2021 College World Series Game Discussion Thread: Bracket 1 and Bracket 2 (excluding Tennessee)

You know I know that, but that’s not really what I asked is it?
Vandymania is a joke. VandySports.com is a terrific site. I no longer wish to be involved in that community due to the divide between people who can and cannot have honest discussions about the abhorrent state of the VU athletics department.

Reactions: Crossvilleman
Vandymania is a joke. VandySports.com is a terrific site. I no longer wish to be involved in that community due to the divide between people who can and cannot have honest discussions about the abhorrent state of the VU athletics department.

If VandySports is the new hang, again, I ask, with 1 game to go…what are y’all doing here? I don’t think it’s an unfair question.

Reactions: feathersax
If VandySports is the new hang, again, I ask, with 1 game to go…what are y’all doing here? I don’t think it’s an unfair question.
Look guys (Vandy fans), what he's trying to say is:

Thanks for coming. Really, we appreciate you being here.....BUT.....

Whether you win the National Asterisk or not, we Vol fans know that TV has the BaseVols rolling at an unstoppable pace. We know we will soon usurp you guys as the baseball power in TN and relegate your team back to the dumpster fire that is the rest of your athletic, and I really do use that term lightly, department.

So, you know, you're being here really just makes us all feel guilty for what we are about to do to you, so....it's just uncomfortable having you here.

So, you know, get lost, in the kindest way I can say it. I mean, he can correct me if I'm wrong, but that's the vibe I'm getting from 66. And myself. And others. You had a good run.

Deuces.

Whether you win the National Asterisk or not, we Vol fans know that TV has the BaseVols rolling at an unstoppable pace. We know we will soon usurp you guys as the baseball power in TN and relegate your team back to the dumpster fire that is the rest of your athletic, and I really do use that term lightly, department.

So, you know, you're being here really just makes us all feel guilty for what we are about to do to you, so....it's just uncomfortable having you here.

So, you know, get lost, in the kindest way I can say it. I mean, he can correct me if I'm wrong, but that's the vibe I'm getting from 66. And myself. And others. You had a good run.

Deuces.

I’ve never been accused of not speaking my mind.

GBO!!!

Reactions: feathersax
Very likely because State had a disproportionately large number of unvaccinated people in their traveling party. Vandy had none. Everyone knew what would happen if you tested positive in Omaha. Everyone. How dumb do you have to be to be traveling to the CWS and choose to not get vaccinated?
Everybody knew that the NCAA would start testing vaccinated players as well? You’re very hung up on calling people dumb and selfish for not getting the vaccine; we get it you’re a sheep who believes everyone dies from catching it and takes out 10 others with them along the way. Instead of focusing on the absurdity of the NCAA’s testing protocols, hypocrisy in encouraging full crowds and screwing young men out of the opportunity of a lifetime you choose to insult young people with practically a 0% chance of dying, for not getting a shot that’s been out for 5 months.

Deuces.
Vitello is good but to say that Vanderbilt is going to become a nobody team is laughable. They will be a National powerhouse for a while under Corbin. Then Bakich or Holiday comes back.

I don’t have a subscription. It’s a wholly paid baseball community.

Everybody knew that the NCAA would start testing vaccinated players as well? You’re very hung up on calling people dumb and selfish for not getting the vaccine; we get it you’re a sheep who believes everyone dies from catching it and takes out 10 others with them along the way. Instead of focusing on the absurdity of the NCAA’s testing protocols, hypocrisy in encouraging full crowds and screwing young men out of the opportunity of a lifetime you choose to insult young people with practically a 0% chance of dying, for not getting a shot that’s been out for 5 months.

You miss my point entirely.

I’m not arguing for the medical value of testing players at this point. I believe there is virtually none. As do you.

Calling me names is not only juvenile, it’s not even accurate. As I have stated many times: I do not agree with the whole testing protocol for the tournament, PERIOD.

The issue here is the NCAA made rules and procedures you agreed to by choosing to participate in the tournament. You knew what would happen if you tested positive and still took that risk. To cry about the outcome of something you knew would happen if you didn’t get vaccinated and tested positive is pretty disingenuous. If you didn’t agree to the testing protocols then why did you agree to the testing protocols?

Last edited:

Deuces.
If the publisher wishes to cancel my account because I am not a Tennessee fan, he/she can do that. It’s their site.

Reactions: Crossvilleman

I’m not arguing for the medical value of testing players at this point. I believe there is virtually none. As do you.

The issue here is the NCAA made rules and procedures you agreed to by choosing to participate in the tournament. You knew what would happen if you tested positive and still took that risk. To cry about the outcome of something you knew would happen if you didn’t get vaccinated and tested positive is pretty stupid.

