2023 Depth Chart

I Suspect Norman-Lott was brought in to start opposite Omari. Hopefully he is a legit starter opposed to the rotation of journeymen we had this year next to Big O.

I Suspect Norman-Lott was brought in to start opposite Omari. Hopefully he is a legit starter opposed to the rotation of journeymen we had this year next to Big O.

I think you’re discounting Eason and Terry. Those guys are good players. Eason especially came on at the end. But again…regardless of who starts, there’s gonna be great depth.

I would bet anything McCullough will start at safety.. Don't believe he would have been back without that being the case....

He may end up starting, but I don’t think he’s been promised anything. There will be competition at every position, including Safety. It’s not like the coaches really had to promise him anything to get him to come back. His other option was retiring from football.

He may end up starting, but I don’t think he’s been promised anything. There will be competition at every position, including Safety. It’s not like the coaches really had to promise him anything to get him to come back. His other option was retiring from football.

I don't think he was promised anything either.. I think Banks leans on experience a lot though.. its what he is comfortable with...

The addition of Jeudy-Lally feels like the last one from the portal, at least until after Spring (although I could see a transfer QB come in to be the 3rd string guy). So I thought I'd take another stab at the 2023 depth chart. By my count, we have 86 scholarship players at the moment, but that's counting DeSean Bishop as a scholarship player. There seems to be some conflicting reports about that.

Some of these guys will play multiple positions, so their position on this depth chart may not accurately reflect how much PT they'll get. For example, I think Josephs and Pearce will both get bigger, stronger, make a big jump, and be studs at the LEO spot, bumping Harrison down to 3rd. But Harrison will also play a lot on the other side, especially in pass rush situations. In fact, Banks often puts 3 DEs on the field for pass rush situations, so you might see Josephs, Pearce, and Harrison on the field at the same time. Same with Dont'e Thornton. He'll play both slot and outside WR. Crawford can play RT or LT and is probably the top backup at both. And of course, Cam Seldon will be a weapon utilized in different roles.

Of course, we really don't know what to expect from the freshmen until later. We'll see how they do in Spring and Fall camps. Maybe one or both of the outside freshman CBs impress. Maybe Hobbs can't be kept off the field. But for now, with a few exceptions (i.e., Arion Carter, Jordan Matthews, Ricky Gibson), I was pretty conservative in my placement of the freshmen on the depth chart.

Lastly, we will obviously see some guys depart after spring. I'm guessing a CB or two leaves (Hadden?). Maybe a DT who isn't getting PT. Maybe even a Safety (McCollough, if gets passed on the depth chart?). But that said, I think this 2-deep looks REALLY good. The 2nd team at almost every position is as good as its been in many, many years. We're getting top tier SEC depth now. And with this coaching staff, it'll be fun to watch who develops. Think about how much guys like Beasley, Wright, Small, Warren, Spraggins, Mays, Keyton, Baron, Thomas, etc. have improved under this staff. Now imagine that same improvement with guys like Josephs, Pearce, McCoy, Sampson, Mincey, Walker, Slaughter, and others. On top of that, so many of the top freshmen are already enrolled, developing and getting coached up to be ready by September. Lots to be excited about.

QB- Joe Milton (RSSr.), Nico Iamaleava (Fr.)

RB- Jaylen Wright (Jr.), Jabari Small (Sr.), Dylan Sampson (So.), Cameron Seldon (Fr.), Khalifa Keith (Fr.), DeSean Bishop (Fr.)

WR- Bru McCoy (RSJr.), Kaleb Webb (So.), Nate Spillman (Fr.)

WR- Ramel Keyton (Sr.), Chas Nimrod (So.), Nathan Leacock (Fr.)

WR- Squirrel White (So.), Dont’e Thornton (Jr.)

TE- Jacob Warren (RSSr.), McCallan Castles (Sr.), Ethan Davis (Fr.)

RT- John Campbell (RSSr.), Dayne Davis (RSSr.), Larry Johnson, III (RSSo.), Shamurad Umarov (Fr.)

RG- Javontez Spraggins (Sr.), Masai Reddick (RSFr.), Vysen Lang (Fr.), Ayden Bussell (Fr.)

