2021 5-Star Makur Maker Commits to Howard

There’s no built-in fanbase for HBCUs, so this is an anomaly as opposed to a paradigm shift. Even if you started seeing more ‘21 5 stars commit to HBCUs, there’s just no way to sustain fan interest on a long term basis considering the lack of scheduling opportunities and location of the schools.

This. I must admit this thread is filled with sensationalism though. This player never knew where he wanted to go.

Good for Howard U. I'd like to see how much better he makes them at that level if he plays.

Having been on several HBCU campuses, including Howard U, the cultural experience is awesome and you will have the same campus popularity as an athlete as anywhere. Having said that, players will go to the big schools for the same reason we saw less and less players like Too Tall and Richard Dent going to the TSU's of the world since the 70's. Resources, the big stage, development, etc. Then you still get a lot of culture and the pretty girls. It's just the facts.

Last edited:
Take a stand against what?
Racist caricatures I would surmise...

I don't know that where one attends college is 'taking a stand'. It's a comfort thing. A place he can actually relax and be himself around other people like him who aren't oblivious to way things are. He's said as much himself. Somewhere he can go play and if he wants to have an opinion on something he won't have people screaming 'shut up and dribble' at him.

If he was on the NBA's radar before this, one season at Howard isn't going to take Him off of it. If Zion went to Florida A&M instead of Duke, he'd still would have been lottery pick. If an elite level Black athlete plans on being a one and done, why not go to an HBCU ?! Basketball aside, the educational and social aspect alone would make it worth it.

With so many people wanting to cancel anything having to do with America’s (“racist”) history, It’s ironic for those same people to promote colleges which were created due to segregation. Especially when it seems like the intent is to become further segregated. I thought that was a bad thing. It would be great if they realized that instead we can focus on the good in our history and learn from the bad and grow stronger from it. HBCU’s could serve as that example. Colleges which emphasize education as the great equalizer - graduates that go on to prove that anyone can make it in this country regardless of skin color.

If he was on the NBA's radar before this, one season at Howard isn't going to take Him off of it. If Zion went to Florida A&M instead of Duke, he'd still would have been lottery pick. If an elite level Black athlete plans on being a one and done, why not go to an HBCU ?! Basketball aside, the educational and social aspect alone would make it worth it.
Zion didn't have as much to prove as maker does. I don't know what you mean by the educational aspect would make it worth it, as if they aren't even really there for school it doesn't really matter, and I don't know how HBCU stacks up against non-HBCU schools. Socially might make sense, but also going to a big time school allows you to build a bigger fanbase. Honestly if you're a big time player, the G League route is the best way to go. No better way to train to be a professional than being a professional.

Zion didn't have as much to prove as maker does. I don't know what you mean by the educational aspect would make it worth it, as if they aren't even really there for school it doesn't really matter, and I don't know how HBCU stacks up against non-HBCU schools. Socially might make sense, but also going to a big time school allows you to build a bigger fanbase. Honestly if you're a big time player, the G League route is the best way to go. No better way to train to be a professional than being a professional.
I think I read the G league might still be an option for him

I assume this is a PR move. He will forego college and either go G League or sit out a year to enter the draft the next year. Or by then, the rule has changed and he can go straight to the NBA. I could very well be wrong. Good for him if he sticks with this commitment and uses it in a positive way, I just have my doubts.

I assume this is a PR move. He will forego college and either go G League or sit out a year to enter the draft the next year. Or by then, the rule has changed and he can go straight to the NBA. I could very well be wrong. Good for him if he sticks with this commitment and uses it in a positive way, I just have my doubts.
Don't make assumptions.

Reactions: Purple Tiger
This is bigger than basketball. Environment play a huge part in anyone's success or failure. He might consider staying in school and completing His education at this institution. He may do so because He feels the university is genuinely invested in Him as an individual, and not just a 5-star athlete. Howard has one of the best medical programs in the country, so it's not like he's missing out on a quality education.

Reactions: Purple Tiger
This is bigger than basketball. Environment play a huge part in anyone's success or failure. He might consider staying in school and completing His education at this institution. He may do so because He feels the university is genuinely invested in Him as an individual, and not just a 5-star athlete. Howard has one of the best medical programs in the country, so it's not like he's missing out on a quality education.
If he's going into the medical field then that is good news. My point is, at this point in his life, it is about basketball. It's gotta be about capitalizing on your gifts while you have a chance. Not saying Howard can't do that for him, but I can say that other schools or the G League will certainly be better paths for basketball. School will always be there. If his point his to stay more than 1 year, then it could make sense to go there for school, but if he is just wanting to be a one and done, it doesn't make a lot of sense.