Your posts consistently emphasize that it was irresponsible of someone to not get a vaccine before going to Omaha, and that you have zero sympathy for someone who didn't and then gets the virus and tests positive. This is an experimental vaccine that has not been long-term tested for negative side effects. In other words, it's a great big unknown. Each person has to weigh that risk against the consequences of not getting the shot. No doubt some of these players have underlying health issues, such as controlled asthma, or perhaps a family history of heart problems at early age, etc. There has been a lot of chatter about abnormal number of cases of myocarditis, etc. Some of these guys may have been advised not to take the shot. Your posts seem to not acknowledge any of this.

The issue here is the NCAA made rules and procedures you agreed to by choosing to participate in the tournament. You knew what would happen if you tested positive and still took that risk. To cry about the outcome of something you knew would happen if you didn’t get vaccinated and tested positive is pretty stupid.

You’re missing the point, they CONTACT TRACED & QUARANTINED guys with a NEGATIVE TEST. What’s the point of the test if you’re not going to trust and follow it? NCSU had 8 positive cases by Friday at midnight, they traveled with 27 on the roster. That leaves 19 players NEGATIVE & ELIGIBLE (based on the NCAA’s own testing of ALL 27 guys). They played with 13 guys just 10 hours earlier so no doubt they would’ve pushed on with 19 guys. Instead the NCAA put all 19 in de facto quarantine. Why!?

The whole point of contact tracing and quarantining 15 months ago was to find the people who may have been exposed and keep them from spreading it if they were infected, before we had sufficient testing. Once we got sufficient testing it was to send those contacts to get tested for confirmation. The NCAA had both sufficient numbers of tests and real time confirmation that the other 19 players were negative. Yet they enacted protocols like it was March 2020. The issue has NOTHING to do with guys choosing to get or not get the vaccine and then wondering (or your words of crying) about their season being cancelled because of positives. The question should only be why were the other 19 guys denied the opportunity to press on if we “follow the science”? 8 positive tests can’t be accepted as infallible while 19 corresponding negatives are assigned as possible false negatives or it’s too early to detect a presence.

Last edited:
You’re missing the point, they CONTACT TRACED & QUARANTINED guys with a NEGATIVE TEST. What’s the point of the test if you’re not going to trust and follow it? NCSU had 8 positive cases by Friday at midnight, they traveled with 27 on the roster. That leaves 19 players NEGATIVE & ELIGIBLE (based on the NCAA’s own testing of ALL 27 guys). They played with 13 guys just 10 hours earlier so no doubt they would’ve pushed on with 19 guys. Instead the NCAA put all 19 in de facto quarantine. Why!?

The whole point of contact tracing and quarantining 15 months ago was to find the people who may have been exposed and keep them from spreading it if they were infected, before we had sufficient testing. Once we got sufficient testing it was to send those contacts to get tested for confirmation. The NCAA had both sufficient numbers of tests and real time confirmation that the other 19 players were negative. Yet they enacted protocols like it was March 2020. The issue has NOTHING to do with guys choosing to get or not get the vaccine and then wondering (or your words of crying) about their season being cancelled because of positives. The question should only be why were the other 19 guys denied the opportunity to press on if we “follow the science”? 8 positive tests can’t be accepted as infallible while 19 corresponding negatives are assigned as possible false negatives or it’s too early to detect a presence.

Lots of chatter about this. Consensus comes down to two reasoning frameworks. First, NCAA always wants to avoid liability. Second, NC State played JT Jarrett and others who knowingly exhibited symptoms for the first two games. The theory is that the NCAA didn't look kindly upon that revelation.

However, the NCAA sucks a fat cock at being transparent, so odds are no one will ever 100% know without a leak or inside access.

Also, the 8+ NC State players tested positive for the COVID delta variant that has buzzwords like "highly contagious" and "unknown lethality" attached to it. Bureaucracies like the NCAA run for the hills in these situations.

Lots of chatter about this. Consensus comes down to two reasoning frameworks. First, NCAA always wants to avoid liability. Second, NC State played JT Jarrett and others who knowingly exhibited symptoms for the first two games. The theory is that the NCAA didn't look kindly upon that revelation.

However, the NCAA sucks a fat cock at being transparent, so odds are no one will ever 100% know without a leak or inside access.
Kendall Rogers interviewed multiple people within the NCAA and NCSU before writing his timeline. So we have to trust the information they provided is legit and if it is, then there’s enough there for NCSU and the baseball world at large to press them on why those 19 were made to test and still held out. If you’re making me take a test and are still going to hold me out then there’s no point in going through with the test.

