2022 TN Forward Brandon Huntley-Hatfield

That’s the only explanation I can think of.

As highly rated as this kid is, if Ole Miss is his likely destination, there could be some behind the scenes stuff with this kid we’re unaware of.

Usually Calipari goes after the highest ranked players he can find.
Don't forget Kermit Davis was the original Will Wade when he was at LSU.

Reactions: tn4elvis
Defeatist, or you know something?

I am not an insider and my quote is based on the fact that UT does not go head to head in basketball recruiting against Mississippi or Louisville very often.

It would be nice to secure a commitment from a big to replace Anosike, Pons and Fulkerson in 2021.

From Basilio's blog this morning:

spacer.gif
He released his top 8 last week. It was supposed to be a top 6 but he received 8 offers. So, here we are. Is Tennessee one of his offers? Yes. They are ... Louisville offered after Kentucky bowed out. Kentucky offered a prospect that decommitted from Louisville, so the Cards jumped on Huntley-Hatfield after Kentucky got out. Follow that? Back to the Vols and Huntley-Hatfield. Here's what we're hearing ... Huntley-Hatfield is a Bobby Maze Elite product. If he called Tennessee today and wanted to commit, it's up in the air as to whether or not Tennessee would hard take him. Yet Tennessee is staying in this one for a couple of reasons.

Firstly you never know what's going to happen with guys at his position. Plus Maze has TONS of prospects. There were rumors running rampant back in the summer that Huntley-Hatfield was planning on transferring to Knoxville Catholic where several B Maze Elite play high school basketball including Handje Tamba who's a 7 footer in the same class. Right now Tennessee is keeping a foot in this one but how firmly it's placed in his circle remains to be seen. What gives? Why would Tennessee not be ALL IN on a TOP FIVE PLAYER IN AMERICA who was living in Farragut all off-season? Huntley-Hatfield worked out with a bunch of Vols and former Vols including Jordan Bowden in the off-season over at D-1 Training. What gives?

We hear that Rick Barnes is concerned about the fit of this talented big man. I don't think Huntley-Hatfield is a bad kid or a troubled young man but Barnes wants a certain type of player that wakes up all in. If you look at Tennessee's roster this is pretty much the type of player Barnes is recruiting. If you take a look at Tennessee's commitment list and targets for 2021, these guys have high motors. Kennedy Chandler is a high motor kid as is Jahmai Mashack.

From Basilio's blog this morning:

spacer.gif
He released his top 8 last week. It was supposed to be a top 6 but he received 8 offers. So, here we are. Is Tennessee one of his offers? Yes. They are ... Louisville offered after Kentucky bowed out. Kentucky offered a prospect that decommitted from Louisville, so the Cards jumped on Huntley-Hatfield after Kentucky got out. Follow that? Back to the Vols and Huntley-Hatfield. Here's what we're hearing ... Huntley-Hatfield is a Bobby Maze Elite product. If he called Tennessee today and wanted to commit, it's up in the air as to whether or not Tennessee would hard take him. Yet Tennessee is staying in this one for a couple of reasons.

Firstly you never know what's going to happen with guys at his position. Plus Maze has TONS of prospects. There were rumors running rampant back in the summer that Huntley-Hatfield was planning on transferring to Knoxville Catholic where several B Maze Elite play high school basketball including Handje Tamba who's a 7 footer in the same class. Right now Tennessee is keeping a foot in this one but how firmly it's placed in his circle remains to be seen. What gives? Why would Tennessee not be ALL IN on a TOP FIVE PLAYER IN AMERICA who was living in Farragut all off-season? Huntley-Hatfield worked out with a bunch of Vols and former Vols including Jordan Bowden in the off-season over at D-1 Training. What gives?

We hear that Rick Barnes is concerned about the fit of this talented big man. I don't think Huntley-Hatfield is a bad kid or a troubled young man but Barnes wants a certain type of player that wakes up all in. If you look at Tennessee's roster this is pretty much the type of player Barnes is recruiting. If you take a look at Tennessee's commitment list and targets for 2021, these guys have high motors. Kennedy Chandler is a high motor kid as is Jahmai Mashack.
I had a feeling that Tennessee, Barnes, and staff may have questions about his energy, motor, and whether he wanted to work hard. This, even from Basilio, whom I take with a grain of salt, would seem to confirm that idea. I noticed it in his highlights, so I'm sure the coaches have seen the same and they've seen a lot more tape and in-person games than I have. A shame, really, if he can't get himself in a position to want to be great. He certainly has the talent.

So he’s a talented player with zero work ethic?

That makes sense if Barnes isn’t pushing hard for him.

I don't believe a word Basilio ever says. I guess it would line up with what some on this board have speculated, but seriously, BHH is a Top 5 talent and if he wanted to commit I find it VERY hard to believe Barnes is saying no. If anyone can kick someone's behind into high gear it's Barnes.

So he’s a talented player with zero work ethic?

That makes sense if Barnes isn’t pushing hard for him.
Not sure if it's a zero work ethic, necessarily, but he definitely seems like a kid that lacks drive to be more than he just naturally is. A kid who has likely relied solely on his talent to this point in his career. That will get you so far, but at some point, at the highest levels, the talent margin is mostly razor-thin. At some point, you have to gain advantages elsewhere like your diet, the time you spend in the gym perfecting your form/shot, the time you spend on conditioning, in the weight room, film study, etc. Those things are what separate the elite players from the good players. If he can't learn to want to do all those small things, then as the talent margin narrows, he will begin to fade because he can't rely solely on his talent any longer.

These are the kinds of things that Rick Barnes can help him with the most, but not if he thinks he's a one-and-done player. Those habits and mindset changes won't occur in one 8-month period. He would need to stick around for at least two years to reap the benefits of that kind of coaching and motivational push.

Last edited:
I don't believe a word Basilio ever says. I guess it would line up with what some on this board have speculated, but seriously, BHH is a Top 5 talent and if he wanted to commit I find it VERY hard to believe Barnes is saying no. If anyone can kick someone's behind into high gear it's Barnes.
It also fits the narrative presented by Chris Fisher of CatsPause as to why UK cut ties, as well, which a large portion of other people here called sour grapes. So, I would tend to believe it at this point. Regardless of how believable you find the source, it has now come from a Kentucky angle, a Tennessee angle, and even I noticed it, myself, before either side presented that argument. It just seems to be the collective viewpoint on him.

Now, he's a high school junior, so he has time to find those things. And with the right coach, mentors, and motivation, he can fix them. I just don't think we can brush off the belief that he has a questionable motor and drive to be great, though.

It is a testament to the roster Barnes has put together. No, we do not have to take a recruit just because he is a top 5 talent. And man does is feel great to be in that position. Tennessee has honestly never been in that position before. If he doesn't fit the culture that Barnes has created then it is a scarcity situation. Do not bring him into the program and expend considerable resources trying to get him to do what everyone else in the program is already hardwired to do. If he coasts by on physical talent. Doesn't embrace the process that it takes to become great. Doesn't love playing the game enough that it shows in his effort and demeanor during the game. Then you spend your resources elsewhere.

We only have to look at Admiral when we are discussing getting in the doghouse. Barnes tends to straighten guys out.

VN Store

Back