2022 Recruits

Ace IS already a great shooter, but she could be an even better overall player if she got into the habit of following her shot. Granted, in a highlights reel we’re only seeing made baskets, and she very well may be able to sense that it’s going in pretty quickly after it leaves her hands...

But still... I’d love to see modern shooters taking advantage of the fact that they have the advantage when it comes to getting rebounds after long misses if they make a move toward the basket soon after they shoot instead of standing and watching it. As the player who shot the ball, they are the one who is going to have the best guess as to which direction the ball will go on a miss, but most shooters today never even try at all to go get a rebound. Ugh.

In HS we had to do push ups if we did not follow up the shot to the rim.....Lots of easy rebounds because, like you said, the shooter has the best view of the ball and if it is going to be a miss or not and which way the rebound will go......

It's the little things that make the difference...
maxresdefault.jpg

Reactions: lvocd
Prophet, Lovcd, and other friends, we all share the vision of what Ace could bring to the lady Vols....Let me change that and say, we all share the vision of what Ace will bring to the Lady Vols...She even protects the ball like a veteran when she dribbles.
Ace%20Strickland%20drive_BHS%20girls_021420_296-0036.jpg

We have a far better chance of seeing Bob Barker in a Vol uniform than we do with Janiah. Keep dreaming yall.
For the next few years, KJH should focus almost all of her time and energy on recruits ranked in the 30-100 range, the underrated, undervalued 'diamond in the rough' type players and players based locally. How successful she can be implementing this recruiting strategy will determine whether we thrive or we crash and burn in the immediate future. Success would mean wins and the more we win the more she can turn her attention to the top 20ish recruits and start swinging for the bleachers. I'm sure it's an unpopular view but I think it's the better, more reasonable and far more effective strategy in our currrent situation.

Reactions: River67
Anyone got any info on the top prospect in the class, 6'7" Lauren Betts in CO?

Please don't say UConn...
They already have the #2 ranked recruit in the 2022 committed. To think that they have as good a shot as any other team to get Lauren Betts to pair with Brady makes me sick to my stomach. Why do elite recruits want to play for that jerk, especially when they'll likely have to compete with other elite recruits for minutes? I bet they have a wave of transfers in the next couple years.

They already have the #2 ranked recruit in the 2022 committed. To think that they have as good a shot as any other team to get Lauren Betts to pair with Brady makes me sick to my stomach. Why do elite recruits want to play for that jerk, especially when they'll likely have to compete with other elite recruits for minutes? I bet they have a wave of transfers in the next couple years.
Just remember the rankings for 2022 are wildly incomplete. The whole list will change after this summer when it expands to 60.

Reactions: krichunaka
They already have the #2 ranked recruit in the 2022 committed. To think that they have as good a shot as any other team to get Lauren Betts to pair with Brady makes me sick to my stomach. , especially when they'll likely have to compete with other elite recruits for minutes? I bet they have a wave of transfers in the next couple years.

Why do elite recruits want to play for that jerk . . . . "

I thought that was pretty obvious - nobody is better at player developement than Auriemma and elite players know that. And yes, there will probably be transfers. He has 6 players coming in next year plus Westbrook. I wouldn't be surprised if some leave for more playing time.

We have a far better chance of seeing Bob Barker in a Vol uniform than we do with Janiah. Keep dreaming yall.
For the next few years, KJH should focus almost all of her time and energy on recruits ranked in the 30-100 range, the underrated, undervalued 'diamond in the rough' type players and players based locally. How successful she can be implementing this recruiting strategy will determine whether we thrive or we crash and burn in the immediate future. Success would mean wins and the more we win the more she can turn her attention to the top 20ish recruits and start swinging for the bleachers. I'm sure it's an unpopular view but I think it's the better, more reasonable and far more effective strategy in our currrent situation.

Welcome to the board....

Why do elite recruits want to play for that jerk . . . . "

I thought that was pretty obvious - nobody is better at player developement than Auriemma and elite players know that. And yes, there will probably be transfers. He has 6 players coming in next year plus Westbrook. I wouldn't be surprised if some leave for more playing time.
Not all elite players are running to conn and the number one he has in the post dont seem to be developing , but he is the wiz ( small cap only) in players development.
Geno's not winning much lately and the culture is changing in the WCBB, that's why Dawn snagged what she did and will continue to do so and Oregon and Stanford. Development and winning are not the priority
for elites choosing where to play , the culture is now first.
Diamond Deshield was trying to relate this culture thing
while she was at Tennessee. No one paid attention.
Surprisingly, Tennessee was snagging elite players
from Oregon who didn't stay in their cultural environment, every player was doomed and the last
player , Evina transferred. Uconn will not be her fit ,don't know why she didn't apply to Oregon or Oregon State.
If Diamond would have brought her elite recruits to SC, Georgia instead of NC , she would have plenty ' ships.

Point guard Kimberly Weathers Loretta mustangs winner district 6. Whoever get Kimberly will have a player ready to take charge on either end of court. Loretta TN is a small down with a future great player.

Darth, I agree...Ace is not ready for the SEC now.....That is a bit premature speculation....It does look like if Ace will continue to develop her game, she will be a welcomed addition to the LV family when it is her time.

