2022 Army game bought out (merged)

So, you agree with me that it’s an absolute garbage schedule, but you’re okay with that because UT needs a trophy.

A trophy? Lol what kinda trophy? We winning the National Championship next year? 😂

You make no sense. The point is these games are good for us to not be able to take a beating before SEC play.

SEC play is what matters. Beating SEC teams is what matters. WE ARE AN SEC TEAM. Out of conference games don’t matter.

Lol

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
We don’t have even ONE decent OOC opponent on our 2022 schedule. in contrast, Bama has Utah State and Texas in 2022. It’s not 5he fact that we have a weak team on our OOC schedule. It’s the fact that all we have is cupcakes on our entie OOC schedule in 2022. We don’t have ONE single quality OOC opponent next year.
By design!

We don’t have even ONE decent OOC opponent on our 2022 schedule. in contrast, Bama has Utah State and Texas in 2022. It’s not 5he fact that we have a weak team on our OOC schedule. It’s the fact that all we have is cupcakes on our entie OOC schedule in 2022. We don’t have ONE single quality OOC opponent next year.

OOC opponents are meaningless. That’s what you just cannot grasp. Believe what you want though.

Reactions: cHiZzLeVOL
Now you are spewing some ignorance. I generally agree with much of what you post but you are WAY off the reservation here.

Yes. You have to be an intellectual "giant" to be promoted higher than Major in the Army. Almost all who make it past that point have a post-graduate degree.
Uhh… you kind of have to…. Considering you are required to go to the War College…. (Which gives you a post-grad degree)

@Pitt? They’re a legitimate P5 team. I’m not saying they’re great but they are a competitive program especially since they beat Tennessee 2 weeks ago.
Right before they lost to Western Michigan. We’re not exactly the gold standard for measuring the quality of opposing teams that we once were.

Right before they lost to Western Michigan. We’re not exactly the gold standard for measuring the quality of opposing teams that we once were.
I got an idea let’s play only OOC games… you know since they matter so much for recruiting…. Matter of fact let’s schedule all the Service academies too…. I’m sure recruits really care if we play Army, Navy, and Air Force…..

FFS

Lol… I’m not breaking down Utah State football.
I can completely understand that, but I believe they’re better than every team on our OOC schedule next year. We’ll learn a lot about them in the next 2 weeks though, as they play Boise State and BYU. However, even if you debate Utah State, you can’t possibly argue that anyone on our 2022 OOC schedule is (or was ever expected to be at the time the schedule was made) as good as Texas.

A trophy? Lol what kinda trophy? We winning the National Championship next year? 😂

You make no sense. The point is these games are good for us to not be able to take a beating before SEC play.

SEC play is what matters. Beating SEC teams is what matters. WE ARE AN SEC TEAM. Out of conference games don’t matter.

Lol
I don’t like cupcakes. It’s that simple. I don’t care about making a crappy bowl game. If we’re a quality team, then we’ll earn a good bowl game even against a tough schedule. If we’re not good enough to do that, that’s fine too. Playing tough competition makes your team improve. I think 75% of the current bowl games should be eliminated. Only truly good teams should go to bowl games. I realize it won’t ever happen, but I detest bowl games with two teams that have no business playing in a post-season game. Not everyone deserves a trophy. If you want one, earn it!

I can completely understand that, but I believe they’re better than every team on our OOC schedule next year. We’ll learn a lot about them in the next 2 weeks though, as they play Boise State and BYU. However, even if you debate Utah State, you can’t possibly argue that anyone on our 2022 OOC schedule is (or was ever expected to be at the time the schedule was made) as good as Texas.
Texas is a perfect example. That sounds like a marquee game. When it got scheduled years ago, that Vince Young National title was a pretty recent memory. The reality though is that they’ve been a mediocre Big 12 team for the last decade that’s probably more like Pitt than you think. I’ll bet their overall win totals have been about the same.

It’s hard to know 5-10 years out what you’re getting.

Reactions: wmcovol

So it’s on UT to make sure the opponents play well every week also? You praise Bama for playing Utah State. Are they undefeated?

