominic Bailey (RSJr.), Daevin Hobbs (Fr.), Nathan Robinson (Fr.)

DT- Bryson Eason (Sr.), Da’Jon Terry (RSSr.), Kurot Garland (RSSr.), Tyree Weathersby (Fr.), Trevor Duncan, (Fr.)

DT- Omari Thomas (Sr.), Omar Norman-Lott (RSSr.), Elijah Simmons (RSSr.), Amari McNeil (RSSo.), Jayson Jenkins (RSFr.)

LEO- Joshua Josephs (So.), James Pearce (So.), Roman Harrison (Sr.), Caleb Herring (Fr.), Chandavian Bradley (Fr.)

MIKE- Keenan Pili (Sr.), Elijah Herring (So.), Jeremiah Telendar (Fr.), Kwauze Garland (RSSr.)

WLB- Aaron Beasley (Sr.), Arion Carter (Fr.), Kaleb Perry (RSFr.), Jalen Smith (Fr.)

LCB- Gabe Jeudy-Lally (RSSr.), Jordan Matthews (Fr.), Christian Charles (Jr.), Kamal Hadden (RSSr.)

RCB- Warren Burrell (Sr.), Rickey Gibson (Fr.), De’Shawn Rucker (Jr.), Dee Williams (Sr.)

NB- Tamarion McDonald (Sr.), Brandon Turnage (RSJr.), Christian Harrison (RSFr.), Christian Conyer (Fr.)

S- Doneiko Slaughter (Sr.), Jaylen McCollough (Sr.), Andre Turrentine (RSSo.), Cameron Miller (RSFr.)

S- Wesley Walker (RSJr.), Jourdan Thomas (So.), John Slaughter (Fr.), Jack Luttrell (Fr.)

K- Charles Campbell (Sr.)

P- Jackson Ross (So.)

KR- Squirrel White (So.)

PR- Dee Williams (Sr.)

LS- Matthew Salansky (RSSr.)*

86 on scholarship

*Non-scholarship player

Senior QB and LB are key components for championship run.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
Last year’s top OT backup was Dayne Davis. The bodies behind Campbell are better quality. We’re not that far removed from Cade Mays being the only option and he was out of position. This stretches back four HC’s. We’d have a decent starter but the backup didn’t have even potential of being a viable player. Last season we vexed over Wright moving back to his natural position and Mincey/Crawford were exemplary on the blind side. Why? Because Ellarbee can get performance out of potential. OL is absolutely no worry for me…other than getting some young guys adequate snaps so they don’t portal.
We can agree to disagree.

Reactions: murfvol1
Spring and Fall camp should be really interesting. So refreshing to have a full on competition at virtually every position
Agree! Our roster is finally looking like a legit upper tier SEC team. Competition everywhere with a nice mix of veterans and young talent. I believe Heupel and staff are doing a great job with the portal. I really like the experience they are bringing to help the youth.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Am I the only one who thinks this roster is better than 22?

I think I am right there with you. I don't expect Milton to be as efficient at QB compared to HH, but he can still be really good. I personally believe that Heupel is going to have UT reloading every year sooner rather than later similar to other successful programs in the top ten.

Reactions: Vol8188
I've been telling everyone I know this since the bowl game!

I love our additions. I think the secondary should be improved. I like our LBs more. We have the same DTs and SDE + additions. We are young at WDE but very talented (that may be the only drop off on D).

On offense I love our WRs and since Tillman didn’t play most of the year, I think they’ll be even if not better than last year. RBs are the same guys + additions so they should be better. Offensive line is mainly returning + great additions. TE may be the only drop off on offense.

It’s nice to be excited again

No. I think the roster is improving overall, too. HH is a challenge to replace but if Milton is who we saw in the Orange Bowl, there is a chance he will actually be an improvement over HH. With our defensive improvements, I expect our team to be more balanced. Not ready to make a prediction, yet but very excited about the 23 season.

Elijah Simmons
Time to throw off that Junkyard Dog chain and step up.
I really did not expect him to have such a Where's Waldo career up to this point.

Agree. And he sure isn’t going to be ahead of Amari McNeil who had a really nice season on D line last year. He and Omari Thomas will be sharing most of the snaps.

