2022 Recruits

You cannot rebuild with one recruit in a class. Regardless of what you think about the 21 class, you had to follow up that class with another strong class. The great teams are not dependent on the transfer portal, because they don’t have to be….they are getting who they want. I have heard the excuses, but it’s still alarming that only 1 player wants to play for UT in the 2022 class. If they had a roster full of great players who were all young, I could see signing 1 player, but all the best players on the roster are older. You can spin it how you want, but we have got turned down by so many players. It’s alarming.
Yes .the girl we lost to Miami was a gut punch.

I find it very hard to determine what else a coaching staff can do to influence a recruit. Tour of the facilities, football game, outing at coaches house, Photo of recruit with all eight Championship trophies, Total outline of academics and support, Hanging out with present players both on campus and at the coaches house. If anybody knows what else the staff could do sure would like to know. Other than kidnapping what else could a coaching staff do with a player on an official visit.

I find it very hard to determine what else a coaching staff can do to influence a recruit. Tour of the facilities, football game, outing at coaches house, Photo of recruit with all eight Championship trophies, Total outline of academics and support, Hanging out with present players both on campus and at the coaches house. If anybody knows what else the staff could do sure would like to know. Other than kidnapping what else could a coaching staff do with a player on an official visit.

Getting them to buy into the vision of the program and imparting a sense of need for that player probably rates higher than any of the thing you outlined. Tennessee is ticking the boxes during the visits, but it seems like the recruits are leaving thinking that this isn't the right place for them.

You cannot rebuild with one recruit in a class. Regardless of what you think about the 21 class, you had to follow up that class with another strong class. The great teams are not dependent on the transfer portal, because they don’t have to be….they are getting who they want. I have heard the excuses, but it’s still alarming that only 1 player wants to play for UT in the 2022 class. If they had a roster full of great players who were all young, I could see signing 1 player, but all the best players on the roster are older. You can spin it how you want, but we have got turned down by so many players. It’s alarming.
I think '22 was a longshot to begin with due to the coaching staff changes. It does put Tennessee in a tough spot going into next season, with 4 players graduating (including 3 likely starters and the 2 probable leading scorers for the team) and only 1 incoming (albeit very good potential) player. If the '23 recruiting class is not a haul, then there will be major gaps on the team (most notably at PG and C). Kellie hasn't had great luck with the portal either, so I think the '23 class will be her Waterloo moment. If she can't reload the team with that class, it will be an uphill climb for the team.

Whatever they are doing is not working ...These kids are seeing something they don't like,but what who knows..Kellie better find out!!

She picked a school that plays in front of 1000 fans a game. As opposed to playing for a tradition rich school that has 12-15k fans a game All the playing time she wants...Something isn't right in k-town...
maybe she liked the beaches in Miami plus they have a very beautiful campus I wouldnt blame her

Getting them to buy into the vision of the program and imparting a sense of need for that player probably rates higher than any of the thing you outlined. Tennessee is ticking the boxes during the visits, but it seems like the recruits are leaving thinking that this isn't the right place for them.
I think some of the problem is that no one is getting promised anything to come here. Other schools are promising playing time and other perks just to get the commitment and we'll see a lot of transfers because of that come March. Were definitely taking a hard line on recruits earning everything if they come here. I am fine with that coaches shouldn't make promises they can't keep.

They haven't been totally inept top ten class last season and number 11 player this season. Sometimes players just like another situation better.
right like their decision is not always from a basketball perspective maybe she just liked the university of Miami when we seperate it from Miami's WBB program its understandable

Reactions: Volfan2012
The beaches plus you are a starter from day one and maybe other things who knows. Choosing Miami over NC St,, Tennessee, and Fla. St seems like the worst of four choices.

Basketball wise it definitely seems so but if she has some roots down there due to her Caribbean heritage plus it being a nice campus hs anything to do with it I can understand plus again she may get TONS of PT from the beginning and probably be the focal point of what they do. I wish her luck but she could’ve still done great things here at Tennessee.

I think some of the problem is that no one is getting promised anything to come here. Other schools are promising playing time and other perks just to get the commitment and we'll see a lot of transfers because of that come March. Were definitely taking a hard line on recruits earning everything if they come here. I am fine with that coaches shouldn't make promises they can't keep.
Bingo! Kellie isn't promising anything, you can't even put on the Jersey until you commit! That has been the biggest issue, people see it as excuses but it isn't. With today's generation, If a coach is giving these kids (parents/AAU/High School Coaches) everything they ask for without them having to work for it and another coach is saying you can get these things but I wont guarantee when you will get them, the kid is far more likely to go with the guarantee. Call it being salty, excuses, or whatever but doing it the right way is very rare today and there is a reason the portal is there and why it is always loaded.

Might be a good time to go down the road talk with Ace. If she’s good enough to play at WVU she’s good enough to play at Tennessee.

She picked a school that plays in front of 1000 fans a game. As opposed to playing for a tradition rich school that has 12-15k fans a game All the playing time she wants...Something isn't right in k-town...
Totally disagree! Former recruiting coordinator didn’t do her job, so when Sam and Joy came in, they had a lot of ground to make up. To get two top 25 kids on campus and to make their top 4 as late as they were offered speaks volumes about what Sam Williams brings to the table. You have to develop relationships with these kids and their parents. I think 2023 and 2024 will be a different story. Ashlynn Shade has visited twice in 4 months on her own dime. Kellie doesn’t play the smoke and mirrors game like a lot of these coaches do and doesn’t promise them things she can’t deliver.

I don't think that coaches like Geno, Kim, Dawn, etc. have to make promises they can't keep to get recruits on board. SC and Uconn this season are both loaded with All Americans up and down their starting lineup and bench. I doubt someone like Caroline Ducherme or Bree Hall were promised anything, other than the opportunity to compete for minutes...but they were willing to take on the challenge. I would guess that Pat was much the same way during her recruiting cycles. Coaches that are known to make empty promises will have it catch up to them quickly, because I'm sure word will get around that they aren't trustworthy. The flip side is when you have a school like Miami that really can promise playing time because they don't have a deep recruiting pipeline, and that's going to resonate with a player who wants to start right away.

Toinne was promised nothing from UNC no playing time also had a nice chat with a 2023 recruit i post about some time back out of the state of NC and on her visits to other schools she said no coaches have promised her playing time. So i think you can shelve that, Now for the other perks you will need to list them or put the proof on the table ? And i agree coaches shouldn't make promises they can't keep.

VN Store

Back