The NCAA wants to avoid liability? Yet they open the stadium up to 100% capacity? The NCAA cares about $. An all SEC matchup has the eyes of the entire South on it at minimum, Vandy is a “national” university with an alumni base all over the country so there are at least some eyes in non-traditional baseball hotspots and combine all that with the repeat/defending their title story line and Vanderbilt vs. MS St/TX looks a lot more intriguing and profitable.

Kendall Rogers interviewed multiple people within the NCAA and NCSU before writing his timeline. So we have to trust the information they provided is legit and if it is, then there’s enough there for NCSU and the baseball world at large to press them on why those 19 were made to test and still held out. If you’re making me take a test and are still going to hold me out then there’s no point in going through with the test.

The NCAA wants to avoid liability? Yet they open the stadium up to 100% capacity? The NCAA cares about $. An all SEC matchup has the eyes of the entire South on it at minimum, Vandy is a “national” university with an alumni base all over the country so there are at least some eyes in non-traditional baseball hotspots and combine all that with the repeat/defending their title story line and Vanderbilt vs. MS St/TX looks a lot more intriguing and profitable.

I don't disagree with that narrative either. It just seems hard to believe that nobody who was upset internally leaked that information to the public. Seems like high-value (and high cash-value) information to sell to news outlets.

I also don't get the demeanor from NC State's chancellor and head coach. I would be pissed, upset, and lash out passive-aggressively. They aren't doing that which makes me curious as to why. Maybe they are just great people. I don't know 100%.

I don't disagree with that narrative either. It just seems hard to believe that nobody who was upset internally leaked that information to the public. Seems like high-value (and high cash-value) information to sell to news outlets.

I also don't get the demeanor from NC State's chancellor and head coach. I would be pissed, upset, and lash out passive-aggressively. They aren't doing that which makes me curious as to why. Maybe they are just great people. I don't know 100%.

Reading everything I have from their side they say these were the rules and we knew what would happen. My guess is they know they’re fighting a losing battle because of implied consent to this type of situation or they’re going to take it up the ladder and it’s probably not wise to be airing laundry and bad mouthing your legal opponent in the public. They have said their request to try and test Justice out of quarantine was denied; he later tested positive so I guess it’s moot. As well as their request to play a double header Saturday and let the results of the unvaccinated players, sent to testing at noon on Friday, come back; all of which came back negative Friday night. The NCAA had their mind made up from the beginning and told the world we’re not trusting negative tests from unvaccinated players, the moment they refused to let Justice try and test out of quarantine. Call me tinfoil but the underlying political subtleties are there; more ammo to push vaccination and shine a light on a southern, land-grant school and it’s supporters who are in all likelihood to be more apt to avoid the vaccine. MS State falls into that category too but the NCAA knew as we all did that if State was playing on Monday they would pile in in droves and the bank would keep printing money hand over fist.

Your posts consistently emphasize that it was irresponsible of someone to not get a vaccine before going to Omaha, and that you have zero sympathy for someone who didn't and then gets the virus and tests positive. This is an experimental vaccine that has not been long-term tested for negative side effects. In other words, it's a great big unknown. Each person has to weigh that risk against the consequences of not getting the shot. No doubt some of these players have underlying health issues, such as controlled asthma, or perhaps a family history of heart problems at early age, etc. There has been a lot of chatter about abnormal number of cases of myocarditis, etc. Some of these guys may have been advised not to take the shot. Your posts seem to not acknowledge any of this.
First, the number of issues related to myocarditis is so small that it is trivial from a clinical trials outcomes standpoint. But that’s not the point.

I agree every person has the right to not get vaccinated. That is their choice.

But if you make that choice and know what could happen if you test positive, then why should we empathize with their plight? If you truly want to take a stand on not getting vaccinated, then you should choose to not attend the CWS. The outcome could end up exactly as it did, with not just you but your entire team getting disqualified.

Every school/team agrees to accept total responsibility for the health of their traveling group. Every group member has agreed to their personal responsibility to be forthcoming about their health situation. Avett himself said the team had several players “fighting a bug” —that bug, it turned out, was Covid.

NC State was responsible to get sick members of their group away from the group and everyone else in Omaha, and get them tested. They not only didn’t do that, they let those kids play in several games.

No matter what you think of the NCAA rules, NC state agreed to them and flaunted them. They got exactly what they knew was coming if this happened.

