2022 Target List

I guess the crew of people who were crowing for less 5-stars and more 4-year players will be pretty happy.

Zeiglar, Tamba, Mashack, Djiboundje, Edwards, Aidoo, Montas (potentially), etc.

We'll see if this model works for us or not. Will be an interesting next couple of years on the recruiting circuit for sure. Doesn't seem like the 2023 class is off to a great start since we have no idea who we're primarily targeting lol.

That gives us a core of 7, including posts, power forward, wings, and guards. We would add transfers and/or sleeper recruits to replace losses for 22/23 season. After that, add top recruits/transfers. Could work.

Tennessee was set to be in Florida to see shooting guard Angel Montas this week as the Vols are making a late push for a guy that’s a little under the radar. He fits what Rick Barnes is looking for from a physical standpoint, a big, strong, athletic prospect in the mold of freshman Jahmai Mashack.

Tennessee would take him in the early signing period which is currently underway, but the window closes next week. It’s unclear if he’d pull the trigger without having been to campus and with his mother, who lives in his native Dominican Republic, not having been here either and very much involved in the decision.
-VQ

Reactions: allvolrecruiting
If he is a Mashack type player, I just don’t see them making a play for a similar type guy. I will make it clear that I have been a Mashack supporter from very early in the process, but I don’t think Mashack is truly relevant this year. Why add a similar guy? However, I have absolutely zero knowledge, and I trust Barnes’ evaluations.

If he is a Mashack type player, I just don’t see them making a play for a similar type guy. I will make it clear that I have been a Mashack supporter from very early in the process, but I don’t think Mashack is truly relevant this year. Why add a similar guy? However, I have absolutely zero knowledge, and I trust Barnes’ evaluations.
I think mashack, and Diboundje, are versatile in that they can probably project to play/defend 2-4…I think you can have make than 1 of those on your roster especially if it’s a guy that needs some development.

Reactions: allvolrecruiting
I’ve not heard or seen anything to suggest it, but just thought worth mentioning, keeping in mind…

Justin Gainey has a son at USC-Upstate, Jordan Gainey, he’s a freshman this year…was just named Big South freshman of the week.

Through 3 games:
3 starts 24mpg 10ppg 4rpg 57%fg 56%3pt listed at 6’4” 175lbs

Well the early signing period has come and gone and Tennessee’s only addition to the 2022 class is point guard B.J. Edwards, who has pretty much been a Vol lock for months.

That didn’t feel like it was going to be the case back in June when the Vols had as strong of a showing of official visitors as any program in the country. Tennessee hosted five-stars Cason Wallace and Brandon Miller along with two guys just outside of five-star territory in Dillon Mitchell and Jalen Hood-Schifino.

In the end Tennessee struck out on all those big names and Wallace was the only one who returned for a visit in the fall.

All of that means that you can expect Tennessee to be ultra active in the transfer portal market. Also, don’t rule out this staff going the International route as we’ve seen from them in the past.

Under the radar Dominican Republic prospect Angel Montas who plays at a prep school in Kissimmee, Fla, remains a target. Look for other names to emerge in the 2022 class that Tennessee is at least going to evaluate.
-VQ

VN Store

Back