She also looks like a UConn girl in the picture.....Uconn does know the value of offense.
Fulton-v-Farragut_2019-1-Danny-Parker-683x1024.jpg

Whether she could start in the SEC - today - is simply moot. Looking forward, she has all the essential qualities to play in any conference: She appears practically ambidextrous; she has the quick, high release; she rebounds and literally beats the defense to the other end; judging by her excellent passing and defensive tenacity, she’s obviously very heady. Of course those other kids in the video aren’t seasoned SEC veterans, but that can be said of all recruits.
It should surprise no one if in fact she has a ucon bumper sticker. Miss Weathers of Loretto has made a few fan-like postings about the cons as well. We should bear in mind that these girls were about 4-years-old when Candace and Company last cut down the nets; meanwhile there have been numerous trophies added to the shelves in Storrs, and elsewhere.
Anyhow, recruiting is all about judging “potential,” and Miss Strickland certainly has plenty. She has the length and hustle to defend, even in the SEC ...because a huge part of defense, at any level, is attitude, and I’m confident she has the right kind of that. There is, of course, the concern with defending “your position,” and since she likely projects as a two ...well, that’s why Coaches and Recruiting Coordinators make the big bucks. And, that’s why Coaches and Recruiting Coordinators get fired.
There’s actually a lot to see in the great photo, but we’d literally be analyzing a sixteen-seventeen-year-old, so I yield back the balance of my time.

Reactions: stllvf
Not all elite players are running to conn and the number one he has in the post dont seem to be developing , but he is the wiz ( small cap only) in players development.
Geno's not winning much lately and the culture is changing in the WCBB, that's why Dawn snagged what she did and will continue to do so and Oregon and Stanford. Development and winning are not the priority
from Oregon who didn't stay in their cultural environment, every player was doomed and the last
player , Evina transferred. Uconn will not be her fit ,don't know why she didn't apply to Oregon or Oregon State.
If Diamond would have brought her elite recruits to SC, Georgia instead of NC , she would have plenty ' ships.

No one has ever said that all elite players want to play for Auriemma, for lots of reasons. However many do. I will disagree about Westbrook. If she stays healthy she will blossom. She is the type of player that fits his system.
Not sure what you are saying about the culture being the thing. What culture? For competitive athletes it will always be about winning. In WCBB top athletes are all about professional play and they recognize which coaches can get them there.

Point guard Kimberly Weathers Loretta mustangs winner district 6. Whoever get Kimberly will have a player ready to take charge on either end of court. Loretta TN is a small down with a future great player.

Any relation to Karly?

Reactions: krichunaka
Welcome to the board....
Thank you. I've been a long time visitor of this board and decided to finally take the jump. I'll do my best to bring a fresh and honest perspective, and try to add something new to what is already the best women's basketball forum on the interwebs. Glad to join you folks.

He is also now 66 years old who rants and raves about "players today." The twilight of a women's basketball coaches career is generally not their finest. And, to me, he seems wildly out of touch with young women that are 18-22 years old, who likely relate better with younger coaches like KJH and Staley. I think the tide will soon turn on UConn's recruiting dominance. A case like Aaliyah Boston may soon become the norm, not the exception. I just hope KJH and the Lady Vols can take advantage of it.

And after that, she should focus her time and energy to updating her resume...
If she puts all of her time and energy on the top 20 recruits and those recruits end up deciding that Knoxville is not for them, then what? Her 2nd and 3rd options will have by then committed somewhere else, and she'll be left to pick from an ever dwindling pool. If her eye for talent and ability to develop talent is at the level we expect from the coach at Tennessee she can go out and get the undervalued, less developed or less heralded players she really likes and work her magic when they get on campus. Whether she succeeds or fails at these two things, it's better to find out sooner rather than later. It took us six years to figure it out with Holly, and in that time, the hole she dug just got deeper and deeper. Im not sure we can survive another six years like that.

Reactions: mcannon1
If she puts all of her time and energy on the top 20 recruits and those recruits end up deciding that Knoxville is not for them, then what?

Then she was the wrong hire and she will be fired, like she was at NC State. To be among the elite in women's basketball you have to get in the arms race. Even Holly understood this. So did Kellie when she took the job. The roster full of "diamond in the rough" players that worked in the MVC isn't going to cut it at this level.

The good news is, barring anything unforeseen, she inherited some nice young talent to build around. Most notably of course is Horston, who if she continues to progress is a likely future All-American/WNBA player. As much as people are critical of the roster Kellie was left with, just wait until this talent dries up if she has done nothing to replenish it...

OK guys....Tell us why the LVs are a better choice than South Carolina, Baylor, or UConn, or any other current top team ....There is no wrong answer, just what your sales pitch would be to the student and their family.

Yes, we need some program building players that will get down and dirty. Some kids with something prove. I love our current players, but we aren’t in the right place for 5 star prima-donna recruits at the moment.

Reactions: Enten/Eller
OK guys....Tell us why the LVs are a better choice than South Carolina, Baylor, or UConn, or any other current top team ....There is no wrong answer, just what your sales pitch would be to the student and their family.
Simple. You go to our gym show the banners then show our facilities then go to hall of fame and point to why it is here. Then last you tell recruits we our going to win championships again and you will help expedite and be apart of this special place and this place is special. And if they love football bring them to Neyland because Football is headed back to the top and our tremendous fan base.

VN Store

Back