C- Cooper Mays (Sr.), Addison Nichols (RSFr.), Jackson Lampley (RSJr.)

LG- Andrej Karic (So.), Ollie Lane (RSSr.), Maurice Clipper, Jr. (RSFr.)

LT- Gerald Mincey (RSJr.), Jeremiah Crawford (Sr.), Brian Grant (RSFr.)

SDE- Tyler Baron (Sr.), Tyre West (So.), Dominic Bailey (RSJr.), Daevin Hobbs (Fr.), Nathan Robinson (Fr.)

DT- Bryson Eason (Sr.), Da’Jon Terry (RSSr.), Kurot Garland (RSSr.), Tyree Weathersby (Fr.), Trevor Duncan, (Fr.)

DT- Omari Thomas (Sr.), Omar Norman-Lott (RSSr.), Elijah Simmons (RSSr.), Amari McNeil (RSSo.), Jayson Jenkins (RSFr.)

LEO- Joshua Josephs (So.), James Pearce (So.), Roman Harrison (Sr.), Caleb Herring (Fr.), Chandavian Bradley (Fr.)

MIKE- Keenan Pili (Sr.), Elijah Herring (So.), Jeremiah Telendar (Fr.), Kwauze Garland (RSSr.)

WLB- Aaron Beasley (Sr.), Arion Carter (Fr.), Kaleb Perry (RSFr.), Jalen Smith (Fr.)

LCB- Gabe Jeudy-Lally (RSSr.), Jordan Matthews (Fr.), Christian Charles (Jr.), Kamal Hadden (RSSr.)

RCB- Warren Burrell (Sr.), Rickey Gibson (Fr.), De’Shawn Rucker (Jr.), Dee Williams (Sr.)

NB- Tamarion McDonald (Sr.), Brandon Turnage (RSJr.), Christian Harrison (RSFr.), Christian Conyer (Fr.)

S- Doneiko Slaughter (Sr.), Jaylen McCollough (Sr.), Andre Turrentine (RSSo.), Cameron Miller (RSFr.)

S- Wesley Walker (RSJr.), Jourdan Thomas (So.), John Slaughter (Fr.), Jack Luttrell (Fr.)

K- Charles Campbell (Sr.)

P- Jackson Ross (So.)

KR- Squirrel White (So.)

PR- Dee Williams (Sr.)

LS- Matthew Salansky (RSSr.)*

86 on scholarship

*Non-scholarship player
Good write-up!! I feel good about QB (except depth in event of injuries), feel good about RB and WR room. Even our OL has depth and very interested to see how much Nichols has developed at center or guard. TE room is okay but also worry in event of injuries.

DL gets interesting. If our incoming players at DE are as good as the ratings indicate and gain size I wouldn’t be shocked if guys like West and Bailey move to DT more permanently and push a couple of existing backup DTs to look elsewhere. I see you had Weathersby as a DT. I thought he was more of a SDE as well unless he has gained more size than what he was previously listed. LB room is rock solid. Have a ton of DBs but need another corner. I would bet that our frosh DBs make a few backups consider other alternatives as well.

Overall, we will remain balanced offensively and explosive. Defensively, our run defense is already stout and won’t lose a step. If we improve our pass rush with only 4 lineman, and solidify corner positions, we could have a major improvement. Get more stops and create more possessions for our offense, we very well may continue to average more than 40 PPG. I like it and will drink the orange Kool Aid. Heupel has proven himself to develop QBs and he has a lot to work with in Milton or Nico.

The addition of Jeudy-Lally feels like the last one from the portal, at least until after Spring (although I could see a transfer QB come in to be the 3rd string guy). So I thought I'd take another stab at the 2023 depth chart. By my count, we have 86 scholarship players at the moment, but that's counting DeSean Bishop as a scholarship player. There seems to be some conflicting reports about that.

Some of these guys will play multiple positions, so their position on this depth chart may not accurately reflect how much PT they'll get. For example, I think Josephs and Pearce will both get bigger, stronger, make a big jump, and be studs at the LEO spot, bumping Harrison down to 3rd. But Harrison will also play a lot on the other side, especially in pass rush situations. In fact, Banks often puts 3 DEs on the field for pass rush situations, so you might see Josephs, Pearce, and Harrison on the field at the same time. Same with Dont'e Thornton. He'll play both slot and outside WR. Crawford can play RT or LT and is probably the top backup at both. And of course, Cam Seldon will be a weapon utilized in different roles.