No. I think the roster is improving overall, too. HH is a challenge to replace but if Milton is who we saw in the Orange Bowl, there is a chance he will actually be an improvement over HH. With our defensive improvements, I expect our team to be more balanced. Not ready to make a prediction, yet but very excited about the 23 season.

Same. The problem with predictions is just the number of variables. We can be a better team, have 0 injuries, and still go 8-4 depending on how everything falls.

Reactions: murfvol1 and McDad
Same. The problem with predictions is just the number of variables. We can be a better team, have 0 injuries, and still go 8-4 depending on how everything falls.
Very true. And the big 3 are STILL the big 3...although UF has lost some of it's intimidation. Combine that reality with some bad weather, bad bounces, bad calls, and a prediction is challenging.

We are getting better and should expect better this year., though.

Why? Our best is returning with Beasley. We landed BYU’s starter. Eli Herring and Kalib Perry will be ready to fight for snaps and we have three beast true freshmen coming up hot.

Starter at BYU doesn't mean starter in SEC. I am hopeful, but still worried. The freshman look good, but still young. Just my biggest worry.

No, because the D is on the come up.

Heupfully the OL gels by August because the running game could take a serious leap forward IMO. I'm still not expecting Joe to have Hooker numbers, but man if he does, lookout SEC, because the D is going to get a lot better IMO, especially in the secondary.

There's going to be a lot of competition and forcible maturing real fast in the D backfield. I wouldn't doubt we see some attrition after the spring because of it. I would bet money Heup and Co are already emphasising it this offseason.

Reactions: Vfl2407 and Vol8188
Starter at BYU doesn't mean starter in SEC. I am hopeful, but still worried. The freshman look good, but still young. Just my biggest worry.
Fair enough. How about improvement on Mitchell while others develop? Best state we’ve been in that position group in forever.

No, because the D is on the come up.

Heupfully the OL gels by August because the running game could take a serious leap forward IMO. I'm still not expecting Joe to have Hooker numbers, but man if he does, lookout SEC, because the D is going to get a lot better IMO, especially in the secondary.

There's going to be a lot of competition and forcible maturing real fast in the D backfield. I wouldn't doubt we see some attrition after the spring because of it. I would bet money Heup and Co are already emphasising it this offseason.
I gave you a like for the word Heupfully. That needs to be trademarked and put on tshirts.

Reactions: VOLfrombama

8-4 means something went completely wrong imo.

8-4 means something went completely wrong imo.

Bama, Georgia, A&M, Florida, SC are all good enough to beat us. Doesn’t mean we should predict loses to all of those, but it does mean they’re all possible. You can’t predict things like dropped balls, fumbles, tipped balls, pass interference calls, etc.

Or think of how important a well thrown deep ball is in any game. That could easily be the difference in 7 points. And even the best QBs are probably hitting those around 50% of the time. What happens if their QB goes 3/3 on them?

So it’s easy to have a wide margin of error in any one game.

Reactions: PEPPERJAX
Bama, Georgia, A&M, Florida, SC are all good enough to beat us. Doesn’t mean we should predict loses to all of those, but it does mean they’re all possible. You can’t predict things like dropped balls, fumbles, tipped balls, pass interference calls, etc.

Or think of how important a well thrown deep ball is in any game. That could easily be the difference in 7 points. And even the best QBs are probably hitting those around 50% of the time. What happens if their QB goes 3/3 on them?

So it’s easy to have a wide margin of error in any one game.
I personally believe that UT’s roster is better than everyone else on our schedule with the exception of UGA and Bama.

I personally believe that UT’s roster is better than everyone else on our schedule with the exception of UGA and Bama.

With the exception of A&M, I agree with you. Talent and coaching are the biggest factors in determining outcome and I like where we stand in both. But luck/chance is for sure a part of any game. And any team that’s decently close to you talent wise (SC last season, or our Bama win) can win if enough things go right.

Reactions: PEPPERJAX
With the exception of A&M, I agree with you. Talent and coaching are the biggest factors in determining outcome and I like where we stand in both. But luck/chance is for sure a part of any game. And any team that’s decently close to you talent wise (SC last season, or our Bama win) can win if enough things go right.

A&M has the star power but I believe Jimbo lost whatever coaching mojo he had a few years ago.

VN Store

Back