2022 Target List

The best opportunities for big dollar NIL deals would be for high profile players where the company advertising wants to get their foot in the door for a long term deal including when a player advances to the NBA. Shoes. Soft drinks. The kind of deals that pro players score.
Yep. But there’s no inherent tie-in to coming to UT for those brands. I guess theoretically a kid w a Nike contract would be pushed to a Nike school but that doesn’t really narrow it down much. I agree that local deals are going to be the most obvious choices.

Yep. But there’s no inherent tie-in to coming to UT for those brands. I guess theoretically a kid w a Nike contract would be pushed to a Nike school but that doesn’t really narrow it down much. I agree that local deals are going to be the most obvious choices.

Personally, if a Georgia football player were to promote a national product I’ll be less likely to purchase it. Same if Penny’s players have a national deal with FedEx. I’d be more likely to trade with UPS.

Some of the Vol Network sponsors (natural gas, Waste Management or whoever does those recycling spots) might be the biggest opportunities but those deals could also invite NCAA scrutiny. Just because there are now N-I-L opportunities doesn’t mean that anything goes. I doubt that coaches can make endorsements with players.

Local car dealerships might present the best opportunities. Rice Olds used to be pretty cozy with UT basketball (wink, wink).

I think it is very reasonable to ask the questions as you are doing (I find your posts to be some of the best on this board...always well thought out and reasonable while also being insightful and though provoking) - it is completely asinine to act like we definitively know CRB is screwing this up as one poster in particular is doing. The reality IMO is that we will have to wait and see how this plays out as we go forward to know if we have a problem or not.

One reason why I am not overly concerned at the moment is that my personal belief is that big money has been paid to select players and/or their families for a long time and the level of sophistication is very advanced (reference Zion at Duke as just one example). Therefore, I fully expected a big disparity compared to certain schools early on as the true underground market was revealed which would explain (at least partially) why certain schools seem ahead in terms of having great "NIL" deals because they simply flipped the switch and publicly announced what they were doing all along under the table.

I also found CRB's comment that some kids were being misled and that the transfer portal will likely come into play for some quite interesting...I don't think that was just out of left field but now I am displaying my trust in CRB based on his success to this point in creating a program that is firing on all cylinders. I also trust Danny White as I believe he has shown himself to be a very good AD thus far but I guess that kind of logic based on past experience and currently known facts makes me a sunshine pumper to at least one irrational poster...lol.
Great post, and I totally agree. I'm not in full-blown panic mode over the idea.

Like the one poster you're referring to, there are a select few who fall on the other end of that spectrum that refuse to believe the athletic department can do any wrong. And the truth falls squarely between those two excessively polar opinions.

The AD isn't infallible. Coach Barnes isn't infallible. Neither is completely aloof and out of touch, either. Trusting them to make the right choices doesn't make anyone a sunshine pumper anymore than questioning certain decisions makes one a negavol.

The NIL game is going to come crashing down in a few years, of that I'm nearly certain (not only is a Big Blue currency insane, but my true belief is companies are going to realize that ROI on 99% of these kids just isn't there so any deals will be legalized booster handouts), though I'm concerned that failing to ink some kind of nonsense agreement with Pilot/Dish/HGTV/Jewelry TV/any company bigger than Pal's is going to hurt in the interim.

I believe the NIL will always be around but, once you get past the boosters and super fans who were already paying money, business owners will expect an actual ROI. Having said that, I am very excited the players can make some money off their sport and hard work while the unscrupulous and unethical NCAA which is one of the most corrupt organizations around is gradually being eviscerated.

On the recruiting front after being involved with multiple five stars and hosting them on official visits it looks like now Tennessee is down to under the radar prospect Angel Montas as the lone remaining target to perhaps join B.J. Edwards in the early signing period as part of the 2022 class.

As of Thursday the Vols’ staff was working hard to get Montas on campus for an official visit in the very near future. That could happen quickly and it could even be a midweek visit.

The difficulty for Tennessee is coordinating the trip; the prospect is in Florida, his mother is in the Dominican Republic and an uncle involved in the decision making process lives Massachusetts, so there is some juggling to do in order to get all three parties to Knoxville at the same time for an official visit.

The early signing period begins next Wednesday and Tennessee would like to get Montas in the boat if possible.

Rick Barnes and members of the staff will be in Florida next week to see Montas at his school.

Montas, who attends Life Academy in Kissimmee, Fl., is a big, muscular wing. He’s been described to us as extremely strong and athletic with a ton of upside but also a player who needs to refine his skill.
-VQ

Love seeing kids this young being able to finish with both hands around the basket. It’s not as common as it used to be unfortunately

I guess the crew of people who were crowing for less 5-stars and more 4-year players will be pretty happy.

Zeiglar, Tamba, Mashack, Djiboundje, Edwards, Aidoo, Montas (potentially), etc.

We'll see if this model works for us or not. Will be an interesting next couple of years on the recruiting circuit for sure. Doesn't seem like the 2023 class is off to a great start since we have no idea who we're primarily targeting lol.

Which of these 3 things do you guys feel is most likely?

1. Plavsic transfers?
2. James goes pro?
3. Bailey transfers?
4. BHH goes pro?

I asked that cause if we land Montas something has to happen, my guess is those 4 things being the most likely but obvious the spot could come from elsewhere. I probably agree with 4, 3, 2, 1.

VN Store

Back