Let’s see if this sticks first. I don’t see many if any players following suit. They have three options now, G league, P5 type schools or HBCU. If you are good you can make it NBA through any of these. However, you can go to G league and make some money and live pretty well, go to P5 school and live pretty well or go HBCU. I have nothing against HBCU schools but let’s just say a lot of them are not really nice places. They just don’t have the funds to supply the luxuries you get at a P5 type school. So any player that makes that choice will have to agree to give those things up.

This kid will eventually change his mind and decide to head straight to the g league, imo.

Howard is in the top 125 as far as medical schools are concerned. Duke is 12th and Vandy is 18th as a regional comparison. That being said, no one knows the reasons and factors as to why he chose what he chose. It is his decision to choose where he wants to play. Kudos to those who follow their hearts.

I thought you guys might want to know that Howard University is ranked 104th in national universities (by “US News And World Report”), tied with....The University of Tennessee, Knoxville.

Kinda sad that we're just 104th. UT has some truly top-notch programs, like their Nuclear Engineering and Supply Chain programs, but 104th isn't great.

Reactions: walkenvol
Kinda sad that we're just 104th. UT has some truly top-notch programs, like their Nuclear Engineering and Supply Chain programs, but 104th isn't great.
its not as bad as it sounds. There are over 4000 Degree granting universities in the US and US news ranks over 1400. so being in the top 100ish is more like being in the top 10ish compared to the types oof rankings we normally follow. Without some sort of value assigned it impossible to compare them directly here is the methodology they used https://www.usnews.com/education/best-colleges/articles/how-us-news-calculated-the-rankings
It factors in so many different things the numbers don't really mean much by themselves. For instance, UT is a much bigger school than Howard and 20% of the score is Faculty Resources. Because of the sheer size difference, Howard can make a small investment and score lots more. A 5 million donation to UT is a drop in the bucket, maybe upgrade a single small department. At Howard it would be enough to change the whole campus in a big way. TSU graduate here

With so many people wanting to cancel anything having to do with America’s (“racist”) history, It’s ironic for those same people to promote colleges which were created due to segregation. Especially when it seems like the intent is to become further segregated. I thought that was a bad thing. It would be great if they realized that instead we can focus on the good in our history and learn from the bad and grow stronger from it. HBCU’s could serve as that example. Colleges which emphasize education as the great equalizer - graduates that go on to prove that anyone can make it in this country regardless of skin color.
1000000 likes!!!! Preach it brother!!! This seems like such a simple concept and the best pathway to real lasting change. Yet it seems to be so foreign to most.

I've always questioned why at least a few top notch players didn't commit to schools that are off the radar.

I mean there are probably around 200 teams that if a 5 star committed, they'd be a hero overnight.

Big fish in a big pond vs Big fish in a small pond argument.

This may be more about HBCUs but I wouldn't mind seeing more kids go this route to try to be legends at smaller schools.
Loyola Marymount

Racist caricatures I would surmise...

I don't know that where one attends college is 'taking a stand'. It's a comfort thing. A place he can actually relax and be himself around other people like him who aren't oblivious to way things are. He's said as much himself. Somewhere he can go play and if he wants to have an opinion on something he won't have people screaming 'shut up and dribble' at him.
I’m sure a 5 star recruit isn’t going to have any attention, pressure or eyes on him.

I know a better way. Don’t play sports at all. No pressure at all. I didn’t even know who he was until this so I guess that didn’t exactly work how he wanted.

its not as bad as it sounds. There are over 4000 Degree granting universities in the US and US news ranks over 1400. so being in the top 100ish is more like being in the top 10ish compared to the types oof rankings we normally follow. Without some sort of value assigned it impossible to compare them directly here is the methodology they used https://www.usnews.com/education/best-colleges/articles/how-us-news-calculated-the-rankings
It factors in so many different things the numbers don't really mean much by themselves. For instance, UT is a much bigger school than Howard and 20% of the score is Faculty Resources. Because of the sheer size difference, Howard can make a small investment and score lots more. A 5 million donation to UT is a drop in the bucket, maybe upgrade a single small department. At Howard it would be enough to change the whole campus in a big way. TSU graduate here
Howard's endowment is $692.8 million while Tennessee's is $1.355 billion. It's worth noting that Tennessee has about three times as many students, so on a per student basis Howard's is higher. While indeed a $5 million donation would have a higher impact at Howard, I would not describe it as a drop in the bucket vs transformative.

Howard has long had a reputation of being a pretty good school whereas Tennessee definitely has not. The fact that we are now tied is not at all a bad thing.

Reactions: VolDaddy61
If you think the intention of those who attend HBCUs is to segregate, then you really have no clue. Why don't you ask someone who attends, or has attended one ?! I doubt you hear the word "segregate" come up in your conversation.

If you think the intention of those who attend HBCUs is to segregate, then you really have no clue. Why don't you ask someone who attends, or has attended one ?! I doubt you hear the word "segregate" come up in your conversation.
Lol. You don’t grasp context do you

VN Store

Back