2022 Recruits

Anyone got any info on the top prospect in the class, 6'7" Lauren Betts in CO?

Please don't say UConn...
I know Geno has seen her play. they already have the 2022 #3 overall and #2 post committed, so the interest may not be too high. Though it would be tough to pass up an agile 6'7"

Then she was the wrong hire and she will be fired, like she was at NC State. To be among the elite in women's basketball you have to get in the arms race. Even Holly understood this. So did Kellie when she took the job. The roster full of "diamond in the rough" players that worked in the MVC isn't going to cut it at this level.

The good news is, barring anything unforeseen, she inherited some nice young talent to build around. Most notably of course is Horston, who if she continues to progress is a likely future All-American/WNBA player. As much as people are critical of the roster Kellie was left with, just wait until this talent dries up if she has done nothing to replenish it...

I agree about the arms race. We should aim high, as I feel confident, we are. If we aren’t confident in ourselves, no way are the recruits going to be.
I also agree that the roster isn’t terrible, but all considered, and most especially with the loss of Green, we were fighting an uphill battle. Yet, we could have, should have, and with a couple more stops, made free throws and lay ups, would have won a couple, three, even four more games - Texas, Kentucky-One, Arkansas, Texas A&M. But, most every team is singing the woulda, coulda, shoulda tune about now.
I don’t expect any shocking, top-five commitments this Spring-Fall; but, I think we’ll get enough of the better-to-best to compete.

Krichunaka I am an alumni of Indiana and reading their small board following the general comments- lamenting the inability to have athletes as good as Maryland (lost three times) and the win over SC is considered anomaly. "We need to recruit better athletes!" AND "we need 3-pt shooters."

Reactions: krichunaka
He is also now 66 years old who rants and raves about "players today." The twilight of a women's basketball coaches career is generally not their finest. And, to me, he seems wildly out of touch with young women that are 18-22 years old, who likely relate better with younger coaches like KJH and Staley. I think the tide will soon turn on UConn's recruiting dominance. A case like Aaliyah Boston may soon become the norm, not the exception. I just hope KJH and the Lady Vols can take advantage of it.

You need to pay closer attention before posting such nonsense. Maybe you should listen to what his players say about him before babbling about him being out of touch. I'm assuming that you are new to WCBB so I'll cut a little slack.

How about some facts about Auriemma -
Next year he has the number one recruit (touted as the next Taurasi) and the #2 recruiting class with 6 top players coming in. For 2021 he has already gotten a verbal from the #1 ranked big in the class along with a 5 star guard. 2022s Azzi Fudd may well be next since she and Bueckers are buds. That sure doesn't look like twilight slippage to me.

Your earlier comment about "that #1 post" not doing well is also off the mark. I'm assuming that you are talking about ONO. As most women's basketball fans recognize, it takes a while to develop post players. ONO is a case in point. She was ranked #5 BTW and as a sophomore she has made progress, averaging 10.9/8.5 with 100+ blocks this season. Next year she will be even better. If you are talking about Walker who was ranked #1 she was 19.7/8.4 this year.

Auriemma has said repeatedly over the last 5-6 years that he has had to change his coaching methods to adapt to the current player/parent climate - and he has. If you watched UConn games you would hear the announcers mention that in nearly every game broadcast. Those changes include his gym and courtside demeanor. Pay attention now - here comes the important part - At the twilight of his career Auriemma is 223 and 6 over the last 6 years. During that time he has won 3 NCs and reached all 6 final fours. Two of the final four losses were on buzzer beaters. He recently said that he expects to coach for another 5 years.

I know Geno has seen her play. they already have the 2022 #3 overall and #2 post committed, so the interest may not be too high. Though it would be tough to pass up an agile 6'7"

Tennessee has never had a player that size, but it would be cool to see...

You need to pay closer attention before posting such nonsense. Maybe you should listen to what his players say about him before babbling about him being out of touch. I'm assuming that you are new to WCBB so I'll cut a little slack.

How about some facts about Auriemma -
Next year he has the number one recruit (touted as the next Taurasi) and the #2 recruiting class with 6 top players coming in. For 2021 he has already gotten a verbal from the #1 ranked big in the class along with a 5 star guard. 2022s Azzi Fudd may well be next since she and Bueckers are buds. That sure doesn't look like twilight slippage to me.

