2022 TN Forward Brandon Huntley-Hatfield

Step one is that they have to want to be straightened out, though. Admiral certainly seemed to want that and responded accordingly.
I have been fortunate to be in a position for several years (different sport) and I believe this to be completely true. A kid can have all the talent but if there is no drive or motivation, there is very little a coach, parent, mentor, or anyone else can do. That has to come from "within" each individual person.

I don't believe a word Basilio ever says. I guess it would line up with what some on this board have speculated, but seriously, BHH is a Top 5 talent and if he wanted to commit I find it VERY hard to believe Barnes is saying no. If anyone can kick someone's behind into high gear it's Barnes.

There is speculation this is why Kentucky soured on him.

I don't believe a word Basilio ever says. I guess it would line up with what some on this board have speculated, but seriously, BHH is a Top 5 talent and if he wanted to commit I find it VERY hard to believe Barnes is saying no. If anyone can kick someone's behind into high gear it's Barnes.

I would not be so sure given his comments when he first arrived in K-town from TX about "one and dones"...add in his success with much lower graded talent and, of course, his recent success landing big-time talent which, to me, easily equates to CRB saying "no" IF it is true that BHH has a sense of entitlement and/or lacks a strong work ethic.

I would not be so sure given his comments when he first arrived in K-town from TX about "one and dones"...add in his success with much lower graded talent and, of course, his recent success landing big-time talent which, to me, easily equates to CRB saying "no" IF it is true that BHH has a sense of entitlement and/or lacks a strong work ethic.
Wasn't it the Mashack kid who said long before Barnes offered a scholarship the staff had spent tons of time getting to know him, his family, his character, etc. That seemed to really impress that kid. Now I'm in no way suggested that BHH has character issues etc. I don't know him or the family and I've heard he's a good kid but I'll certainly trust Rick and staff on this one.

Not sure if it's a zero work ethic, necessarily, but he definitely seems like a kid that lacks drive to be more than he just naturally is. A kid who has likely relied solely on his talent to this point in his career. That will get you so far, but at some point, at the highest levels, the talent margin is mostly razor-thin. At some point, you have to gain advantages elsewhere like your diet, the time you spend in the gym perfecting your form/shot, the time you spend on conditioning, in the weight room, film study, etc. Those things are what separate the elite players from the good players. If he can't learn to want to do all those small things, then as the talent margin narrows, he will begin to fade because he can't rely solely on his talent any longer.

These are the kinds of things that Rick Barnes can help him with the most, but not if he thinks he's a one-and-done player. Those habits and mindset changes won't occur in one 8-month period. He would need to stick around for at least two years to reap the benefits of that kind of coaching and motivational push.

Remember that there was discussion that Barnes, at the end of his tenure at Texas, soured on guys who thought they were one and done and he believed they needed some development. His early recruiting at UT is somewhat indicative along with his recent 5 star takes being characterized as having high motors and great work ethics.

sounds like Huntley-Hatfield is leaning towards staying in the '22 class. Certainly not a done deal, but at one point I thought he was for sure going to reclassify.

SIAP, but this is from an SI interview from a few weeks ago...

"I also want to address the rumors going around that I’m going to reclassify to 2021; that was a thought at first, but I’m really big on trusting the process and not rushing things.

I’m in the gym everyday getting better and I think it’s really important to not skip steps. Of course, my dream is to be in the NBA, but my goal is to get those big second and third contracts. I want to develop as much as possible so there’s no rush for me.

I’m good staying in the 2022 class and, like I said, I’m focused on getting better and being as ready as possible when I go to the next level."

The Brandon Huntley-Hatfield Blog: Playing in a Pandemic, Addressing Rumors and More
See post #644. I’ll trust BTO telling us that he might reclassify.

Many kids say that, he said in a more recent interview his classes are lined up for him to reclassify, it will depend on the situation.

Reactions: VolOld
It never hurts to leave yourself the option to do it, especially for a kid of his talent level. That said, it was widely believed that Paolo Banchero would reclassify into 2020, as well, and he instead chose not to.

It never hurts to leave yourself the option to do it, especially for a kid of his talent level. That said, it was widely believed that Paolo Banchero would reclassify into 2020, as well, and he instead chose not to.
Yup, you see it go both ways, seems every year there’s kids say they aren’t going to and then they do.

So he cut GA, VT, and Louisville. Too bad Auburn is still there. Hopefully he is a high character kid that won’t want to be associated with low life cheaters.

So he cut GA, VT, and Louisville. Too bad Auburn is still there. Hopefully he is a high character kid that won’t want to be associated with low life cheaters.
I think cheating reflects poorly on the coaches' who do it character, but I don't fault the kids who take the money. That'd be hard to turn down at any age, much less 17, especially for the guys coming from rough backgrounds

So 3/4 of the other school's coaches in his Top Five have received show causes in the past for recruiting violations, and the coach that hasn't received one is Bill Self at Kansas who is currently being investigated for recruiting violations. . . This doesn't look very promising.
Hopefully Bobby Maze's involvement will help. I've never heard anything but positive things from Maze about UT, but I believe he feels like Pearl lied to him to get him here. He did an interview after shortly after graduation as that's the impression I got. - Kind of similar to a Butch Jones/Jalen Hurd situation, except Maze didn't say anything and gave Tennessee everything he had.

Reactions: TheMookieMonster

VN Store

Back