I don’t like cupcakes. It’s that simple. I don’t care about making a crappy bowl game. If we’re a quality team, then we’ll earn a good bowl game even against a tough schedule, If we’re not good enough to do that, that’s fine too. Playing tough competition makes your team improve. I think 75% of the current bowl games should be eliminated. Only truly good teams should go to bowl games. I realize it won’t ever happen, but I detest bowl games with two teams that have no business playing in a post-season game. Not everyone deserves a trophy. If you want one, earn it!
When did I ever mention a “bowl game” we need to beat SEC teams. The current OOC schedule we have allows us to be healthier during those SEC games, you know…. The games that matter. You know what would be awesome? Finally winning the East. We currently don’t have the depth right now to play tough OOC schedules.

We are literally missing 30+ scholarship players we only have 70 scholarship players and we lose some this year.

So sure you don’t like crappy OOC games but it’s the best strategy to keep a team with bad depth right now in it during SEC play which is what matters. Winning the East and then possibly winning the SEC Championship game.

Texas is a perfect example. That sounds like a marquee game. When it got scheduled years ago, that Vince Young National title was a pretty recent memory. The reality though is that they’ve been a mediocre Big 12 team for the last decade that’s probably more like Pitt than you think. I’ll bet their overall win totals have been about the same.

I agree about your comment about being able to predict the future. However, at the time schedules were made, I think reasonable people can agree that Texas was expected to be a far higher quality opponent than Pittsburgh, Army, Akron, UT-Martin, etc. Texas was expected to be a marquee matchup, and that may not end up being the case. However, there is no reasonable basis to believe that any of our OOC opponents were ever believed to be a potential marquee matchup for UT in 2022. We intentionally scheduled extremely weak opponents.

So it’s on UT to make sure the opponents play well every week also? You praise Bama for playing Utah State. Are they undefeated?
Yes. They are. However, that wasn’t my point. You can’t say Pittsburgh is a quality team because they beat UT. Once upon a time, you could absolutely make that argument, but you can’t anymore. We haven’t been a good team for many years.

Yes. They are. However, that wasn’t my point. You can’t say Pittsburgh is a quality team because they beat UT. We haven’t been a good team for many years.

Pitt beat Clemson a couple yrs ago. Same coach. They have been very competitive in ACC. You praised Bama for playing Utah State. Pitt has been a better program than Utah State 96 of the past 100 yrs.

As I said earlier, no coach in America would want to play a wishbone team in the middle of their conference season. This started under Gump. At least I’ve now found someone Gump is smarter than,

I just did the research on this because I agree it was a potentially valid point. The Alabama/Texas series was announced in May 2018, so the 2017 season was the most recent completed season at that time. Texas’ record for the 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021 to-date seasons was 34-19. Pitt‘s record over that same time frame is 28-25. Personally, I think the Big 12 was a better conference from top to bottom than the ACC over that time period. Regardless, those were their records.

I very much get it. I know I'm very much in the minority here, but I don't give a damn about making a toilet-level bowl game on the strength of barely eking out a 0.500 season by beating the likes of Ball State, Akron, UT-Martin and Vanderbilt. The rest of you can pound your chest that UT is bowl eligible due to that rousing victory over Jerry's Kids. If that's what it takes for UT to be bowl eligible, then I just assume they sit at home.

lol

Your the only one who looks like your pounding anything.

You don’t get “good” from being terrible, overnight.

New players, new coaches…….and those guys are putting in “the work”……not you and I. If they can get some “small” rewards lake a low tier bowl……..what’s it to you? Seriously.

The program won 3 games last year. The program has had 8 losing seasons over the past 13…….and you want to bitch and moan about not playing Army and maybe making a bowl? Seriously?

This program isn’t where it used to be…….heck it’s WAY down. They gain EVERYTHING, by not playing Army including more revenue, and lose nothing.

go pound your sand somewhere else!

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
Our past doesn’t excuse our present or future. Our administration is actively seeking to weaken what was already a pathetic OOC schedule. We’ll see if those Oklahoma games remain on the schedule, particularly with them joining the SEC.
But you’re acting like this is the first time that Tennessee has done something like this. They did the same thing in 2010 when they bought out the UNC series that was slated to start in 2011. Dooley and Hamilton came to the conclusion that Tennessee was in a bad spot roster wise and would rather play vastly inferior opponents in hopes of having a winning season.

VN Store

Back