2021 Coaching Soap Opera:

Bob Stoops named Oklahoma interim head coach after Lincoln Riley departure - Sports Illustrated

I could see Bob Stoops returning full time to Oklahoma. He's still young enough to do the job. After all, it worked for Bill Snyder at KState and Saban is 70 now and hasn't missed a beat.
It'll be an interesting meeting after the game if Bob Stoops and Josh Heupel play.

Also, Coach Heupel might get a bigger reception in Norman than Coach Stoops.

I'm in. I think the SEC will eat Bob Stoops for breakfast, as it would've Lincoln Riley.

It'll be an interesting meeting after the game if Bob Stoops and Josh Heupel play.

Also, Coach Heupel might get a bigger reception in Norman than Coach Stoops.

I'm in. I think the SEC will eat Bob Stoops for breakfast, as it would've Lincoln Riley.
Stoops could also wear the interim tag for just one season giving OU time to find a coach. Jim Grobe came out of retirement for one season to allow Baylor to find Matt Rhule. It gave Rhule time to put together a staff and to recruit.

Reactions: SayUWantAreVOLution
Stoops could also wear the interim tag for just one season giving OU time to find a coach. Jim Grobe came out of retirement for one season to allow Baylor to find Matt Rhule. It gave Rhule time to put together a staff and to recruit.
Chaotic for recruiting, though. Trust me. Heupel came late.

Not that I care, as OU will surely be in the SEC West whenever they settle with the B12 and their road won't be smooth. Ask aTm.

Reactions: BUBear
I'm still not convinced Jimbo doesn't bolt for LSU.

Until the Tigahs announce differently, I will remain convinced so regardless of what he or anyone else says publicly.

The fact that LSU has been so quiet today also leads me to believe negotiations may be ongoing.

Reactions: Firebirdparts
LSU only plum opening currently open after Florida and Southern California fill their vacancies today.

Bob Stoops named Oklahoma interim head coach after Lincoln Riley departure - Sports Illustrated

I could see Bob Stoops returning full time to Oklahoma. He's still young enough to do the job. After all, it worked for Bill Snyder at KState and Saban is 70 now and hasn't missed a beat.
Call me naive, but Stoops's "I'm retiring because I don't want to die on the football field like by dad did" rationale actually seems genuine to me. I was skeptical at first but eventually came around. When he stepped away, Oklahoma was in fantastic shape (not an Urban leaving Florida situation) and he's only stepped back into coaching in low pressure/limited ways since (XFL, now interim coach).

I am sure, like most coaches who retire, he misses gameday but it is recruiting plus all the non-football crap they have to deal with that wears these guys out.

Reactions: tbwhhs and BUBear
Some commentator said today that, collectively, schools are paying ~$500 million to various coaches NOT to coach their teams.

Insane. The model, if there is one, is broken.

Yeah, If I'm not wrong, I believe UF alone is still om the hook for 2 or 3 former coaches plus Napier coming in.

Jeff Lebby to OU?
Didn’t he coach there at one time?
Can we be clear on Lebby, he didn't call the offense under Heupel and he sure as hell isn't calling plays under Kiffin. He was a student assistant aka ball boy at OU for 4 years. He's not qualified for a HC job

Despite Kiffin's Louisiana tweet, I'm picturing him with a Sooners visor....................................

I'm not sure about full time, but I could see him staying for the 2022 season just to provide stability to the program while a targeted coaching search gets going. I'll give Joe C all the credit in the world for making good hires in the money making sports and I'd bet OU comes up with a solid hire that keeps them at a high level.

As I said in another thread, OU is a college Blue Blood and finding the right coach won't be a hard task. It may not be a "big name" hire, but I'd be willing to bet they stay close to where Riley got them.

I'm not sure about full time, but I could see him staying for the 2022 season just to provide stability to the program while a targeted coaching search gets going. I'll give Joe C all the credit in the world for making good hires in the money making sports and I'd bet OU comes up with a solid hire that keeps them at a high level.

As I said in another thread, OU is a college Blue Blood and finding the right coach won't be a hard task. It may not be a "big name" hire, but I'd be willing to bet they stay close to where Riley got them.
I think it was good for both Riley and Oklahoma that Riley left. I read an article a few months ago that rings true, Aranda is building an SEC defense in the BIG XII. Riley's three lowest yardage outputs as coach of OU have been against Aranda:

#1. Baylor-2021
#2. Baylor-2020
#3. LSU-2019

We should have beat them last year in our crap season but Larry Fedora and Joe Wickline suck. Anyways, SEC defenses would soon figure him out.

Reactions: Glocker_Alum_2005
I think it was good for both Riley and Oklahoma that Riley left.

Even better for Baylor, right?

lulz

There really isn't a rhyme or reason as to why he left since OU probably would have matched (or closely matched) whatever he's going to get salary wise from USC. I see some of our mouthbreathers in the FF keep saying USCw is a "destination" job that recruits itself. Yeah, hasn't recruited itself in some years. Anyway, OU recruits itself as well and holds it's own in pulling talent from CA, TX, FL and keeping most of the in state talent at home.

It really is odd he left. If they are paying him like ten figures a year, there is that. But it's not like USCw is an equal as of the last decade or so.

Venables , I thought this was going to be announced at 3:00 on Monday. ;)

I think Finkel goes to ND and really thought Bob Stoops to Oklahoma but if Sooners can get Veneables that would be huge.

VN Store

Back