2020 Target List

Yea our current Top 6 is gone within 2 years, obviously player development is going to be huge as is Josiah James sticking around for 2-3 years and hitting on the guys like Gaines and Pember they just took and also landing some guys ready to contribute right away in the 2020 class.

Next season doesn’t worry me much as we essentially lose Schofield/Alexander but gain James/Burns, to me that swap plus development of Johnson/Pons/Walker/Fulk is at the very least a wash on paper and possibly an upgrade. That’s not even touching on the potential addition of Kessler or a graduate transfer big.

Vols expecting the following for next Saturday’s home game against UK...

#11 Jaden Springer
#19 Walker Kessler
#29 Corey Walker Jr.
#34 Keon Johnson (possible)
#49 Jayden Stone
#60 Jalen Cone
#115 Keon Ambrose
Add #11 Jaden Springer to the list, he will be an official visitor this weekend...seems somewhat significant given he hasn’t taken any other OV’s this year.

Keon's Johnson's team plays Friday at 5:00 pm and if they win I believe they will play Saturday for the Div. II A championship. So he may not make it for the UK game either.

Add #11 Jaden Springer to the list, he will be an official visitor this weekend...seems somewhat significant given he hasn’t taken any other OV’s this year.

Think a commitment from anyone on this list would be likely this weekend or are most of them still a ways off from committing?

Does Grant return for next year? That would be awesome and provide a bridge for new players.

More than likely, he could declare but given his size it doesn't hurt to wait another year and rack up accolades.

With him staying and Burns replacing Schofield and throw in James, we could be just as good.

More than likely, he could declare but given his size it doesn't hurt to wait another year and rack up accolades.

With him staying and Burns replacing Schofield and throw in James, we could be just as good.
I’m all on board with that GBO!!!!!!

Articles mention Ruzhentsev and Ambrose-Hylton...

BasketballRecruiting.Rivals.com - Breakout session: Juniors who could see their stock take off

On Ambrose-Hylton: Why his stock could rise: He's got size, he's got a broadening skill set and he is playing with tons of confidence. Reviews on him all season have been good and he's coming off of a big performance at Basketball Without Borders. We should already have him ranked higher than his current spot of No. 115, but we'll fix that in the next rankings update. He's got a chance to be recruited at the highest level.

On Ruzhentsev: Why his stock could rise: From what I've been able to see on film of Ruzhentsev, he's got very good wing size, is bouncy, shoots with some range and has little juice in his game. It's not going to be any kind of surprise to see him move into at least the top 100 pretty quickly this spring. It's just a matter of seeing him replicate what he does on film in person. He's entering the spring with a big buzz around him.

That's kind of what I was thinking. He would follow Schofield's last year where he just had NBA evaluate him without signing with an agent. Love Grant's game as a college player but at best he's not in the mold of a NBA forward as the game is played today size wise.

I think if the Vols win, Corey Walker commits and even if we lose, I think it is a very high possibility, he still commits. I think Walker wants to be coached/pushed hard by Barnes and company. If his Mom catches the UT vibe, imo Walker almost has his mind made up. Vols are in on a bunch a big time players (top 75) and he obviously wants in and the spots are open, right now. So while he can get in (Yes, even tho Walker is ranked around 33rd, I think he knows, he better get in, considering his size and position are not a priority, right now), he will. I have no doubt, if Momma likes what she sees, Walker commits.

Sorry, I reread that and it is kinda confusing. Hope u all, understand my point

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
I think if the Vols win, Corey Walker commits and even if we lose, I think it is a very high possibility, he still commits. I think Walker wants to be coached/pushed hard by Barnes and company. If his Mom catches the UT vibe, imo Walker almost has his mind made up. Vols are in on a bunch a big time players (top 75) and he obviously wants in and the spots are open, right now. So while he can get in (Yes, even tho Walker is ranked around 33rd, I think he knows, he better get in, considering his size and position are not a priority, right now), he will. I have no doubt, if Momma likes what she sees, Walker commits.

Sorry, I reread that and it is kinda confusing. Hope u all, understand my point
I think all your points are well-said and reasonable. I was thinking along those same lines. When momma comes, the family is serious.

Reactions: The Dog
@bleedingTNorange Apologizing ahead of time for the bombardment of questions, but you seem to be pretty knowledgeable on where we are in recruiting.

I have spent the last two days getting caught up on 2020 Vols Basketball recruiting. Is it safe to say we are looking to bring in 2 guards, one man at the 3, and one big?

For the guards we'd be looking at Springer, Johnson, Stone, Rawls, and Cone. At SF we are looking at Walker, and Ruzhentsev. The one big would be Kessler, PJ Hall, or Keon Ambrose.

Do you see a scenario where we skip on a big in 2020? Seems like we are in on some big time talent at the 1-3 positions. If Walker jumps in the boat soon, do we back off on a guy like Ruzhentsev? If we miss on Rawls and Cone, are any of the other guards capable of playing PG, like Johnson or Springer?

It's pretty amazing that we may have to turn away guys that are ranked higher than one on our current team. Do you think Pemper and Gaines are worth us having to possibly skip out on players of this caliber?

@bleedingTNorange Apologizing ahead of time for the bombardment of questions, but you seem to be pretty knowledgeable on where we are in recruiting.

I have spent the last two days getting caught up on 2020 Vols Basketball recruiting. Is it safe to say we are looking to bring in 2 guards, one man at the 3, and one big?

For the guards we'd be looking at Springer, Johnson, Stone, Rawls, and Cone. At SF we are looking at Walker, and Ruzhentsev. The one big would be Kessler, PJ Hall, or Keon Ambrose.

Do you see a scenario where we skip on a big in 2020? Seems like we are in on some big time talent at the 1-3 positions. If Walker jumps in the boat soon, do we back off on a guy like Ruzhentsev? If we miss on Rawls and Cone, are any of the other guards capable of playing PG, like Johnson or Springer?

It's pretty amazing that we may have to turn away guys that are ranked higher than one on our current team. Do you think Pemper and Gaines are worth us having to possibly skip out on players of this caliber?
We can't really afford to skip on a big man in the 2020 class. We lose Alexander in 19, seem likely to lose Kent as well, then in 21, we lose Fulkerson and Walker. If we skip on a big man in 20, then we have a currently unproven DJ Burns and whatever freshman big men would come in the 2021 class.

I don’t think the staff is even close to being locked in on certain positions for 2020, their needs could change a ton by the time that class roles around, right now they’re just gonna recruit guys they like regardless of position.

I think Pember and Gaines are absolutely worth their scholarships and think they are going to surprise some people.

That's kind of what I was thinking. He would follow Schofield's last year where he just had NBA evaluate him without signing with an agent. Love Grant's game as a college player but at best he's not in the mold of a NBA forward as the game is played today size wise.
Tobias Harris is a pretty good NBA player and Williams will be as well. If he continues to develop his outside game he'll be an early 1st rounder next season. He's a late 1st early 2nd rounder right now.

VN Store

Back