Your earlier comment about "that #1 post" not doing well is also off the mark. I'm assuming that you are talking about ONO. As most women's basketball fans recognize, it takes a while to develop post players. ONO is a case in point. She was ranked #5 BTW and as a sophomore she has made progress, averaging 10.9/8.5 with 100+ blocks this season. Next year she will be even better. If you are talking about Walker who was ranked #1 she was 19.7/8.4 this year.

This part in bold was not from me. And I am not new to women's basketball, I have been following it since the early 1990s. We obviously differ in our opinions because we differ in our allegiances. As with Tennessee, there's no doubt, he and his program have been able to accomplish in this sport. I won't debate that, I just have questions and doubts about what his and UConn's future will look like. Im bearish, you're bullish and Im willing to leave it at that.

Anyone that follows women's college basketball, would be foolish to question the success of UConn....Geno is anything but done....

His program is about to get a lot of very strong talent that will most likely bring UConn back to a national championship contender....

All we can do is watch and hope Kellie can get some top talent here in a year or two...Our immediate concern is South Carolina, not UConn.

Let's hope during the off season she can get stronger and a hell of a lot more tough.....She got pushed around way too much....
I actually think Key has much more upside than Boston at S.C. (I’m sure the SC poster with the terrifically inappropriate meme will be on this like a duck or chicken on a June bug).
But your point is exactly why I think this. Boston is a naturally large young woman and that can be a big advantage when you are just banging away inside. She is also a skilled player, I don’t want to take anything away from her. She also seems like a good kid.
But Key, who can get stronger, is always going to be a leaner and more athletic center. With the development of more moves, isolation plays where she is open, more mature guard play, she can be a terror from 12 feet in. She will be able to draw centers like Boston away from the basket and then go by them or drop the ball off to a teammate at the basket. We have only scratched the surface with Miss Key and her block party.
And, her mom seems like a great gal!!!

I saw where Edie Darby made the list of 2022 Prospect Nation players. I don't if she will be ranked when they put that list up,but she has been evaluated by them and is certainly up for consideration.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
I believe Ms Key is at least 6'7" right now.

Glad I brought it up...

images

If Saunders is 6'5, and McCoy is 6'3, and KK is 6'4", Key has got to be 6'6" or 6'7"....
If that girl would get angry, and stop smiling, and become a basketball player, she could dominate the paint...(Smiling is nice, but look mean, it won't hurt)
2019_20_Tennessee_Lady_Vols.jpg

If Saunders is 6'5, and McCoy is 6'3, and KK is 6'4", Key has got to be 6'6" or 6'7"....
If that girl would get angry, and stop smiling, and become a basketball player, she could dominate the paint...(Smiling is nice, but look mean, it won't hurt)
2019_20_Tennessee_Lady_Vols.jpg

I agree Key has a few inches on Saunders

Anyone that follows women's college basketball, would be foolish to question the success of UConn....Geno is anything but done....

His program is about to get a lot of very strong talent that will most likely bring UConn back to a national championship contender....

All we can do is watch and hope Kellie can get some top talent here in a year or two...Our immediate concern is South Carolina, not UConn.

As a UConn fan, I hope so too. There was nothing more exciting in WCBB than the rivalry between UConn and UTenn. I don't think that top talent alone will return UT to the elite level. I think that there needs to be a change in how UT plays the game. That may be difficult with a coach that learned the game at Pat Summitt's knee. The game has changed and I think CPS recognized that before her illness.

I don’t think those of you watch the post play of Key. She’s not a pushover.. she went toe to toe with Joyner Holmes , she had a stare down with ONO at UConn and think of all the double tech and offensive fouls she got for throwing a shot into the defender. She’s not a soft girl and it kinda sounds like y’all want her to be a dirty player.

I don’t think those of you watch the post play of Key. She’s not a pushover.. she went toe to toe with Joyner Holmes , she had a stare down with ONO at UConn and think of all the double tech and offensive fouls she got for throwing a shot into the defender. She’s not a soft girl and it kinda sounds like y’all want her to be a dirty player.
You are right. I had forgotten some of those instances. She is also a very pretty girl so that may be misleading, hah!

Tennessee has never had a player that size, but it would be cool to see...
how many 6'7"s are there playing D1? The only ones who come to mind is Sedona Prince and the 6'9" Nancy Mulkey who hasn't developed into much of a force.

VN Store

Back