Of course, we really don't know what to expect from the freshmen until later. We'll see how they do in Spring and Fall camps. Maybe one or both of the outside freshman CBs impress. Maybe Hobbs can't be kept off the field. But for now, with a few exceptions (i.e., Arion Carter, Jordan Matthews, Ricky Gibson), I was pretty conservative in my placement of the freshmen on the depth chart.

Lastly, we will obviously see some guys depart after spring. I'm guessing a CB or two leaves (Hadden?). Maybe a DT who isn't getting PT. Maybe even a Safety (McCollough, if gets passed on the depth chart?). But that said, I think this 2-deep looks REALLY good. The 2nd team at almost every position is as good as its been in many, many years. We're getting top tier SEC depth now. And with this coaching staff, it'll be fun to watch who develops. Think about how much guys like Beasley, Wright, Small, Warren, Spraggins, Mays, Keyton, Baron, Thomas, etc. have improved under this staff. Now imagine that same improvement with guys like Josephs, Pearce, McCoy, Sampson, Mincey, Walker, Slaughter, and others. On top of that, so many of the top freshmen are already enrolled, developing and getting coached up to be ready by September. Lots to be excited about.

RB- Jaylen Wright (Jr.), Jabari Small (Sr.), Dylan Sampson (So.), Cameron Seldon (Fr.), Khalifa Keith (Fr.), DeSean Bishop (Fr.)

WR- Bru McCoy (RSJr.), Kaleb Webb (So.), Nate Spillman (Fr.)

WR- Ramel Keyton (Sr.), Chas Nimrod (So.), Nathan Leacock (Fr.)

WR- Squirrel White (So.), Dont’e Thornton (Jr.)

RT- John Campbell (RSSr.), Dayne Davis (RSSr.), Larry Johnson, III (RSSo.), Shamurad Umarov (Fr.)

RG- Javontez Spraggins (Sr.), Masai Reddick (RSFr.), Vysen Lang (Fr.), Ayden Bussell (Fr.)

LG- Andrej Karic (So.), Ollie Lane (RSSr.), Maurice Clipper, Jr. (RSFr.)

SDE- Tyler Baron (Sr.), Tyre West (So.), Dominic Bailey (RSJr.), Daevin Hobbs (Fr.), Nathan Robinson (Fr.)

DT- Bryson Eason (Sr.), Da’Jon Terry (RSSr.), Kurot Garland (RSSr.), Tyree Weathersby (Fr.), Trevor Duncan, (Fr.)

DT- Omari Thomas (Sr.), Omar Norman-Lott (RSSr.), Elijah Simmons (RSSr.), Amari McNeil (RSSo.), Jayson Jenkins (RSFr.)

LEO- Joshua Josephs (So.), James Pearce (So.), Roman Harrison (Sr.), Caleb Herring (Fr.), Chandavian Bradley (Fr.)

MIKE- Keenan Pili (Sr.), Elijah Herring (So.), Jeremiah Telendar (Fr.), Kwauze Garland (RSSr.)

WLB- Aaron Beasley (Sr.), Arion Carter (Fr.), Kaleb Perry (RSFr.), Jalen Smith (Fr.)

LCB- Gabe Jeudy-Lally (RSSr.), Jordan Matthews (Fr.), Christian Charles (Jr.), Kamal Hadden (RSSr.)

RCB- Warren Burrell (Sr.), Rickey Gibson (Fr.), De’Shawn Rucker (Jr.), Dee Williams (Sr.)

NB- Tamarion McDonald (Sr.), Brandon Turnage (RSJr.), Christian Harrison (RSFr.), Christian Conyer (Fr.)

S- Doneiko Slaughter (Sr.), Jaylen McCollough (Sr.), Andre Turrentine (RSSo.), Cameron Miller (RSFr.)

S- Wesley Walker (RSJr.), Jourdan Thomas (So.), John Slaughter (Fr.), Jack Luttrell (Fr.)