It’s all about liability and future lawsuits with the NCAA. NC State had 8 players test positive and 10 more unvaccinated (I am myself and probably won’t get it) if anyone of those players played with Covid then the NCAA is afraid that in 5 years they will sue the NCAA for allowing them to play and claim it hurt their chances in the Majors. You are looking at a 100 million dollar lawsuit for each player. Covid affects the heart and lungs of young people and someone who gets a damaged lung or heart probably won’t play baseball professionally. I have lost friends and family to Covid but support everyone’s freedom of choice. The NCAA is in CYA mode and would rather have a team advance by forfeit than have to deal with lawsuits for years. The TSSAA has all kinds of forms I had to sign dealing with Covid and any attempt by me as a parent to hide my daughter having Covid would have caused her team to be disqualified from all competitions. She has to agree to be tested to be eligible to play. The NCAA has even stricter policies.

It’s all about liability and future lawsuits with the NCAA. NC State had 8 players test positive and 10 more unvaccinated (I am myself and probably won’t get it) if anyone of those players played with Covid then the NCAA is afraid that in 5 years they will sue the NCAA for allowing them to play and claim it hurt their chances in the Majors. You are looking at a 100 million dollar lawsuit for each player. Covid affects the heart and lungs of young people and someone who gets a damaged lung or heart probably won’t play baseball professionally. I have lost friends and family to Covid but support everyone’s freedom of choice. The NCAA is in CYA mode and would rather have a team advance by forfeit than have to deal with lawsuits for years. The TSSAA has all kinds of forms I had to sign dealing with Covid and any attempt by me as a parent to hide my daughter having Covid would have caused her team to be disqualified from all competitions. She has to agree to be tested to be eligible to play. The NCAA has even stricter policies.

They were tested and tested NEGATIVE. Why do you keep saying if they played with Covid they could later sue; we know they wouldn’t be playing with Covid if we trust the tests. If we don’t trust the tests then we don’t trust the tests across the board; not just the negatives. Does the NCAA not carry any liability for an unvaccinated fan who “contracts it while sitting” in a full stadium? Nobody forced the fan there right? They’re there on their own accord. Just like nobody would’ve forced NCSU players to play, they would’ve played on their own accord.

First, the number of issues related to myocarditis is so small that it is trivial from a clinical trials outcomes standpoint. But that’s not the point.

But if you make that choice and know what could happen if you test positive, then why should we empathize with their plight? If you truly want to take a stand on not getting vaccinated, then you should choose to not attend the CWS. The outcome could end up exactly as it did, with not just you but your entire team getting disqualified.

Again, and not to be antagonistic - just conversing here - You seem to think anyone not getting the vaccine is "taking a stand on not getting vaccinated." That may not be the case at all. Some of these players might be advised by medical people not to get vaccinated because of some condition that runs in their family. The player might prefer to get it so he doesn't have to worry about the team, but can't. Maybe he goes and through no fault of his own he gets the virus. You can't empathize with that? You seem to think anyone who doesn't get vaccinated does so for political reasons. There's real life medicine going on here.

Touch on the damn issue at hand instead of deflecting to “should’ve been vaccinated to avoid this issue”. Which is, they had 19 negative players yet were still forced to forfeit the game and quarantine for 7 days upon their return like they were positive. Again it has nothing to do with the 8 positives (or 4 unvaccinated positives) it’s the other 19 who were “clean”.

They had 4 vaccinated players test positive. If the whole team had been vaccinated and Avent still comes out and says we have a bug going around (which is possible) what stops the NCAA from not testing everyone on the team anyways, as they did.

They were tested and tested NEGATIVE. Why do you keep saying if they played with Covid they could later sue; we know they wouldn’t be playing with Covid if we trust the tests. If we don’t trust the tests then we don’t trust the tests across the board; not just the negatives. Does the NCAA not carry any liability for an unvaccinated fan who “contracts it while sitting” in a full stadium? Nobody forced the fan there right? They’re there on their own accord. Just like nobody would’ve forced NCSU players to play, they would’ve played on their own accord.
Take your fanhood and hate of Vanderbilt out of this and think.
A NC State player tests negative but has already been exposed to Covid. He is carrying the virus while playing for the NC vs Ms St. Will Bednar is pitching for the Bulldogs in game 3. The player hits one to 1st and Bednar runs to cover 1st the player and Bednar and the player collide and are on the ground the NC State coughs on Bednar while he is on the ground. Bednar contracts Covid and is sick for 2 weeks and has lung damage. 2 years later He is drafted 7th overall and the lung issue is discovered during a physical and he’s told he probably should not play anymore. He just lost possibly 100 million dollars and can trace his lung issue back the CWS game vs NC State. Who suddenly becomes liable for allowing Covid carriers to play vs him?

While this may seem off the wall but it’s exactly how the NCAA’s lawyers are thinking. They do not care who wins the NC or who they PO their job is to cover the NCAA’s rear end!

VN Store

Back