2021 Fall Practice #7

Fingers

Tennessee Quarterback Brian Maurer was not on the practice field this morning… He has yet to enter the transfer portal but we expect that he will be doing so momentarily and will NOT be back with his football program based off people we have spoken to this morning. Obviously Maurer has been all over the map on social media during his time at Tennessee and so it wouldn’t be totally shocking to see him end up back at practice but it seems unlikely at this point. Josh Heupel will address all roster movement when he meets the media on Thursday.
a.price

-

As for the QBs in action Wednesday, the order wasn’t all that clear as all three guys were repping in duos and sometimes even all three at the same time. The best I could make it out, looked like Milton/Bailey and then Hooker – but again, take that with a grain of salt as they were all over the place moving around.
I thought this session was more crisp compared to last we saw last Friday, when it was a struggle, as rollouts and throwing on the run were the emphasis. Looked like Milton was throwing well again and Bailey looked good overall, but again missed some while working towards the boundary.
The offensive line again saw Darnell Wright up at left tackle and Dayne Davis behind Cade Mays at right tackle. JaVonta Payton and Jimmy Holiday were back out here while Kaemen Marley worked form the side while media was present.
As we were walking off, I saw Cedric Tillman make a real nice catch on a slant around the five-yard line.
Jeremy Banks as expected was back on the practice field today after missing Tuesday to handle a personal matter.
Roman Harrison was doing work with the inside linebackers - then when that is over, he joined the defensive line. Curious to see how they use him these fall.
e.cain

The order on Wednesday appeared to mirror what it was on Tuesday with Milton followed by Bailey then Hooker, but Wednesday's work made things a little more difficult to discern. During routes-on-air, there were two of them throwing together and for some reps even three of them as the Vols worked on goal-line rub routes and combo concepts.
The routes-on-air period was much crisper than the last time Tennessee worked on end-zone routes with the quarterbacks demonstrating much better accuracy while throwing on the move with some quick rollouts.
The depth in Tennessee's secondary has been vastly improved by some athletic newcomers. Freshman De'Shawn Rucker has joined transfers Brandon Turnage and Kamal Hadden in working at cornerback, while Christian Charles primarily reps at safety. Turnage and Rucker have clear explosiveness and the Alabama transfer has been physical in drills, particularly earlier in camp when he battles the wide receivers in one-on-one work
On the defensive line, Byron Young continues to look the part going through drills and the Vols should have some quickness up front with LaTrell Bumphus back healthy and sophomores Omari Thomas and Bryson Eason.
Freshman Jaylen Wright has a noticeable burst and quickness about him even in drills and he almost glides as he covers ground quickly. The group has good variety with smaller, compact backs like Jabari Small and Tiyon Evans and bigger runners like Dee Beckwith and Tee Hodge.
If Wednesday's individual period was any indication, Tennessee's starting offensive line right now would appear to be Darnell Wright at left tackle, Jerome Carvin at left guard, Cooper Mays at center, Javontez Spraggins at right guard and Cade Mays (who had multiple NFL scouts watching him go through drills) at right tackle.
p.brown

Freshman Kaemen Marley was limited again today, but JaVonta Payton and Jimmy Holliday were participating in drills while we were out there. Velus Jones Jr. was limited on Tuesday in live action periods and I suspect that will be the case today, as they don’t want to aggravate any kind of injury. It’s better to be cautious in most circumstances.
Jerome Carvin continues to impress, especially with his speed coming off the line. Darnell Wright was working at left tackle and has really gotten himself in better shape, which is a testament to his off-season work ethic.
Continue to be impressed by LaTrell Bumphus. He looks quick and shows no signs of the leg injury that ended his 2020 season. Outside pass rushers were doing some separate work from the interior lineman. Included in that pass rushing group was Tyler Baron, Byron Young, Morven Joseph, Roman Harrison and others
t.wallace

Last edited:
If he’s gone, I wish him well. From what I saw on the field, he gave his all for the team. Hopefully he can find a good landing spot and be a starter. I remember the game his freshman year where JG was banged up or got his helmet knocked off and BM was ready to run out onto the field and take the snap without the coaches even sending him in. Not many freshman would be eager and ready to do that in that situation.

After his cryptic twitter post the other day, if he transfers, it won't come as a surprise. Hope he gets an opportunity to ball out wherever he goes.

Reactions: feathersax
We will never know how good he might have been, he was always hurt. Which once again brings up the old NFL adage about how the most important ability is availability.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I bet Bailey is next. I can never pick the winner of a QB showdown, but if I were Heupel I would absolutely favor the two quarterbacks who allow me to install the same scheme and know that they both could execute it if need be. That's Hooker and Milton. HB will never be a threat with his feet.

WIth Hooker and Milton, I have one scheme that both quarterbacks can execute should the need arise.

I bet Bailey is next. I can never pick the winner of a QB showdown, but if I were Heupel I would absolutely favor the two quarterbacks who allow me to install the same scheme and know that they both could execute it if need be. That's Hooker and Milton. HB will never be a threat with his feet.

WIth Hooker and Milton, I have one scheme that both quarterbacks can execute should the need arise.
HB doesn't have to be a threat with his feet. Matter of fact Drew Locke was 0 threat with the feet. Running is not a prerequisite of running JH's playbook. I am sure it helps but not required. HB damn sure looked good running JH's scheme in the O&W game. That said the other two may be better at it right now.

VN Store

Back