K- Charles Campbell (Sr.)

P- Jackson Ross (So.)

KR- Squirrel White (So.)

PR- Dee Williams (Sr.)

86 on scholarship

*Non-scholarship player

Roman Harrison led all Dlineman with 40 tackles last season. He's not getting surpassed.
Because Byron Young is off to NFL, those snaps go to Josephs and Pearce.
Also, I think Harrison and Young played almost 100 snaps at the same time throughout the season. I could see Josephs and Pearce doing the same. I agree that both will take a jump, but I think Harrison does too.
* Jabari Small will still start, but he and Wright both get 1,000 yards rushing.

Moore (Jr)

RB- Jabari Small (Sr.), Jaylen Wright (Jr.), Dylan Sampson (So.), Cameron Seldon (Fr.), Khalifa Keith (Fr.), DeSean Bishop (Fr.)

WR- Bru McCoy (RSJr.), Donte Thornton (Jr) Kaleb Webb (RsFr),

WR- Ramel Keyton (Sr.), Nathan Leacock (Fr.), Chas Nimrod (RsFr)

WR- Squirrel White (So.), Dont’e Thornton (Jr.) Cam Seldon (Fr)

RG- Javontez Spraggins (Sr.), Sham (Fr) Masai Reddick (RSFr.), Vysen Lang (Fr.), Ayden Bussell (Fr.)

LG- Addison Nichols (RsFr) or Andrej Karic (So.), Ollie Lane (RSSr.), Maurice Clipper, Jr. (RSFr.)

SDE- Tyler Baron (Sr.) OR Roman Harrison (Sr) , Tyre West (So.), Dominic Bailey (RSJr.), Daevin Hobbs (Fr.), Nathan Robinson (Fr.)

LEO- Roman Harrison (Sr), Joshua Josephs(So.) OR James Pearce (So ), Caleb Herring (Fr.), Chandavian Bradley (Fr.)

MIKE- Arion Carter (Fr.), Pili (Sr.), Jeremiah Telendar (Fr.), Kwauze Garland (RSSr.)

WLB- Aaron Beasley (Sr.), Elijah Herring (So.), Jalen Smith (Fr.), K Perry (RSFr.)

LCB- Jordan Matthews (Fr) Gabe Jeudy-Lally (RSSr.), Harrison (RFr) Conyer (Fr)

RCB- Kamal Hadden (Sr.), Rickey Gibson (Fr.), De’Shawn Rucker (Jr.), Dee Williams (Sr.)

Star- Wesley Walker (Sr.), OR McDonald (Sr.), Jon Slaughter (Fr)

S- Christian Charles (Jr.), Jourdan Thomas (So.), John Slaughter (Fr.), Jack Luttrell (Fr.)

K- Charles Campbell (Sr.) P- Jackson Ross (So.)

KR- Cam Seldon (Fr) and Dylan Sampson (So)
PR- Dee Williams (Sr.)

The ONLY position that I worry about is our OT situation. We have some serviceable guys there but really lacking depth.
I think the freshman CBs will step up huge in the spring and fall. They may not start the season but will eventually work their way into a role this season.

I would like one more TE. I don't see a Princeton Fant on the team right now. Maybe they are waiting or maybe they have an ace up their sleeve after the Polynesian bowl (a guy can dream right????).

The ONLY position that I worry about is our OT situation. We have some serviceable guys there but really lacking depth.
I think the freshman CBs will step up huge in the spring and fall. They may not start the season but will eventually work their way into a role this season.
We have more depth at OT since the better Fulmer years.

I would disagree in the quality of the depth. Let’s hope their development is rapid and positive.
Last year’s top OT backup was Dayne Davis. The bodies behind Campbell are better quality. We’re not that far removed from Cade Mays being the only option and he was out of position. This stretches back four HC’s. We’d have a decent starter but the backup didn’t have even potential of being a viable player. Last season we vexed over Wright moving back to his natural position and Mincey/Crawford were exemplary on the blind side. Why? Because Ellarbee can get performance out of potential. OL is absolutely no worry for me…other than getting some young guys adequate snaps so they don’t portal.

VN Store

Back